VFL Practice Game Friday 2:30 vs Box Hill @Olympic Park

Remove this Banner Ad

He certainly wasn't soft when he hit that collision where he did his shoulder. But yeah, I rate him -- just needs some continuity too. I remember watching him kick a goal last year against I think Richmond where he picked it up in one grab and snapped it from about 40 out. It was all class. But it was pretty much the only thing he did for about a half.

He needs to add 10kg to his frame for AFL level footy, gets away with it at VFL but not at AFL.

Its not like our line up is lacking in quality experienced AFL players, Faz, Wells, Mayne, Blair, Brown, Daicos, Seir have all tasted AFL level in some way or in some cases are very experienced and still best 22 AFL players.

Yeah, the overall quantum of AFL listed players on each team wouldn't be relevant.

Why has the Berg gone backwards?

Why are you pondering that he's gone backwards before our season has even started? A long way to go yet.

Yeah, the overall quantum of AFL listed players on each team wouldn't be relevant.

Was pleasing to see them rally to get the win after losing momentum through q2 /q3, and spot on both sides had pretty even numbers for AFL listed types i forgot to add Broomy Mihochek Appleby Lynch etc. so yes no relevance in this game.

Positive start to 2018 for VFL and hopefully tonight same for our AFL season.

Last edited:
Was pleasing to see them rally to get the win after losing momentum through q2 /q3, and spot on both sides had pretty even numbers for AFL listed types i forgot to add Broomy Mihochek Appleby Lynch etc.

Positive start to 2018 for VFL and hopefully tonight same for our AFL season.

and We Where Really Poor but glad the Switched it back on in Last to Kick Away

Well he’s gone from being in the best 22 in the second half of last year to all of sudden not even being in the best 25 in the space of a pre season.

Unfortunately the role he played in VFL he has Howe to compete with and then Langdon as the secondary who is probably favoured. I'd like to see them push him forward.

and We Where Really Poor but glad the Switched it back on in Last to Kick Away

How was the kicking skills dave ? much clean entries inside 50 and on goal?

Unfortunately the role he played in VFL he has Howe to compete with and then Langdon as the secondary who is probably favoured. I'd like to see them push him forward.

I've been reading that a bit, but I just can't see AFL forward attributes in Shaz. Doesn't have the pace or agility to get separation or apply defensive pressure. Hasn't shown much in a contest. Doesn't have the tank to burn his player off and find space through gut running.

I reckon the club has got it right with Shaz and their desire to turn him into a defender who can man talls. Don't want him on smalls, because once again he doesn't have the pace or agility. Don't want him loose man. Howe, Moore and Langdon offer so much more in the air if that's what we want from our loose man. If we're looking for drive from our loose man, Shaz doesn't offer run and carry, nor do his kicks open things up.

He's got really neat skills, he reads the play really well and has the smarts to know when to stick with his man and when to peel off. He seems to read the ball really well in the air. If he can compensate for a lack and strength through positioning and smarts and thus learn to defend KPPs, he'll be a great asset. If he can't learn this, I think he'll struggle to establish his career - at least with us.

I've been reading that a bit, but I just can't see AFL forward attributes in Shaz. Doesn't have the pace or agility to get separation or apply defensive pressure. Hasn't shown much in a contest. Doesn't have the tank to burn his player off and find space through gut running.

I reckon the club has got it right with Shaz and their desire to turn him into a defender who can man talls. Don't want him on smalls, because once again he doesn't have the pace or agility. Don't want him loose man. Howe, Moore and Langdon offer so much more in the air if that's what we want from our loose man. If we're looking for drive from our loose man, Shaz doesn't offer run and carry, nor do his kicks open things up.

He's got really neat skills, he reads the play really well and has the smarts to know when to stick with his man and when to peel off. He seems to read the ball really well in the air. If he can compensate for a lack and strength through positioning and smarts and thus learn to defend KPPs, he'll be a great asset. If he can't learn this, I think he'll struggle to establish his career - at least with us.

He has the smarts to make space as a forward he has done it in defence in his reading of play, he has enough nous to get time on leads and likely a good head in terms of blocking for other etc, don't expect a starring role but deffinitely a contributer there.

Good hands, good timing on his leads, smart head, reads the play beautifully, good kick and as a junior was successful in the role (which led to chocos comments on him @ 16) so not completely foreign to him.

He' quicker then Lance Whitnall who made a career of it as an overweight snail through footy smarts, skill and team work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he’s gone from being in the best 22 in the second half of last year to all of sudden not even being in the best 25 in the space of a pre season.

I think you're confusing "selection" with best 22 given the players we had injured late last year. He acquitted himself quite well when he got his chance but he'd hardly cemented a spot. One thing that seems evident is that he'll continue to work hard and do everything asked of him, will get his chance and I'm confident will again do well.

I think you're confusing "selection" with best 22 given the players we had injured late last year. He acquitted himself quite well when he got his chance but he'd hardly cemented a spot. One thing that seems evident is that he'll continue to work hard and do everything asked of him, will get his chance and I'm confident will again do well.

Really his VFL form dictated he get a run long before he did the problem is at AFL he doesn't get the same role and plays on odd small quicks or genuine 197cm+ kpp types that dont suit him.
Howe/Langdon basically have the licence in the AFL to do the role that makes shaz shine, he has to find a new role and a 192cm KPD is not what I would think to default too.

If anything a defender needs to be even quicker then a fwd because fwds dictate, the defender has to make up for reaction time and pace.

He has the smarts to make space as a forward he has done it in defence in his reading of play, he has enough nous to get time on leads and likely a good head in terms of blocking for other etc, don't expect a starring role but deffinitely a contributer there.

Good hands, good timing on his leads, smart head, reads the play beautifully, good kick and as a junior was successful in the role (which led to chocos comments on him @ 16) so not completely foreign to him.

He' quicker then Lance Whitnall who made a career of it as an overweight snail through footy smarts, skill and team work.

Fair call. He's probably smart enough to become a contributing forward. But I reckon a contributor is his absolute ceiling in that role. As a KPD, I personally think that he could develop the ability to nullify a tall forward and then become a genuine asset with his other attributes. For either role though, we're looking at a fair bit of VFL time to test and teach him. With the KPD, it'll probably also take a year or two of focussing on weight gain.

Bucks just mentioned Fasolo, Mayne, Blair and Broomhead as potential promotions based on the VFL hit out.
Thoughts?

Fas can return. Broomhead maybe, just as a sort of last-chance saloon type thing.

The others? Lord, please just take me now...

Bucks just mentioned Fasolo, Mayne, Blair and Broomhead as potential promotions based on the VFL hit out.
Thoughts?
OMG, besides Fasolo, I hope the other 3 never play again, goes to show how bad our list is

Thoughts?

Like Fas and Broomhead to come back.

Mayne and Blair comeback and we be even Worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back