Game Day Port Adelaide v Geelong Cats Thursday 1 October 2020 - 7:40 PM (AEST) - Qual Final 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well well well...

Its September, well October really..which means Finals time - but none the less once again for the 11th time in 14 years we find ourselves neck deep in it with the double chance.

To the chagrin of several, some even supporters here, we have achieved what the club puts forward as their goal every year - to put themselves in a position to contend in the Finals.

That box has been ticked.

Now, what needs to happen is an improvement, sternness and resolve not seen in the club at this juncture of the season for a few years.

The Finals is a different beast and we have not been good here overall.

This year, the cattle is different. The expereinces are greater. The season has been way harder and topsy turvy requirement wise. Can we now adapt and steel ourselves for the last push?

Port will be ready - at home as Minor Premiers. Both clubs rested after the bye and with mostly full lists.

This should be a cracking game and the Prelim path awaits the winner.

We need 3 more wins.

Lets get the first tonight.

GO Catters

Its game day peeps. Lets get excited.

tonight we finally break my football hating wifes finals curse that she bestowed upon me when we got engaged in 2012 (on the night of the freemantle final) because Ive now won the battle of the child and finally swung him around to being a geelong supporter despite my wife trying to infect him with an anti sport football mentality. hes been to 6 games this year and all wins. I now have a good luck charm to fight off the curse.

go cats and go Gazza.

tonight we finally break my football hating wifes finals curse that she bestowed upon me when we got engaged in 2012 (on the night of the freemantle final) because Ive now won the battle of the child and finally swung him around to being a geelong supporter despite my wife trying to infect him with an anti sport football mentality. hes been to 6 games this year and all wins. I now have a good luck charm to fight off the curse.

go cats and go Gazza.
This could literally be the difference!
Well done for your successful 8 year campaign :)

go cats and go Gazza.

Not going to lie, that kind of story rules. I'm sure my dad had incredible catharsis once he swung me around from being a Hawks supporter at a very young age to wanting to be a Cats member by 2004. And then come 2007 it was all so very worth it.

The rational part of me: just another game; we have been good this year and are a good chance tonight. We’ve been waiting all year for this opportunity. We’ve got stars all over the park. We’re fit and ready to go. I’m excited. Let’s do this.

The nuffy part of me: stressed out of my head. I’ll check the scores at quarter time and decide from there.

Last edited:
The rational part of me: just another game; we have been good this year and are a good chance tonight. We’ve been waiting all year for this opportunity. We’ve got stars all over the park. We’re fit and ready to go. I’m excited. Let’s do this.

The nuffy part of me: stressed out of my head. I’ll check the scores at quarter time and decide from there.

I reckon I'll be deciding in the first 10 minutes.

Nervous as hell.

Not going to lie, that kind of story rules. I'm sure my dad had incredible catharsis once he swung me around from being a Hawks supporter at a very young age to wanting to be a Cats member by 2004. And then come 2007 it was all so very worth it.
Any tips for trying to get two little people onto the cats? Their mum has a competing interest and I'm losing ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd have to be pretty mad to have unfaltering confidence heading into this one. We are deservedly the 4th ranked team this season, even with Port and Brisbane getting home games their consistency over the whole season has been a bit higher. Playing an away final interstate is tough, let alone taking on one of the top couple of teams. Then there is our finals record, particularly in week 1 matches. I wouldn't draw too long a bow here as the team has changed dramatically in the last couple of years, but some scars are there for at least half of the team - can the relative newbies shake these away? Or will redemption be on the cards for the others? In all likelihood, the team will lose. But we have to give them a mighty good challenge and not have any disastrous quarters to get a pass mark.

Having said all that, even with a healthy dose of "realism" or "cynicism", I am still just as excited as nervous. I always am for a big game as there is plenty of time to wallow in disappointment after the end result. I'm ecstatic that we are up there in contention and will back the boys from the first bounce to the last, dealing with the autopsy thereafter. I think we all owe them that.

I reckon I'll be deciding in the first 10 minutes.

Nervous as hell.
It’s understandable people are scarred from finals in recent years but our most recent two finals we started well. We led Richmond at QT and were four goals up against WC at QT.

There’s a bit of a narrative I’ve seen this week that we need to do something different at the start. I don’t know about that. If we kick 4-5 goals in the first quarter like we have in our last two finals I’ll be feeling good.

Im sure it was. Ive found it one of the greatest struggles as a parent. And its made worse because you are competing with your partner rather than working with them.

Heading to the game tonight and super nervous. Got to say I'm torn between serious concerns over our form heading into tonight when looking at our last two games of the season and real confidence about how settled and healthy our team looks. We really do look good on paper so need to transfer that.

I must say I will be shattered if we lose obviously but won't have a problem at all if we get done in a close hard fought contest playing up to our best. What I absolutely won't be able to handle is if we turn our toes up because there are absolute no excuses whatsoever tonight. I am one of the biggest Scott supporters but if we get done easily or smashed early there will be simply no excuses.

COME ON CATTERS LETS ******* SMASH THIS BUNCH OF ************ hahahaha

You had some tough years. A Cats flag with the Hawks in their current state is surely due. I hope if we lose, she has to sleep on the couch...

She's already reasoning that the flag this year isn't legitimate....... It's the 'Covid Flag'

No winning here mate.

Sometimes I hate footy season 😕

It’s understandable people are scarred from finals in recent years but our most recent two finals we started well. We led Richmond at QT and were four goals up against WC at QT.

There’s a bit of a narrative I’ve seen this week that we need to do something different at the start. I don’t know about that. If we kick 4-5 goals in the first quarter like we have in our last two finals I’ll be feeling good.

Yes, my confidence will rise too if such a first quarter unfolds. I just dunno if I can watch the first bounce 😯

Any tips for trying to get two little people onto the cats? Their mum has a competing interest and I'm losing ground

If I could get back into the headspace of myself as a child in 2004 I'd probably stay a while and get lost in pleasant thoughts free from the current state of the world...

The best advice I have is to try and highlight players they find fun to watch. Ronnie Burns was a big part of it for me in those early years, and I've gotten my two year old to very clearly build the association that football = Tommy Hawkins to the point where if she sees Rugby on she'll now ask where Tommy Hawkins is.

Just so nervous about the start.

I remember putting my hands in my head at about the 20 minute mark of the Collingwood final last year knowing we were gone. The Hawkins and Rohan's misses. Taylor and Toohey falling over each other Kolo dropping a sitter....Still burns and I will throw up if same happens tonight

She's already reasoning that the flag this year isn't legitimate....... It's the 'Covid Flag'

No winning here mate.

Sometimes I hate footy season 😕

Sounds like winning flags just after the introduction of expansion sides ...or flags against intestate teams ... one can use any logic if you want to spray disparagment like spit from a wet talker. My bet is it would be very legit if Hawks were top of the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back