News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see the club being given assistance to further it’s effort to give back to the community around it.

If only all clubs in SA were so community minded
I really like the concept. Gill can accuse the Saints of sitting on their laurels, but not the mighty and community minded Port Adelaide Football Club.

Susan close just nodding and smiling in the background likes true politician. She has been a ******* horrible education minister. But whatever, this is good s**t.

I thought the redevelopment was worth $14 mill, but one report now stating $35 mill.
Would be battling to rake in that much moolah, even with Govt support, unless we have some significant $'s coming in from the China engagment.

I thought the redevelopment was worth $14 mill, but one report now stating $35 mill.
Would be battling to rake in that much moolah, even with Govt support, unless we have some significant $'s coming in from the China engagment.
Aboriginal Centre of Excellence announcement in July was for a $16-$18m centre, when Minisiter Scullion from the feds gave the club a cheque for $4, so we need to find up to $14m to complete it. So announced today was 6 items. Cut and pasting to explain the other 5

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-03-10/major-precinct-development-announced
It includes:
• Construction of an Aboriginal Centre of Excellence
Costs up to $18m

These 5 Things cost up to $17m
• A new high performance centre
Facilities will include a new swimming pool, gymnasium

• Development of a secondary training and rehabilitation field
** Mr Koch said that as part of the development, Alberton Oval would be slightly realigned to enable vacant ground behind the oval to be incorporated into a secondary training field. **

• A new Port Club containing a visitor centre and museum
a function centre which will also be available to the local community

• Upgrades to the Fos Williams Family Stand.
while spectator amenities at the ground will be upgraded.

• Development of a Premiership Walk at the entry to the oval and facilities

“The entire development will be contained within the current Alberton Oval precinct and is designed to set Port Adelaide up for ongoing success,” he said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this quote suggests the bowling club is staying put. Not sure how this works with the realignment of the oval though.
Yep the renders show the bowling club is going nowhere. Its that grass area that used to be the croquet club, as well as behind the goals, that will be used. KT said yesterday about the oval being able to be adjusted to MCG size. I'm not really sure what that means but I think they are trying to set up a space big enough that they can have say 1.3 ovals, not 2 full ovals and shift goal posts and have a area marked out that replicates the MCG area of 160m x 141m boundary to boundary dimensions. Alberton Oval's boundary dimensions at the moment is 170m x 130m. not sure how they are going to make it 'fatter."

Edit; Since I posted this I have changed my mind about the bowling green staying. See my post below about the Aboriginal Centre of Excellence being build on the bowling green land.

Last edited:
Aboriginal Centre of Excellence announcement in July was for a $16-$18m centre, when Minisiter Scullion from the feds gave the club a cheque for $4, so we need to find up to $14m to complete it. So announced today was 6 items. Cut and pasting to explain the other 5

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-03-10/major-precinct-development-announced
It includes:
• Construction of an Aboriginal Centre of Excellence
Costs up to $18m

These 5 Things cost up to $17m
• A new high performance centre
Facilities will include a new swimming pool, gymnasium

• Development of a secondary training and rehabilitation field
** Mr Koch said that as part of the development, Alberton Oval would be slightly realigned to enable vacant ground behind the oval to be incorporated into a secondary training field. **

• A new Port Club containing a visitor centre and museum
a function centre which will also be available to the local community

• Upgrades to the Fos Williams Family Stand.
while spectator amenities at the ground will be upgraded.

• Development of a Premiership Walk at the entry to the oval and facilities

“The entire development will be contained within the current Alberton Oval precinct and is designed to set Port Adelaide up for ongoing success,” he said.

Thanks REH. That explains the distribution of cost well.

Will parking be a problem, with the grassed area behind the Scott HQ and the bitumen parks behind the canteen they use now being utilised in future for a new building and an extension to the playing field (extra training and rehab area)? Especially withcommunity useage of some of the facilities they envisage.

Maybe the 3 double sized properties on the corner of Colson and Fifth Streets could be puchased for future carparking!

From the video. Note the monogram in the second render:

9azAI2X.jpg

MCw3HTP.jpg

lV1MD4n.jpg

Those renders initially didn't make sense, so I expanded the 1st one Alyx put up.

upload_2018-3-11_14-58-30.png

My first thought was they were going change the orientation of the ground from north south to east west, because the building in the bottom right hand corner of the photo looks more like the Alan Scott HQ than Quinn stand.

So as its still north south then bottom right hand corner is Quinn stand, then the Williams stand then a massive new building is going up and they are going to get rid of the bowling green - which looks like the Aboriginal Centre of Excellence. It looks like they will have more buildings to the left of that and behind the southern goals.

Then there is a decent grassed mound in the scoreboard pocket and half forward flank. Koch said - enable vacant ground behind the oval to be incorporated into a secondary training field, but that render looks like the field is to left of the southern HFF and wing but that might just be left as a blank space by the architect.

And this New High Perfomance Centre will be built to the left of the existing Alan Scott Centre. They will have to remove and replant the Lone Pine Meorial.

I tooka Google Earth picture and rotating the orientation to compare it to the render.

upload_2018-3-11_15-7-23.png

Last edited:
I wrote this in the members convention thread but I will copy it over here because there is a bit of an arms race to build new facilities, give the players better facilities, but also attach income producing businesses next to the precinct.

The new footy arms race is mega facilities.
* Fremantle moved into their $109m one late last year they share with Cockburn council ad Edith Cowan Uni.
* WCE are building a $70m facility at Lathlain Park 3km east of Perth stadium.
* Brisbane are on their 3rd plan and are looking at trying to raise $70m from the feds and Qld governments for a new home in Springwood about 30km SW of Brisbane,
* Gold Coast have moved into their new facility next to Carrara stadium which they will have full use of the $40m+ faility after the Comm Games and are going to get a training oval upgraded to stadium standard in front of this building post Comm Games when the training track is ripped up.
* GWS have use of facilities at Sydney Olympic Park as well as what they built at Tom Wills Oval.

* The Hawks will build a new $60m home at Dingley.
* St Kilda are raising $30m doing up Moorabbin.
* Geelong are looking at a facility in partnership with Deakin Uni for a relatively cheap $20m, but also assessing if they move futher down the coast to the $350m Cape Ottway Road Australia (CORA) sports facility and housing project that will cater for the 9 most popular sports in Oz
* Collingwood have spent $35m and continue to spend monies doing up the Glasshouse next to their oval and they still have use of the Lexus centre or whatever its called these days.
*A developer of the North Melbourne area building housing for 25,000 people is helping to fund a $15m development at Arden St.
* Essendon spent $30m+ in their Hangar facility at Tullamarine which they moved to in 2014.
*Western Bulldogs $30m+ and
* Richmond $20m+ have built their mega facilities in the last 5 years.

The board has a strategy to compete against that but we have not secured the monies for such facilities. If we are depending on Chinese monies for that we could be waiting awhile. Time is a free asset to the Chinese and they take their time. Having waited for over 2 years for the Chinese to release monies for a project I'm working on, I wouldnt hold my breath on any quick announcements. We have lucked out big time in finding Mr Gui and how quickly he has moved things. Its why people who do business in China come to the club and ask how the hell we have achieved so much in such a short time.

Well we have made the announcement of what we want to do. Now gotta focus on getting the monies to do these redevelopments. The bowling green one might be a s**t fight with the council and/or residents.

Sounds like the ground will be re-aligned more north-south and that grassed area and car park on the eastern side will become the secondary training area. Vale the bowling greens?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...17211e6dc!8m2!3d-34.864387!4d138.518192?dcr=0

I don’t think that they will move in the bowling club. There is as much history in that club as on the footy oval. Doesn’t fit the community club image either.

Plus my grandfather’s name is on the honour board in that bowls club, so I hope not.

a great hope for the development and supporting indigenous learning, kind of sad to have the sacred and traditional 'Oval' playing shape/surface modified to an MCG circle, a lot of football joy/success and resting places with that oval configuration.

That's progress and has to happen for us to attain the best we can be and aesthetics/functionality

I don’t think that they will move in the bowling club. There is as much history in that club as on the footy oval. Doesn’t fit the community club image either.

Plus my grandfather’s name is on the honour board in that bowls club, so I hope not.

I'm just going by those renders - I can't see where the bowling club would fit in. Mind you, a lot of architectural renders are highly 'idealised' and bear little likeness to the final product, so let's wait for more details/info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back