Review Power v Blues - Bye Bye Sweet 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Formline has been trending down and this result wasnt surprising. Hope is that they are tapering off in preparation to build again for finals, peaking in form, fitness and injuries is the key to finals sucess.

I went over my notes and was going to put this in the game day analysis but it was a bit too much.

With the Blues at 12.8 which killed the game, for defensive mistakes resulting on lead ups or shots on goals, I've got:

Jonas down for 8 defensive errors​
Jones with 3​
Bergman with 2​
Duursma with 1​

All of Lachie Jones's errors are completely fixable.
Both of Bergman's are fixable.
The Duursma error seemed to be based on his body not quite match fit.

Maybe I was being a bit too harsh on Jonas. I could nudge it down to 7. Most of his errors were based on being too slow on the lead, not strong enough in the contest, etc. He did well spoiling as a 3rd up man though.

Next time we play Carlton, we will need to smash the contests for rushed behinds.

If you take Jonas out of the game and put McKenzie in, I think the game would have been much more in our favour.

Last edited:
So what's gonna happen is, port will lift their intensity after the carlton game, and they'll beat the pies. The week after, carlton will beat the pies, port will move to top of the ladder as a result.

Port will then repeat the streak, and end up winning the premiership.

Easy.
10/10, no notes

I went over my notes and was going to put this in the game day analysis but it was a bit too much.

With the Blues at 12.8 which killed the game, for defensive mistakes resulting on lead ups or shots on goals, I've got:

Jonas down for 8 defensive errors​
Jones with 3​
Bergman with 2​
Duursma with 1​

All of Lachie Jones's errors are completely fixable.
Both of Bergman's are fixable.
The Duursma error seemed to be based on his body not quite match fit.

Maybe I was being a bit too harsh on Jonas. I could nudge it down to 7. Most of his errors were based on being too slow on the lead, not strong enough in the contest, etc. He did well spoiling as a 3rd up man though.

Next time we play Carlton, we will need to smash the contests for rushed behinds.

If you take Jonas out of the game and put McKenzie in, I think the game would have been much more in our favour.
I don’t think so.

Our midfield was a non event

We under rated the opposition. Carlton had a soft draw over previous three weeks but they won those games by 9 goals plus which put them on a roll.
When Ken took over in 2013 he kept saying 'you get what you deserve' and I cannot help but think that we got what we deserved last Saturday. I guess we had to loose one sooner or later but we didn't have to make it easier for the opposition with some ridiculous team selections.

On top of that we now have some worrying signs. Several players have fallen off the pace in recent weeks but we also keep playing a couple of spuds. We even gave one such spud a two year contract!! Both Burton and Bergmann need to lift and even Zak Butters has fallen of his earlier pace.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think so.

Our midfield was a non event
In my review on this thread, I actually said that the midfield was one of the main issues we lost because we went from the elite of Rozee, Butters and the Hornet with Drew, Wines and Boak on the back of the rotation to Rozee, a groinless Butters and Wines, Drew and Boak playing minutes in there.

It didn't surprise me that we got blown out like we use to when we had a midfield of Boak, Rockliff, Wines and Ebert. Good players but not elite by foot and without a lot of impact. Add a hobbled Lycett and it was not the best.

But the defenders were also not good at all and needed to tighten up when the ball is coming down. Obviously Jonas had an extremely bad game and it didn't surprise me that the Carlton team tried to go through his man on most occasions.

Even though his output has faded as the year has gone on, the weekend really showed how important JHF is to the midfield. Even at 50%, he gets the attention of the opposition defensive mids, allowing the others more space to work.

We need him fit for finals.
When we have Rozee, Butters and the Hornet in there, they are so creative and impactful that opposition mids are really fearful of the damage they can do on the scoreboard in quick time.

Who is worried about Drew, Wines and Boak impacting a game. Sure, they can do it on occasion but the opposition is not staying awake at night because of it.

We need a couple more guys coming through.

So what's gonna happen is, port will lift their intensity after the carlton game, and they'll beat the pies. The week after, carlton will beat the pies, port will move to top of the ladder as a result.

Port will then repeat the streak, and end up winning the premiership.

Easy.
Have you met our coach?

"Not really that dangerous" say commentators, who then queried why DBJ came off with concussion.

Glad to see the umpire and MRP are on top of it.

Pinned his arms and slammed him into the turf. Straight to tribunal, enjoy your holiday grub.

McGovern's knees in the ribs in unrealistic marking contests should be closely monitored too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back