Training Pre-season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS GIANTS ‏@GWSGIANTS 2m2 minutes ago
.@Len_hayes talks about his new coaching role and the 3 GIANTS who have stood out so far this pre-season.
1f4fa.png
>> http://bit.ly/2jlaQ4A

C264JCvUUAEV0hD.jpg

Doesn't strike me as a likely fishing type. Was it an Indigenous Aussie rules thing?
The Tiwi Islands "Island of Origin" game is on later today so I suspect he was here for that. Was just lounging about in the wave pool when I had a chat with him.

He said Lids is looking good and that he was heading back to GWS next week and then Essendon the week after.

He was wearing his GWS hat, told him that I usually wear mine when out and about and he had a go at me and said 'never take it off'!!

Last edited:
The Tiwi Islands "Island of Origin" game is on later today so I suspect he was here for that. Was just lounging about in the wave pool when I had a chat with him.

He said Lids is looking good and that he was heading back to GWS next week and then Essendon the week after.

He was wearing his GWS hat, told him that I usually wear mine when out and about and he had a go at me and said 'never take it off'!!
Bombers fanatics have told me the same thing about him wearing our hat all the time.I'm not much into tje celebrity thing but he's one guy I think it would be interesting to talk to, I envy you.

Bombers fanatics have told me the same thing about him wearing our hat all the time.I'm not much into tje celebrity thing but he's one guy I think it would be interesting to talk to, I envy you.
I've met him a couple of times, he used to come up here for the NTFL GF, especially when the great Merve Neagle was coaching St Marys rest his soul. He's always open for a chat and a good character of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, Mummy is always managed through the pre-season in various aspects. So, the elbow surgery presumably shouldn't affect his ability to do fitness work, mainly the contact work - but that's what has often been managed - so perhaps relatively small impact to Mummy's normal pre-season progress. If the stated timeframe proves accurate, Mummy will definitely miss the first pre-season game, could be back for the second (vs Sydney) but could be a bit light on for contact work so I'd think he's more likely to miss, but should be back for the last game on 10 March (even if only playing a partial game) in Canberra.

uth Warrnambool coach Mat Buck and assistant Josh Saunders learn from the AFL's best at Greater Western Sydney Giants
twitter.svg
@NickAnsell
30 Jan 2017, 11:51 a.m.

Links with Greater Western Sydney Giants have gifted two South Warrnambool coaches the chance to hone their skills in an elite environment.

r0_415_5184_3341_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

GOOD EXPERIENCE: South Warrnambool coach Mat Buck has returned from a three-day stint with AFL powerhouse Greater Western Sydney Giants. Picture: Rob Gunstone

EMERGING links with AFL powerhouse Greater Western Sydney have gifted two South Warrnambool coaches the chance to hone their skills in football’s most elite environment.

Roosters’ coach Mat Buck and assistant Josh Saunders last week jetted off to Sydney Olympic Park to shadow current Giants mentor and South Warrnambool export Leon Cameron.

r215_0_3212_4805_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

TOP NOTCH: New South Warrnambool assistant coach Josh Saunders in his time at St Kilda. Picture: Getty Images

Buck said the pair were allowed to sit in on team meetings, participate in training and analysis and had developed new ways of delivering information to their Hampden league side.

“We’re really fortunate at South Warrnambool to have such amazing past players. Leon Cameron was more than happy to have us up there because he still has South in his heart,” Buck said.

“There are things we can bring back to hopefully make us more professional and up to date with how footy is evolving. It’s a bit surreal being in a room with Lenny Hayes (GWS assistant coach) talking to you about football.

“The way defence is moving is to have aggressive positioning. We also looked at forward line set-ups, the work they’re doing at stoppages, and the way they look at and analyse the game as a whole.”

Buck said Saunders, the Roosters’ 22-year-old assistant coach fresh out of the AFL system with St Kilda, was developing into a first-rate coach. “It was great to speak to him about the differences he notices in the approach from country football clubs and those at the top level. He’ll be a terrific mentor for us,” he said.

uth Warrnambool coach Mat Buck and assistant Josh Saunders learn from the AFL's best at Greater Western Sydney Giants
twitter.svg
@NickAnsell

Links with Greater Western Sydney Giants have gifted two South Warrnambool coaches the chance to hone their skills in an elite environment.

GOOD EXPERIENCE: South Warrnambool coach Mat Buck has returned from a three-day stint with AFL powerhouse Greater Western Sydney Giants. Picture: Rob Gunstone

EMERGING links with AFL powerhouse Greater Western Sydney have gifted two South Warrnambool coaches the chance to hone their skills in football’s most elite environment.

Roosters’ coach Mat Buck and assistant Josh Saunders last week jetted off to Sydney Olympic Park to shadow current Giants mentor and South Warrnambool export Leon Cameron.

TOP NOTCH: New South Warrnambool assistant coach Josh Saunders in his time at St Kilda. Picture: Getty Images

Buck said the pair were allowed to sit in on team meetings, participate in training and analysis and had developed new ways of delivering information to their Hampden league side.

“We’re really fortunate at South Warrnambool to have such amazing past players. Leon Cameron was more than happy to have us up there because he still has South in his heart,” Buck said.

“There are things we can bring back to hopefully make us more professional and up to date with how footy is evolving. It’s a bit surreal being in a room with Lenny Hayes (GWS assistant coach) talking to you about football.

“The way defence is moving is to have aggressive positioning. We also looked at forward line set-ups, the work they’re doing at stoppages, and the way they look at and analyse the game as a whole.”

Buck said Saunders, the Roosters’ 22-year-old assistant coach fresh out of the AFL system with St Kilda, was developing into a first-rate coach. “It was great to speak to him about the differences he notices in the approach from country football clubs and those at the top level. He’ll be a terrific mentor for us,” he said.
Tks. I dont do twitter and would never have found it. Good read

twitter.svg
@NickAnsell

Awesome, I had no idea Leon was from Warrnambool, that's where my family is from :)

Lobb talking up Taranto just as Davis did on sen the other week
RORY Lobb believes Tim Taranto is ready to catapult himself into the Giants’ best 22. And that’s no small feat, given the No. 2 draft pick must crack into one of the most talented midfields in the competition to get a start. Taranto, 19, faces some stiff competition to feature in GWS’ senior side, with Dylan Shiel, Jacob Hopper, Callan Ward, Lachie Whitfield and Tom Scully among others already settled in the Giants’ engine room. But as a big-bodied midfielder who already tips the scales at 83kg, Taranto has the frame to match it with his more seasoned counterparts. “Timmy Taranto has been outstanding this pre-season,” Lobb told foxfooty.com.au. “What he can do around stoppages, he’s a ready made AFL player. I’m excited to see what he can do and how he goes this year.”
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ror...r/news-story/5ea6275c78c4579d01cb5156fc363534

Remove this Banner Ad

Back