Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind it for this year given the decision was made with the information on hand at the time

Longer term, it's a s**t idea

Perhaps reducing the game to 5 minute quarters and calling it F20 or perhaps not even playing the game and deciding a winner by the coin toss. AFL should target their market to those who love footy rater than trying to appeal to those that don't. Look at what T20 has done to the quality of cricket............cricket is an embarrassment these days.

Does the AFL really want to own a product that is an embarrassment?

I don't mind it for this year given the decision was made with the information on hand at the time

Longer term, it's a s**t idea

Perhaps reducing the game to 5 minute quarters and calling it F20 or perhaps not even playing the game and deciding a winner by the coin toss. AFL should target their market to those who love footy rater than trying to appeal to those that don't. Look at what T20 has done to the quality of cricket............cricket is an embarrassment these days.

Does the AFL really want to own a product that is an embarrassment?
Yes, if it spins money and keeps the AFLPA happy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I'm ok with West Coast. I respect them. They get results despite the travel.

The Eagles are a bizarro world version of the Crows if they were run competently and didn't have the SANFL leeching them.

It's genuinely amazing that with all the natural advantages they have simply by existing that the Crows have been so unsuccessful over the last 20 years. They should be another West Coast, but they're barely Fremantle.

Last edited:
The Eagles are a bizarro world version of the Crows if they were run competently and didn't have the SANFL leeching them.

It's genuinely amazing that with all the natural advantages they have simply by existing that the Crows have been so unsuccessful over the last 20 years. They should be another West Coast, but they're barely Fremantle.

The blank stares you get when you suggest if the SANFL weren't robbing them blind for 30 years what they could have been is quite telling.

and they still strut around claiming they're one of the Big 4 / Have clubs

Nope, they're just...

R-5835814-1404042417-1175.jpeg.jpg

The size of the asterisk next to the premiership will depend on which team wins it. If for instance Port or Freo won it, everyone will be queuing up to say what a worthless achievement it was. If Hawthorn or Richmond win it, they'll talk for decades about what a meritorious, amazing backs to the wall triumph it was.

The size of the asterisk next to the premiership will depend on which team wins it. If for instance Port or Freo won it, everyone will be queuing up to say what a worthless achievement it was. If Hawthorn or Richmond win it, they'll talk for decades about what a meritorious, amazing backs to the wall triumph it was.
Even though imo this should be reversed

You're right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see how this season would need an asterix. Each team plays eachother once then finals series. Technically it's a more even year than normal for the competition.
Just off the top of my head:

Carlton flags 80's - 2000's - Brown paper bags
Brisbane 2001 - 2003 - IV drips
Geelong 2007 - Dank Lite
Bulldogs 2016 - Umpired to victory

Plenty of flags have Asterix's. Don't get bogged down in the weeds, Asterix or Obelix beside it right now, the Vital Statistix is in 5 years, let alone 20 no one is going to be going, 'Oh, but 2020 didn't count!'. I don't want Ken as coach, but if this truncated, mutated season gets us a flag him staying on for 2021 would be a small price to pay for it. Everyone outside Feel will not have arms crossed if it happens.

Just off the top of my head:

Carlton flags 80's - 2000's - Brown paper bags
Brisbane 2001 - 2003 - IV drips
Geelong 2007 - Dank Lite
Bulldogs 2016 - Umpired to victory

Plenty of flags have Asterix's. Don't get bogged down in the weeds, Asterix or Obelix beside it right now, the Vital Statistix is in 5 years, let alone 20 no one is going to be going, 'Oh, but 2020 didn't count!'. I don't want Ken as coach, but if this truncated, mutated season gets us a flag him staying on for 2021 would be a small price to pay for it. Everyone outside Feel will not have arms crossed if it happens.

Add to list: Wesfarmers Eagles 1992 and 1994 state team after a thousand draft concessions. And 2005: drugs.

s**t the last thing I want is another WC premiership ( apart from a Crows, Geelong, Richmond or Collingwood one)
Yeah totally fine with West Coast getting another premiership.

They're so big that we don't really compete with them in any way
non-Victorian
makes Crows look doubly bad (it should be them)

They're probably one of the least worst teams that a Port supporter could hope to win it.

The blank stares you get when you suggest if the SANFL weren't robbing them blind for 30 years what they could have been is quite telling.
The relationship between Crows supporters and the SANFL is the living, breathing example of Stockholm Syndrome, the phenomenon whereby victims feel empathy and sympathy for their abusers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back