Training Pre Season '23

Remove this Banner Ad

I see him more as a utility. a hybrid that can go mid, wing and other roles and he would have to develop skills and capability beyond getting the ball from the ruck.

In the reserves he played mainly in the guts. I think he should have been moved around a bit. Wing, half back etc..

He is a little like Ralphsmith but Ralphsmith is a better shot for goal on the mark but Ralphsmith might be a little more outside.
Rubbish they are nothing alike

Hugo is an endurance beast that has a great running leap and is a goal kicking wingman and is a beautiful mark
RCD is a inside mid with speed but no endurance or outside game

Chalk and cheese

If Hopper and Taranto come the people at biggest risk to me are those questionable in the backline.

The backline will not be able to use the midfield as an excuse so if scores against do not drop some will be in trouble.

The other thing looking at the highlights Hopper needs to slim down to 2019, 2021 and 2022 body shape because he was too jacked for my liking in 2022.

Then players that are more inside are at greater risk like Ross possibly Graham etc..
Which one of Balta, Gibcus, Broad, Grimes, Vlastuin, Riloi, and Baker is questionable? And which one of those might make way for RCD to have a trial back?

Which one of Balta, Gibcus, Broad, Grimes, Vlastuin, Riloi, and Baker is questionable? And which one of those might make way for RCD to have a trial back?

Well I am going to be brutally honest.

We are here to win premierships.

Our last premiership was nearly three years ago.

So in terms of windows and factoring synergy as well as development the least questionable is Balta and Gibcus. Mind you Gibcus could get a run up forward at times as a swingman and to freshen up the mix and opportunity

The more questionable is Broad, Grimes and Vlastuin because they are closer to father time but they are not playing consistent bad footy. Still if we need to get better changes might have to be made.

Don't put words in my mouth either, I did not write RCD replaces these player(s) position by position, it depends on how our defence develops.

Baker is the most questionable as a back because he is not a back. I prefer Baker as a transition mid/forward. I have wrote before I do not buy the Caleb Daniel role

Rioli needs to be better used by Dimma in terms of matchups. For example I thought he was handy on Cameron this year when there. Not enough emphasis has been on defensive matchups for my liking meaning we give up far to high scores.

I am also talking about Brawn and Banks and others eventually getting a go. I am talking about better matchups against opposition and better movement out of defence. Collingwood was better than us htis year in my opinion and it was not just about Darcy Moore at times. I am talking about actually horses for courses defences so we really go to school shutting down opposition forward thrusts and opportunities

Gibcus can get better and Balta and get better in combination with Gibcus when they play more together and we figure out how best to use them.

I am talking about opposition scoring drying up to below 80 points if not lower. I am talking about a better approach meaning a different mix, but not throwing out the baby with the bath water. So does Grimes go? Probably not etc..

Last edited:
Well I am going to be brutally honest.

We are here to win premierships.

Our last premiership was nearly three years ago.

So in terms of windows and factoring synergy as well as development the least questionable is Balta and Gibcus. Mind you Gibcus could get a run up forward at times as a swingman and to freshen up the mix and opportunity

The more questionable is Broad, Grimes and Vlastuin because they are closer to father time but they are not playing consistent bad footy. Still if we need to get better changes might have to be made.

Don't put words in my mouth either, I did not write RCD replaces these player(s) position by position, it depends on how our defence develops.

Baker is the most questionable as a back because he is not a back. I prefer Baker as a transition mid/forward. I have wrote before I do not buy the Caleb Daniel role

Rioli needs to be better used by Dimma in terms of matchups. For example I thought he was handy on Cameron this year when there. Not enough emphasis has been on defensive matchups for my liking meaning we give up far to high scores.

I am also talking about Brawn and Banks and others eventually getting a go. I am talking about better matchups against opposition and better movement out of defence. Collingwood was better than us htis year in my opinion and it was not just about Darcy Moore at times. I am talking about actually horses for courses defences so we really go to school shutting down opposition forward thrusts and opportunities

Gibcus can get better and Balta and get better in combination with Gibcus when they play more together and we figure out how best to use them.

I am talking about opposition scoring drying up to below 80 points if not lower. I am talking about a better approach meaning a different mix, but not throwing out the baby with the bath water. So does Grimes go? Probably not etc..
The backline is the least of our worries. Broad is the most under-rated back in the comp, he had better stats pretty much across the board than AA Maynard this year, disposals, marks, rebound 50, but never gets talked up. Would think very close to top 5 in the B&F. Broad had a better rebound 50 average than Rioli.

Vlastuin and Grimes are guns, not sure I have seen a better all round backs at Richmond other than Rance and Sir Francis. Rioli was close to AA.

As you say, Gibcus and Balta are the future, although not there yet but they are going to be for a long time.

Agree Baker (not including Gibcus) is the weakest link, but that is saying something about the strength of our backline. Our backline was not perfect mainly because of developing talent in Gibcus and Balta and that the we had a lot more inside defensive 50 than usual, due mainly some shocking quarters where we let sides swarm.

So replacing them with others is not going to happen unless it is through injury. The only one who I can see squeezing in there is Stack on talent, but he won't be there unless he comes back cherry ripe and is played back there, if he is there at all.

I mentioned RCD, because you have mentioned it plenty of times all year.

The backline is the least of our worries. Broad is the most under-rated back in the comp, he had better stats pretty much across the board than AA Maynard this year, disposals, marks, rebound 50, but never gets talked up. Would think very close to top 5 in the B&F. Broad had a better rebound 50 average than Rioli.

Vlastuin and Grimes are guns, not sure I have seen a better all round backs at Richmond other than Rance and Sir Francis. Rioli was close to AA.

As you say, Gibcus and Balta are the future, although not there yet but they are going to be for a long time.

Agree Baker (not including Gibcus) is the weakest link, but that is saying something about the strength of our backline. Our backline was not perfect mainly because of developing talent in Gibcus and Balta and that the we had a lot more inside defensive 50 than usual, due mainly some shocking quarters where we let sides swarm.

So replacing them with others is not going to happen unless it is through injury. The only one who I can see squeezing in there is Stack on talent, but he won't be there unless he comes back cherry ripe and is played back there, if he is there at all.

I mentioned RCD, because you have mentioned it plenty of times all year.

The relevant stat is goal score kicked against us.

Its like Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett put in the middle, year great combination, not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TRAINEN DA HOWSE DOWWN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back