Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Travis Boak's performance that day to thank for avoiding that embarrassment. He was huge.

I also remember guys like Salopek, Daniel Motlop and Brett Ebert having a field day in that game and then literally never playing a single good game for the club ever again.

Salopek and Motlop never actually played for the club again so that's not saying much ;)

Big week for the MRO. 3 Rohan, Long And Shiel should all get lengthy suspensions.

I think Long’s is the worst. That type of front on bump when a players head over the ball has so much potential to cause injury. Rohan second and Shiel 3rd, although if Taylor has a broken jaw Shiel will be in big strife.

Haven’t they already handed down Rohan’s penalty? Got off one charge and a fine for the other I think.

Serious question for people now that I've seen his name. I was pretty young when we were s**t house and for reference on that I thought Dan Motlop was our best player by a mile.

Was Salopek actually a great but mismanaged talent or has he just been ironically/seriously hyped up after the fact?

King looks great too

If they trade their next couple of years first-round picks for decent defenders and players that can lead, they should challenge in 3 years time.
If they can't do that. Shut them down.

Serious question for people now that I've seen his name. I was pretty young when we were sh*t house and for reference on that I thought Dan Motlop was our best player by a mile.

Was Salopek actually a great but mismanaged talent or has he just been ironically/seriously hyped up after the fact?

Slaughtered by injury. Basically should’ve been the rough equivalent of Nick Dal Santo.

If he hadn’t suffered glandular fever in 2004 he probably sneaks in as the 21st or 22nd man in the flag.

We probably should've taken the spoon out in 2011 to be honest. The sliding doors of that final game against Melbourne being played in front of 10k at Football Park rather than a full house at Adelaide Oval is fascinating from that perspective.

I will go to my grave arguing the virtues of that win. That solitary win is what gave our club hope and the fine thread that connects our current club to our SANFL past did not break. If we lost that game, I don't think that thread would have held.

Throw in the fact that our audacity to play a game at AO and draw a huge crowd is what shone a very bright light on where the problems actually laid, it was a massive day in the long term context of our club.

Of all the wins I've seen 'live' that one was very, very special for quite a number of reasons.

Last edited:
We have Travis Boak's performance that day to thank for avoiding that embarrassment. He was huge.

I also remember guys like Salopek, Daniel Motlop and Brett Ebert having a field day in that game and then literally never playing a single good game for the club ever again.

Salopek and Motlop literally never played for the club again.

yep this, didn’t help that chocco played him out of position as well

We marked the cards of certain players frighteningly early from a positional sense.

If Choco hangs around Robbie never goes into the middle: ‘too fragile’, ‘doesn’t have the tank for it’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good was his torp.

I will go to my grave arguing the virtues of that win. That solitary win is what gave our club hope and the fine thread that connects our current club to our SANFL past did not break. If we lost that game, I don't think that thread would have held.

Throw in the fact that our audacity to play a game at AO and draw a huge crowd is what shone a very bright light on where the problems actually laid, it was a massive day in the long term context of our club.

Of all the wins I've seen 'live' that one was very, very special for quite a number of reasons.
Many years after that game Broges said the players were awe struck when they ran out. He stood in the centre square before the first bounce looked all around

the ground at the crowd and said to a team mate "how f**king good is this". I stood at the northern end near the scoreboard on that beautiful day and shed a tear

at the final siren. IIRC Boaky was huge that day.

We probably should've taken the spoon out in 2011 to be honest. The sliding doors of that final game against Melbourne being played in front of 10k at Football Park rather than a full house at Adelaide Oval is fascinating from that perspective.

And as is the way of modern AFL we would have gained nothing for it, with GWS having the first 5 picks and 11 of the first 14. We probably would have taken Wingard at #1 anyway.

Those days of juicy multiple top 5 picks that benefited struggling VFL clubs were long gone.

I've got an official "Adelaide Oval" - "The Inaugural AFL Match" framed poster hanging on a wall at home.

I've got an official "Adelaide Oval" - "The Inaugural AFL Match" framed poster hanging on a wall at home.
It seemed like everybody there was aware of how historic that day was. As our song says "There's history here in the making".

Another seminal moment was our first gathering in the Mall with KT addressing a crowd of thousands. He was hugged and kissed before he got to the mic

and was quite emotional as he got onto a small podium.

I agree profoundly with your sentiment. That game is one of the highlights of my time as a Port supporter. I remember some people at the time trying to argue for the spoon. But I went to that game wanting to win, like every single game Port Adelaide plays. There was a lot of hope at the end of that game. I don't think an additional spot up the draft ladder would've been better.

Best goal ever hands down fu** matthew Lloyd

Lol. A 50m checkside from the boundary that maybe 0.01% of all players who ever took the field could execute, bested by a novelty goal that a member of the public could do.

I see the Sandful games are back at their traditional sponsor name grounds now and are capped at a maximum attendance of 1000. They can't have whatever figure the one person per two square metres rule would allow though because they haven't had their COVID-19 management plan approved by SA Health yet (what the * have they been doing for the last how many months?).

It looks like they're restricting entry to ticketed members only, so some clubs might struggle to get the 1000 anyway.

I agree profoundly with your sentiment. That game is one of the highlights of my time as a Port supporter. I remember some people at the time trying to argue for the spoon. But I went to that game wanting to win, like every single game Port Adelaide plays. There was a lot of hope at the end of that game. I don't think an additional spot up the draft ladder would've been better.

BE8481E9-FA76-4FB8-AF49-CC694CA15E8F.jpeg

Yeah, if we picked at 4 (17th-placed Gold Coast traded it to GWS for their Mini-Draft Pick) we still take Chad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back