Preview Port Adelaide (9th) v Footscray (4th) Rd 12 AO Sat 11th Jun @13:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Comparing the two is like saying who'd you rather out of Selwood or Pendlebury? Despite both playing inside mid they're completely different players, one is a raging bull & contested king whereas the other is a smooth mover with elite disposal & decision making.

Fwiw I'd still pick Ollie, he's not much older & he's been a big game player in a few more final wins, against Collingwood, Richmond & Fremantle he was in the best 2-3 on the ground.

Compared to the Bont who's talked up as a future hall of famer already I also think from a media & neutral supporter pov our Ollie is slightly underrated but coincidentally only when he's stitched up contract wise.

Last edited:

We need to run with two players this game.
Someone needs to do a defensive forward lockdown tag onto Matty Boyd and Ebert needs to run with the Bont. If we shut those two down, we are a big step closer to winning.

This is why we do the counter press...for games like this. We don't need a forward tag on an individual player - Boyd is going to find it tough enough to run the ball out of defense as it is with guys like Neade, Young and Impey all up in his grill.

Suckling is their Hartlett, with long kicks out of defense to try and stop that pressure, so that's who you need to keep an eye on. It's no surprise that they lost against North and GWS - two defensively competent teams - but won against Adelaide and Melbourne - two defensively incompetent teams - without him.

I'd put Ebert on Suckling to make him defensively accountable through goal scoring threat
and let Wines and Bontempelli go head to head (Did you know they haven't played on each other yet?) That will put their backline under pressure because they won't have the get out kick nor his speed to create space for guys like Boyd to exploit. Beveridge might do the same with Picken on Hartlett, but the difference is that we still have Pittard, Broadbent, Krakouer, Polec and Byrne-Jones that can get through the press, plus tall marking targets in Westhoff, Trengove and Howard who will run through the middle of the ground.

Last edited:
Forget umpires, forget conditions, forget Bulldogs away record.

Let's worry about our, OUR game.

We bring the heat, intensity and pressure and tackle hard I have no doubt we can get the chocolates tomorrow.

I know were all sick of hearing it but our runners, i.e. Jasper, Impey, DBJ, etc need to be BRAVE. Take the game on, break some tackles.

Does Jarsy have the confidence now to continue on from last weeks form?

Let's bloody hope so!

CARN

For once, I agree with you. Now, excuse me while I scrub the shame off my skin for the next hour.

Seriously though, the umpire whinging is getting as old as this blokes whiteboard jokes.

I think Ebert has to go to Lachlan Hunter.....He is their most dangerous.....Gets a lot of easy stats & then uses the ball well going forward.

I sat very close to the boundary line last week - Ollie is a beast inside stoppages and while it is not flashy work it is every bit as important as the flashy stuff that happens on the outside. He is as a valuable as any player we have.

That said, I suspect he is playing too heavy this year and not getting a balance of ball on the outside which is the next phase in his development.

I sat very close to the boundary line last week - Ollie is a beast inside stoppages and while it is not flashy work it is every bit as important as the flashy stuff that happens on the outside. He is as a valuable as any player we have.

That said, I suspect he is playing too heavy this year and not getting a balance of ball on the outside which is the next phase in his development.
50% of his possessions have been the outside uncontested this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he did for a little bit last year. I clearly remember an article comparing his first 50 games to the games best of the past 20 years. Right around the point where there was all the rumours he might go back to Vic. Once he re-signed... Nothing!
He wasn't even in the top 5 just then on Friday night footy. If he was playing in Vic he'd be considered a star. I don't care though he's a legend of this club.

I think Ebert has to go to Lachlan Hunter.....He is their most dangerous.....Gets a lot of easy stats & then uses the ball well going forward.

I wouldn't bother tagging hunter tbh. These days you can generally only afford one defensive player, and if you're going to tag a dog it would have to be the Bont. Hunter racks them up but he often isn't that damaging, hunter can be mediocre with 30 touches whereas Bont can tear you to pieces with 20.

Dahlhaus is the other player that I've seen teams tag this year which is interesting.

I've just smashed a container full of dumplings and watched Rioli goal and got me thinking.............'Why not leave Melbourne now, and do an epic road trip to Adelaide to watch the boys'.

Before I fill the thermo full of espresso, what are the chances getting a ticket at the game?
You'll get one easy, drive safe

I've just smashed a container full of dumplings and watched Rioli goal and got me thinking.............'Why not leave Melbourne now, and do an epic road trip to Adelaide to watch the boys'.

Before I fill the thermo full of espresso, what are the chances getting a ticket at the game?
I'm hoping for a good crowd, but it won't sell out.
You'll be sweet. :thumbsu:
Safe travels.

As for the whole Bont vs Wines thing, who cares? They aren't that similar as players, the only real thing they have in common is that they're both guns. Instead of comparing our relatively large appendages lets just enjoy the fact that we have them!
nice username, yes, very 2012 meta. nice.

Important question. I have my ezy ticket in my emails and it says to print. Do I really have to? Or can they just scan from the phone?

Important question. I have my ezy ticket in my emails and it says to print. Do I really have to? Or can they just scan from the phone?

I've never had a problem scanning from a phone at AO.

Great preview and great post passion. Really looking forward to this one.

Apparently the following is the go:
  • They have a favourable umpire
  • Stinger is a poor match up
  • They are good
Well * that s**t.
  • Get to the contest first
  • Send Austin to Stringer (for reals - I am a convinced)
  • We have big Dix
Port by Young, but if things go really well could be Port by Dixon

Much facial hair stroking by the great man when this comes about.

Go Ports

Remove this Banner Ad

Back