Training Pre-season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty so ive watched both parts of the Intra Club. Heres some things from off the top of my head

- Both sides wanted to move the ball on as quick as possible, sometimes too quick
- Vlastuin,Cotchin,Martin,Caddy had stints in the midfield and up forward. Vlas looks like hes in for a really good year
- Chol, Bolton and stengle were impressive up front
- Ivan Soldo was super impressive around the ground
- Jack tore his opponent to shreds
- Richo has a Mcavaney for Rioli

Edit: Now theres a third part of the intra club :(

Last edited:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dio...d/news-story/0cae2e9fe96124752f4e524eb1050167

"JACK was chained to the goalsquare, Dusty had his own footy and the backwards chip kick of previous seasons were nowhere to be seen.

Talented forward Ben Lennon kicked four standout goals and Daniel Rioli exhibited some serious moves to go with his shock of long black hair.

No one is getting too carried away with Richmond’s pre-season form on Thursday but at least at Punt Rd the negative vibes of 2016 had been wiped away."

WHcBCw9.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Townsend was certainly good, I wouldn't say BOG - but prominent.

Soldo was extremely promising around the ground.

Jack & Ben look like the forwards round 1.

Griff & Elton are hacks.

Corey classy, didn't touch it enough.

Butler looks likely. Smoky round 1.

Stengel will play AFL this year, smart footballer.

Bolton did some electric things, he can make Rioli look vanilla.

Everyone else did about what you would expect for better or worse.

So I watched the entirety of the intra club and a few things stood out for me.

Enjoyed having Balme in the second period join in on the commentary. Seems rather confident Martin won't be going anywhere. He did say we needed to stretch and raise our offer which we will do and that should be enough.
Also discussed how the selection of the leadership group will differ to how it has been done previously.
Martin looked a class above. He had a few miss-kicks but he is just like a Lamborghini. Effortless performance.
Corey Ellis - Did a few nice things, namely in the first period (23.53 minute mark of the video) where he gathered a loose ball cleanly, rode a bump and then hand balled off to a team mate. Also in the final period where he was on the end of a Lennon handball inside 50 and laced one out to Stengle. Commentary team jizzed themselves (7.40-50 minute mark of final period). Balme also had a high opinion of Corey. Tipping him to have a solid season.
Callum Moore - bit of a mixture from him today, showed some fast hands in the first period which opened up the play (27.33 minute mark - first period) but then in the second needed to give hands to Markov on the burst but opted to kick and switch the play to a contested situation, team mate lost and it went down the other end. (20.30 minute mark - second period)
Rioli - was everywhere, he is an awkward SuperCoach price but he might go big this season. Just so lively and just like his cousin, you can't cruise along if he is around because he will chase you down. Dusty found out the hard way. Best on ground.
Caddy - was solid, made a couple of errors. Dropped an absolute sitter I think it was early in the third period? Didn't take note of the time. Also handballed it to an opposition player after winning it out in the middle, but that could have been as a result of being tackled.
Did some nice things as well, intercepted a handball in the second and burst away. Should have really had a shot for goal but opted to give hands to Chol. (3.14 mark - second period)
Soldo - was excellent, really strong around the ground, awkward kicking style but it's effective. Will be a great VFL ruckman and pretty solid ruck depth in my opinion if he continues playing as he did today.
Stengle and Bolton - the former performing the better of the two but Bolton had some really nice moments. Not sure if either are ready for AFL level yet, but not far away. Will form a pretty handy mosquito fleet with Rioli as well.
Vlastuin - was good and bad. Will be better for the run. Kicking was off today but will be important for us this season. Mainly rotated between mid/fwd. Don't see him playing much in the defence this season.
Markov - was quiet but just looks to be primed. Appears confident in himself and has pace to burn. RFC_Official chose him as his yellow and black book special. For those that don't watch the TT podcast, it's someone who they think will have a great season.
Elton - Kicked a goal, took a nice mark. However he isn't involved enough. This will be his last year.
Prestia - Classy and confident. Not much more to say really. Keep him fit and we become that much more dangerous.
Townsend - Dominated. Played really well. Although I don't see him forcing his way into the best 22 he is definitely having a dip. Good on him.

The last player I'd like to mention is Lennon.
Could have had 5 today. Hit the post in one effort. Also set up like 2/3 others. When this kid applies himself and is on, he oozes class and x-factor. Keep it up Benny. Second best on ground.

Honourable mentions;
Jack was lively and solid throughout.
Grigg showed Grigg-esque consistency.
Conca was taking kick outs... Went alright.
Grimes and Astbury solid as a rock in defence.
Edwards - Solid without being outstanding.

Brandon Ellis, Nankervis, Hampson, Graham, Morris, Rance all didn't play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall not a bad little match, but... four concerns I took out of it which kind of fractured some of the optimism I had been feeling, and trust me I am normally very positive:

1) Ball movement: Yes it's quicker and thank god for that. But... we went down the wings/boundary way too much and you could see them looking there a lot, which tells me that's the gameplan. Not enough use of the corridor which is something I thought we would be implementing, and still too much kicking back for the switch.
In 2016 we got caught out a lot doing the kick backwards to then switch across the ground, because often, after the switch, the next target or the one after wouldn't make it across to where they needed to be, so towards our half forward line there would be no one there to kick to and it would break down.
I'm hoping I'm wrong on all this, but it has Dimma written all over it.

2) Forward Entries: Still a lot of wayward, thoughtless bombs into the 50.

3) Conca as a backman: Didn't play a single minute in the midfield. How many bloody Taylor Hunt style players do we need?! Conca is a midfielder or nothing, I've said this a million times. I was really looking forward to a well-stocked midfield and the focus being on that. This is also typical Dimma.

4) Cotchin: Did absolutely nothing.

I still think our best 22 will be very good, but use the damn corridor and stock the best midfielders we have.

Overall not a bad little match, but... four concerns I took out of it which kind of fractured some of the optimism I had been feeling, and trust me I am normally very positive:

1) Ball movement: Yes it's quicker and thank god for that. But... we went down the wings/boundary way too much and you could see them looking there a lot, which tells me that's the gameplan. Not enough use of the corridor which is something I thought we would be implementing, and still too much kicking back for the switch.
In 2016 we got caught out a lot doing the kick backwards to then switch across the ground, because often, after the switch, the next target or the one after wouldn't make it across to where they needed to be, so towards our half forward line there would be no one there to kick to and it would break down.
I'm hoping I'm wrong on all this, but it has Dimma written all over it.

2) Forward Entries: Still a lot of wayward, thoughtless bombs into the 50.

3) Conca as a backman: Didn't play a single minute in the midfield. How many bloody Taylor Hunt style players do we need?! Conca is a midfielder or nothing, I've said this a million times. I was really looking forward to a well-stocked midfield and the focus being on that. This is also typical Dimma.

4) Cotchin: Did absolutely nothing.

I still think our best 22 will be very good, but use the damn corridor and stock the best midfielders we have.

???

Conca hasn't earned the right to be a mid. We can't fit him in at the moment. Adding flexibility is a good idea / only way he gets game time.

Cotchin was a class above, barely tried & every touch was penetrating.

As for movement, we went down the guts a lot, and played on a lot, sometimes you just can't go through the corridor.

So I watched the entirety of the intra club and a few things stood out for me.

Enjoyed having Balme in the second period join in on the commentary. Seems rather confident Martin won't be going anywhere. He did say we needed to stretch and raise our offer which we will do and that should be enough.
Also discussed how the selection of the leadership group will differ to how it has been done previously.
Martin looked a class above. He had a few miss-kicks but he is just like a Lamborghini. Effortless performance.
Corey Ellis - Did a few nice things, namely in the first period (23.53 minute mark of the video) where he gathered a loose ball cleanly, rode a bump and then hand balled off to a team mate. Also in the final period where he was on the end of a Lennon handball inside 50 and laced one out to Stengle. Commentary team jizzed themselves (7.40-50 minute mark of final period). Balme also had a high opinion of Corey. Tipping him to have a solid season.
Callum Moore - bit of a mixture from him today, showed some fast hands in the first period which opened up the play (27.33 minute mark - first period) but then in the second needed to give hands to Markov on the burst but opted to kick and switch the play to a contested situation, team mate lost and it went down the other end. (20.30 minute mark - second period)
Rioli - was everywhere, he is an awkward SuperCoach price but he might go big this season. Just so lively and just like his cousin, you can't cruise along if he is around because he will chase you down. Dusty found out the hard way. Best on ground.
Caddy - was solid, made a couple of errors. Dropped an absolute sitter I think it was early in the third period? Didn't take note of the time. Also handballed it to an opposition player after winning it out in the middle, but that could have been as a result of being tackled.
Did some nice things as well, intercepted a handball in the second and burst away. Should have really had a shot for goal but opted to give hands to Chol. (3.14 mark - second period)
Soldo - was excellent, really strong around the ground, awkward kicking style but it's effective. Will be a great VFL ruckman and pretty solid ruck depth in my opinion if he continues playing as he did today.
Stengle and Bolton - the former performing the better of the two but Bolton had some really nice moments. Not sure if either are ready for AFL level yet, but not far away. Will form a pretty handy mosquito fleet with Rioli as well.
Vlastuin - was good and bad. Will be better for the run. Kicking was off today but will be important for us this season. Mainly rotated between mid/fwd. Don't see him playing much in the defence this season.
Markov - was quiet but just looks to be primed. Appears confident in himself and has pace to burn. RFC_Official chose him as his yellow and black book special. For those that don't watch the TT podcast, it's someone who they think will have a great season.
Elton - Kicked a goal, took a nice mark. However he isn't involved enough. This will be his last year.
Prestia - Classy and confident. Not much more to say really. Keep him fit and we become that much more dangerous.
Townsend - Dominated. Played really well. Although I don't see him forcing his way into the best 22 he is definitely having a dip. Good on him.

The last player I'd like to mention is Lennon.
Could have had 5 today. Hit the post in one effort. Also set up like 2/3 others. When this kid applies himself and is on, he oozes class and x-factor. Keep it up Benny. Second best on ground.

Honourable mentions;
Jack was lively and solid throughout.
Grigg showed Grigg-esque consistency.
Conca was taking kick outs... Went alright.
Grimes and Astbury solid as a rock in defence.
Edwards - Solid without being outstanding.

Brandon Ellis, Nankervis, Hampson, Graham, Morris, Rance all didn't play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice write up!

Do you know who played on Lennon?

RICHMOND has used its intraclub match on Thursday to trial a smaller forward line, with Ben Lennon kicking four goals as he pushes his case for senior selection in 2017.

The Tigers haven't settled on their best forward mix yet as they prepare for life without Ty Vickery and look beyond the three-pronged tall set-up they have used in recent seasons.

The answer may be a smaller line-up, with the club encouraged by its growing group of small forwards and midfielders who can rotate in attack effectively.

Lennon, who played three games last season, was a standout in Thursday's trial game alongside small forward Daniel Rioli, who booted two goals and set up a number of others.

Rioli was particularly clean with his hands and was able to push onto the wing regularly after a faultless pre-season that has seen him add strength and endurance.

Others to impress were third-year forward Dan Butler (three goals) and draftees Shai Bolton and Tyson Stengle, who were dangerous around the ball.

Star onballer Dustin Martin was in top form in the midfield and pushed forward to kick three goals, while recruit Dion Prestia made good decisions and stood out.

The coaches also started captain Trent Cotchin deep in attack for periods as part of the smaller line-up before rotating the Brownlow medallist through the midfield.

Lennon shapes as an ace in the Tigers' hand this season after just 19 games in three years, with his career yet to take off because of injury issues and poor form.

The No.12 pick in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, he has also been moved through a number of positions, but appears to now be settled in attack where he has enjoyed a full pre-season.

Tall forwards Jack Riewoldt and Ben Griffiths both played on Thursday morning, but ruckmen Shaun Hampson and Toby Nankervis were rested.

Star defender Alex Rance was also rested but donned an orange vest and took part as a boundary umpire as the club keeps a close eye on his workload.

Richmond opens its JLT Community Series against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium on February 24, before a trip to Mount Gambier to play Port Adelaide and then to Moe to play Collingwood.

The traditional season-opener against Carlton is at the MCG on March 23.
Geez the media are infatuated with Ty. It's not like we have lost a great forward ruck and it as our option not to match the Hawks offer. I reckon it will be a bonus for us with him not being there competing for forward space as he couldn't play anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back