Autopsy Positives and Negatives Vs Norf round 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimately we were 1-3 and have finished 12-5. Given the doom and gloom on here after the 1-3, rightfully so, the boys ticked damn near every box they could have to finish the season right in with a chance.

From here it's anyone's guess, as I expect these finals will be really weird after such a strange season. If you'd offered us 12-5 or a chance to play the season out completely when we were 1-3, I know what I'd have taken.

Bring it on.
12 wins in a 17 round season is the equivalent to 15.5 in a 22 round season. I would have said that would earn top 4 for sure at the start of the year. Unlucky if we miss out on %.

Our 8 game winning streak was also the equivalent to a 10 game streak in a 22 round season. Was a huge achievement that got us back into the season.

In saying all this, we just seem to be lacking momentum and cohesion due to all the injuries. Not sure we can just flick a switch and go to another level.

That was ugly.

+Ryan is something special. Would love a permanent move into the midfield.
+Duggan is a beast of a man.
+Nelson is so damn assured with footy in hand. I think his cool head and disposal is very underrated...what happened to the crab prior to 2020?
+Williams looking good for the future.

-The whole game. I don't think I've ever been so bored watching the eagles win.
-JK ankle
-Petch has gone backwards.
-Tackling was the worst I've seen in a long time.

Glad the game is over. Can't wait for finals.

Not counting GWS or lolDees who wont make the 8

We are a 50% chance of playing St Kilda if we finish 5th
25% chance of The Dogs
25% chancce of Collingwood

Thats good IMO as we can beat St Kilda but the Dogs and Collingwood especially Collingwood in finals at Perth is bad

If we do finish fifth, I hope we get some players back and thrash the hell out of the Bulldogs at Optus for having the impudence to cost us a top 4 spot.

Do you think not playing any football of any description prior to being called up to play AFL could be a factor?

What was the excuse last year when he was making the same mistakes? Let's not pretend this is new issues for him.

He lacks skill and composure, he needs to work on those fundamentals if he's going to make it.

After game report.

That was a close game and we didn't look convincing but our class got us over the line. Norf were all over us in the first quarter and we're lucky that they couldn't convert shots otherwise we can kiss top 4 goodbye. Liam Ryan (lock him in for AA for sure) and Oscar Allen saved our bacon with clutchness at goal when the game was tied and opened the game up. We missed 19 tackles which is a huge concern, goes to show that we're missing, Yeo, Shuey and Redden who are our best tacklers although Duggan and Cole sticked their tackles.

In the first quarter, Norf were executing their plan of moving the ball fast and it worked as our defense were unable to set up but as the game went on, the dew was starting to take effect and Norf started to fumble more and their fast ball movement was killed as soon as fumbling happened in the corridor and we were able to turn it over and get an inside 50 entry. Kelly was clearly down on form but probably someone played a run with role on him probably Simpkin. Duggan was great for us and provided the hardness that Redden and Yeo had in the middle. Nic Nat beaten Goldstein in the ruck so surely he's the lock for AA. Sheppard has been great in defense making some saving spoils another lock for AA.

I noticed that Norf were able to rebound the ball out of our forward line with ease. That's the consequence of having too many lumbering talls in the forward line is if they don't mark it, it will be crumbed by the oppo and rebounded at will. I noticed Barrass's spoils gets crumbed by the oppo due to lack of our players in his area.

Positives +

+ Nic Nat performed well against another AA caliber ruck in Goldstein and even beaten him in the hitouts so Nic Nat surely has to start in the AA team otherwise I will lose my sanity. Played 78% TOG.
+ Liam Ryan saved us again, absolute gun and should be lock for AA. I love his decision making in traffic which helped us go forward also damaging in the air too.
+ Hurn was one of our bests in the team with his old penetrating kicks giving us an attacking edge and was great down back when Norf had us under siege.
+ Sheppard very good down back surely deserves AA.
+ Duggan was great in the midfield, gaining meters and had that Redden and Yeo mongrel. Very important for us when Yeo and Redden went down.
+ Schoey was our best key defender of the night nullifying Zuhaar and Larkey when on them and attacking the footy hard being not afraid to leave his man to give us an outnumber.
+ Nelson was also good down back clearing everything that went his way apart from getting done HTB in the back 50 which he thought he was Yeo at one point.
+ AhChee was decent but missed easy shots.
+ Rotham and Barrass was also solid down back as well which helped us repel Norf's inside 50 entries.
+ Sheed was good in the middle so was Gaff.
+ Allen was huge in the fourth quarter and kicked three clutch goals. Broke the game open when it was tied.
+ Darling competed well.
+ Williams was decent in his support to Nic Nat and bought the ball to ground when up forward and attracted the best defender when up forward allowing Darling and Allen more freedom.
+ Ainsworth is improving and his decision making has gotten better whereas he looked lost early in the season. Yeah I was one of those Ainsworth bashers early on when he was WAFL standard at the time but now I'm soo happy that he's improved and belongs in this level. We should give guys like Brayshaw, Foley, Edwards, XON and Reid a chance before we say anything like "delist please".
+ Winning without JK and being a man down. Lets hope JK's ankle recovers before finals.
+ Thankfully we had the class to put them away.

Negatives -

- I'm not optimistic that JK will recover in time for finals.
- Kelly down on form and looked cooked, probably got tagged (thank goodness Steele didn't tag him last week or we lose). Disposal by foot is poor too many hitting the side of the boot.
- Oh god please help me: Norf broke 19 tackles. Our tackles didn't even stick and allowed Norf to propel the footy forward without pressure. Yeo and Redden back should help us stick tackles although Yeo may not be available late into finals.
- Not a convincing win at all against a bottom side. If we dish this up against a top caliber team then I guarantee our 2020 season is finished and no we're NOT winning the flag if we continue to dish up this rubbish.
- Got very lucky that Norf can't kick straight early on otherwise we can kiss top 4 goodbye.
- We're absolutly trash in Metricon, teams will be ecstatic if they play us in Metricon.
- Too fumbly but we're lucky Norf was also fumbly in the second half.
- Petch has unfortunately regressed and his decision making skills has been poor lately. I was fuming very loudly when he didn't put any effort to pressure thus allowing Norf to move the ball when he's in the vincinity. He's not using his speed to his advantage. I missed the early 2019 version of Petch but to be fair he was coming off a long term injury, lack of practice matches and restricted training regimen so he'll need time to regain form although he's been poor at the start of the year too. I reckon we should start him as the deepest forward to make use of his pace by leading at the footy more.
- Waterman worked hard but went missing.
- Foley was pretty quiet but I back him to improve in the future.
- Ground ball gets have been poor. I get we're a trash ground ball get side but in wet slippery conditions, this is very important in finals against a cleaner team.

+ teams kicking stink against us.

essendon 6,9
bulldogs 6,13
st kilda 6,14
nth 4,10

not sure if we are making them kick poorly, or we have just been lucky.

Richmond could NOT miss against us. Three out of their four behinds were rushed. Goes to show how lucky we gotten against mid tier teams.

Is the biggest positive for our side out of the 10 games in QLD. We've learnt how to play in slippery conditions, in all of our the games in QLD this time around we were in every game. Tigers game we gave too many free kicks inside 50.
Add to the fact, we've been undermanned.

We play better at The Gabba. It's Metricon that concerns me since we've only won two games there but hopefully Shuey, Yeo and Redden back helps.

It's been a tough tropical tour and we scraped the barrel clean with stand-in soldiers.
They played their roles some better than others, but without them we wouldn't be where we are.
Thank the gods it's over and those tired beat up guys can get the rest they deserve back home with loved ones.
Regroup, reset, re-enter. Wait and watch how the other games unfold and how our injuries unfold over the next coupla weeks...
Feeling a bit flat, but remain optimistic!

We should be more optimistic if JK, Gov, Shuey, Yeo and Redden comeback. But we'll have to hold out for the first final to allow those guys to recover. Since probably JK, Gov and Yeo will most likely won't be ready for the first finals match.

Neither the dogs or saints have traveled to Perth this year . Bodes well

We match up well against them in Perth so we should win against them but hopefully it doesn't rain though. Collingwood don't match up well against us since we're their barriers so we should win against the Pies as long Barrass can stop Cox like he did in that qualifying final in 2018.

Where’s all the ainsworth baggers now ey #brownlowAinsworth

I was once of them when he looked totally lost and costs us some goals in his first few games but I have been praising him since the Bulldogs game. We need to hold out from saying "delist" to the likes of Brayshaw, Foley, Reid, XON and Edwards and allow them to perform for several games, if they're not up to it in those several games then we have the right to say "delist" to those guys.

Congrats on the win, your game plan was too good. Good luck in the finals.

Good luck on your rebuild next season, hopefully you guys rebuild and not trade away draft picks for another player. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown left though since you'll be needing those draft picks.

Ultimately we were 1-3 and have finished 12-5. Given the doom and gloom on here after the 1-3, rightfully so, the boys ticked damn near every box they could have to finish the season right in with a chance.

From here it's anyone's guess, as I expect these finals will be really weird after such a strange season. If you'd offered us 12-5 or a chance to play the season out completely when we were 1-3, I know what I'd have taken.

Bring it on.

We got this, hopefully JK, Gov, Shuey, Yeo and Redden are available by then. Being 12-5 after being 1-3 should boost the team morale.

Absolute trash and we all know it

If we dish this up against top sides then we can kiss our season goodbye. We only seem to show up for one quarter.

Looked a rolled ankle for mine. If two weeks isn't enough to get it right a jab is in order. Will play regardless.

Could be worst that JK could be out for the season but hopefully it's only a minor sprain at worst. Scans will confirm if it's only minor or a season ending.

I tried to tell y'all. All aboard the Ain Train! Next stop: The Finals

I've joined the Ain Train after the Bulldogs game.

Job done. Nothing more, nothing less.

At least we have ensured that Richmond and Geelong actually have to put some effort into their games.

Adelaide do match up well against the Tigers in Adelaide so we should have hope that they lose and we get top 4.

Good to see Ainsworth getting some positive attention in here. Some of the posts criticising him and the other kids are seriously over the top - these lads are getting games here and there, often being played well out of position and are trying to find their feet on the big stage and fit into a pretty tight, well drilled unit. Would be nice if the more critical posters would give them more than 1-2 games before basically declaring them to be "delist" worthy.

Completely agree.

I thought Ryan was excellent again and clean when it mattered.
Really impressed with Duggan basically playing the Redden/Yeo role for us tonight. Threw his body at everything.
Allen up forward was great in bursts and arguably the difference in the end.
Hurn was clean and really direct (which has not always been the case over the last 18 months).
Thought Naitanui gave Goldstein a bit of a ruck lesson, however, was let down by our mids (perhaps Sheed excluded) double touching and spilling the ball and so a number of superb HOs to advantage were squandered. There was also about 6 HOs that he won that were inexplicably attributed to Goldstein. Despite this he still beat Goldstein in total HOs (24 v 21), clearances (5 v 4), i50s (4 v 1), tackles (5 v 2), contested possessions (10 v 7), and disposals efficiency (84.6% v 66.7%). Still waiting to confirm the HOs to advantage but given that Goldstein is probably considered in the top 2 rucks this year Naitanui was virtually the only one with a meaningful opponent and he was more dynamic and important through-out the game.

Spot on. Nic Nat deserves AA for sure otherwise I will go insane.

Spot on. Nic Nat deserves AA for sure otherwise I will go insane.

There's another bloke that's had a fair year. He'll be stiff to get overlooked.

1600348907619.png

Maybe it's the year they'll pick 2 rucks?

Was that Ainsworths best game for the club? he's definitely at his best when he plays within his limitations and makes quick decisions with the ball

I'm not a believer in him as of yet, I still dont see what his one wood really is (what his talent/trait is that's elite which lets him contribute at AFL level). Because of his average kicking/athleticism I feel like it needs to be a quick brain and clean hands.

Kade Simpson didnt touch the ball in his first 3 games at AFL level so i guess Ainsworth at least has him covered in that regard.

Hopefully he adds some kilo's to his frame this off-season

View attachment 964100

Personally I thought Goldstein faded as the year has gone. Started like a house on fire but his influence has waned as the season went on.

Personally I thought Goldstein faded as the year has gone. Started like a house on fire but his influence has waned as the season went on.

I agree, he has tailed off, but still, what a year for a 32 year old bloke?

He's been heroic for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, he has tailed off, but still, what a year for a 32 year old bloke?

He's been heroic for us.

True

Naitanui and Goldstein have been the standout rucks this year. Gawn and Grundy haven't been as good as in previous years so it's a good time to poach that AA spot.

True

Naitanui and Goldstein have been the standout rucks this year. Gawn and Grundy haven't been as good as in previous years so it's a good time to poach that AA spot.

Steam comes out of my ears every time this blokes name gets mentioned in contention for a spot.

He's a glorified disposal scab.

Was that Ainsworths best game for the club? he's definitely at his best when he plays within his limitations and makes quick decisions with the ball

I'm not a believer in him as of yet, I still dont see what his one wood really is (what his talent/trait is that's elite which lets him contribute at AFL level). Because of his average kicking/athleticism I feel like it needs to be a quick brain and clean hands.

Kade Simpson didnt touch the ball in his first 3 games at AFL level so i guess Ainsworth at least has him covered in that regard.

Hopefully he adds some kilo's to his frame this off-season

Priddis 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 964100

Whether they select two rucks or not I'm not sure.
However on the base stats that are important for ruckmen I don't think you can mount an argument for Goldstein to be selected before Naitanui.
Here are their season averages.
Naitanui Goldstein
Hit Outs 29.4 v 27.9
HOs to Advantage 8.6 v 7.3
HOs win percentage 58.1% v 45.1%
Clearances 5.6 v 5.2
Goals 5 v 6
Contested Mark 0.4 v 0.6
Score Launches 2.9 v 2.4
Goal Assists 0.4 v 0.4
Contested Possessions 9.4 v 9.6
i50s 3.5 v 1.6
Tackles 2.3 v 2.1

Essential Goldstein shades him in contested marks (0.2 games) contested possessions (which is attributed to his contested mark difference) and 1 goal total.
They are equal in goal assists.
Every other meaningful statistic Naitanui wins, not by much granted, but that's reflective of Goldstein's outstanding year that he is clearly ahead of Gawn and Grundy.

Priddis 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So hes gonna be a brownlow medal winner, i'm sold

In all seriousness though, pridda showed us his one wood from day one (debut in 06 versus geelong in that comeback win from memory) was clearly an accumulator and good in the packs.

Sam Menegola was extremely vanilla when he was drafted by hawthorn and then at freo too. took him 4 or 5 years before he was finally able to put a season together in the WAFL then start contributing at Geelong. Hopefully Ainsworth is on a Similar trajectory to Menegola, who has a had a great year.

Essential Goldstein shades him in contested marks (0.2 games) contested possessions (which is attributed to his contested mark difference) and 1 goal total.
They are equal in goal assists.
Every other meaningful statistic Naitanui wins, not by much granted, but that's reflective of Goldstein's outstanding year that he is clearly ahead of Gawn and Grundy.

What I think it boils down to is...Naitanui has been a match winner. He’s had a major impact on a number of games and he makes his team seriously better when he’s out there.

Do North win less games without Goldstein?

They’ve won 1 out of their last 15 (against the Crows, at their lowest).

What I think it boils down to is...Naitanui has been a match winner. He’s had a major impact on a number of games and he makes his team seriously better when he’s out there.

Do North win less games without Goldstein?

They’ve won 1 out of their last 15 (against the Crows, at their lowest).
Unquestionably statistics only paint a small part of the picture. Without a doubt Naitanui's influence surpasses his already impressing statistical output.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hurn used to be unbreakable, but has let a few slip this year.

Shuey is really good at tackling players who are looking for a free kick, just knows how to bully them around.

Nobody (possibly in the league) can tackle like Yeo.

Outside of that it's not a good tackling team, although Schofield has shown good technique on the last line of defence.
Redden says hi

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back