Preview Port Adelaide vs Brisbane - Round 1 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still favourites. It boggles the mind.

Beyond the respective form/recent history of the two sides, literally any other club in the comp would have had a media-driven Royal Commission into their dreadful home ground record by now.

Instead we’re still treated to ThE PoRtReSs mythology.

It’s very strange.

The bookies love us for whatever reason. In 2021 we started every game as favourite except the round 23 game against the Bulldogs (which we won). Pretty much every home game we start favourite no matter who the opposition is despite close to a decade of evidence suggesting we're worse than a 50-50 bet against good opposition at home.

Wonder what the odds would be on Port Adelaide starting 5-0, flag favourites and a Kern extension by end of April?

I'm getting that 2013 vibe

Wonder what the odds would be on Port Adelaide starting 5-0, flag favourites and a Kern extension by end of April?

Really? How s**t was our form in the 13 preseason? I genuinely don't remember

I'm getting more a 'sitting around the comatose, slowly expiring nana - waiting for her to shuffle off this mortal coil so we can have the funeral and get on with our lives' vibe

I'm getting more a 'sitting around the comatose, slowly expiring nana - waiting for her to shuffle off this mortal coil so we can have the funeral and get on with our lives' vibe

I remember we were narrowly beaten by Melbourne in the preseason despite very much keeping our powder dry.

As a result, when we came out and absolutely blew them away in Round 1 as heavy underdogs it was a shock to everyone but Port fans.

This is…. markedly different.

People diminish pre season form but the only teams that haven't won a game in this fortnight of action are North, Port, Hawthorn and the SUNS, which seems legit enough to me.

Also there's a difference between maybe one of your games being poor to average and both being poor to average. We have just looked completely flat and there isn't much to hang our hats on heading into a red hot tough start to the season.

The real worrying thing to me is there is no genuine enthusiasm and excitement coming from the players and the coaches. Everyone just trotting out the same boring s**t they trotted out last summer.
I agree.

But I’m not sure if that’s due to everyone being way too comfortable or everyone is simply in a holding pattern waiting for the change in coach.
If it’s the latter you can hardly blame I guess what’s the point working for someone who you know is gone in 12 months.

It is a good line up Macca at least on paper anyway.
Yet most us (myself included) reckon we’ll get belted which begs the questions the question WTF is going on.
It doesn’t help that not only are we poorly coached, we also have numerous players starting the season in poor touch (Wines, Butters), form (Georgiades, Marshall) or already cooked (Lycett, Jonas, possibly Dixon). Then you’ve got others like Burton, Aliir and Houston who just don’t look as sharp as in previous years. We needed everyone on song for round 1, especially two of our key mids, our ruckman and our entire tall forward line.

People diminish pre season form but the only teams that haven't won a game in this fortnight of action are North, Port, Hawthorn and the SUNS, which seems legit enough to me.

Also there's a difference between maybe one of your games being poor to average and both being poor to average. We have just looked completely flat and there isn't much to hang our hats on heading into a red hot tough start to the season.
Plus being down thousands of members they would've wanted some good results after the disappointing year we've just had in order to build some hope and momentum leading into the season and sell a few more memberships.

I went to the WCE port game and I didn't take one positive away from the game other than JHF will be good and butters would return to the side

We lack goal scorers, lack spread, lack rebound out of defence, lack ruck option and get beaten in the air around the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went to the WCE port game and I didn't take one positive away from the game other than JHF will be good and butters would return to the side

We lack goal scorers, lack spread, lack rebound out of defence, lack ruck option and get beaten in the air around the ground
We are nowhere near competitive enough in aerial contests around the ground.

Nah not the results, just a feeling.

or it might be incontinence…..

Our game plan of pushing the team up and getting a bunch of crap forward 50 entries and then Brisbane countering will go out the window.

Brisbane will probably pin us in our own back half for the whole game. We probs will end up with way less inside 50's, but with more space maybe it could be easier to hit some targets going forward.
If history has shown us anything, we do tend to pin them in our half for long periods, but they've been the team that has been able to escape our press easier than anyone else, whilst stopping us from actually scoring from our entries better than anyone else.

Then once they've stopped us and hurt us on the counter, they deliver the knockout blow with their ability to score a bunch quickly from the centre square.

They literally have exploited our 2 biggest weaknesses for a while, get through our zone and we concede scores, get clean exits out of centre clearance and we concede scores.

To win this we would need to play a level of football we haven't seen in many years. It won't happen. We are cooked.

It's never been more obvious our players and coaching staff are out of ideas. We refuse to rebuild our gameplan and keep banging our heads up against a brick wall, expecting different results doing the same thing.

The other glaring concern is 2 preseasons in a row that have led to early season performances where our players look surprised by the AFL level intensity and underprepared for it. For mine, this is a stale coaching thing. Our players are comfortable, they believe their hype and they cruise through preseason, into the games and just expect to be successful. Nothing is sparking them to push harder or step it up a notch, they're comfortable and they play like it. Literally re-watch the preseason so far and watch how many times players were just jogging and trying to execute. Houston gave a perfect example on the weekend, clearly being closed down and he's just jogging and taking his time to kick before being smothered. Our boys are just not prepared, they don't train at the right intensity levels and they are way too comfortable with our current regime.

The warning signs are brighter than the AO lights, we are literally 3-4 weeks away from planning for 2024 and as much as I want Hinkley gone it's devastating to know we will have to sit through this s**t for a whole year, without even having our new coach and plans in place.

This board is able to predict pretty accurately how our pre-season form translates to regular season form.

Recently I remember us getting smoked by Melbourne at Elizabeth in 2016 making it apparent we weren't going to continue where we left off in 2014.

Our 2020 pre season was very strong, we had dangerous, slick ball movement and I said we'd be hard to beat that year and was mostly right.

2022 & 2023 highlighted more structural, motivational and personnel issues and as a result this season makes me think we'll be a long way off our best.

Well the real concern isn't that we're losing, it's that we're playing these games on our terms and still losing. Dominating field position, having significantly more I50s, that's literally our blueprint, and preseason or not, it's failing. If we can't get results when we have the game the way we want it, against a bottom 2 side and a 5-8 team at best, then we're in trouble.

In fact I'm terrified of what the results could look like this year when the game isn't on our terms. Especially given how easy we are to score against.

Gonna be such a wasted year. Pull the pin * ken off.

Nah let him stew in his juices. No payout should be our mantra. Let's let Kochie and Kenny deal with the week by week

cluster* playing out. If the neighbours knock us off even the happy clappers will find "showdowns are always 50/50 dribble" too much to swallow.

As Keating* said to Hewson "I want to do you slowly... there's got to be a bit of sport in this for all of us."

Watch Kochie n Ken gag on their, best list i've had and the season non review announced on TV.

Feed Tredders our incriminating stats and remind the facebook cheer squad that the 'white noise' members were NOT initially invited to the BnF.

Come showdown and the inevitable endless loop of Dawson jagging that goal to a jizzing crowd of geriatrics and media ho's let's flood social media

with Donuts grinning head on the sidelines. Nah let's have Ken n Kochie week after week trying to excuse the inexcusable.

Ram their own BS down their throats. Hinkley and his millions need an honest uncomfortable and humiliating exit.

An exit played out over weeks and weeks... let's say 11. Each week representing a year of the fraud's wages.

August sounds fine by me. Thanks Kochie choke on your own words.

I mean people are right in a sense the result in preseason games is irrelevant, but what you need to see is some fluent play & indications that you are prepared well for the season. I mean jeezus we are still getting the working hard on it crap 11 years deep.

I'd love to believe there's a magic round 1 switch for this group, but once again it looks like a stale group bogged down in a dirgeball gameplan that does nothing but create a backfoot mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back