Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Cox is a pretty good tap ruckman. I wonder what Rougheads hit out stats were like in his time in the role at the Dogs?

Hard to gauge given he often shared the role with others like Minson but in 2017 he often had 20+ (av 18.9).

For mine, it's more about maintaining a forward structure that worked so well in 2018, and that has Cox playing KPF/2nd ruck. If Cox takes the 1st ruck role then who takes the KPF/2nd ruck role and how does that impact that forward dynamic?

Feb 8, 2007
Point Cook
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Spurs
Pretty impressive for someone of Lynch's size to finish top 3 in the time trial and it seemingly gives him one identifiable strength at least that can be built upon.

I remember when Dawes was finishing top 5 or so in the time trials prior to 2010 and while his career petered out after 2011 having above average stamina for a man with his frame helped propel him to a level above his skill set for a period of time and got him a premiership medallion.

Lynch's progress has been steady, but l thought his progress last season is encouraging. I really think he will play some senior footy this year, so lm hoping to see him get a good run at it in the JLT series.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynch's progress has been steady, but l thought his progress last season is encouraging. I really think he will play some senior footy this year, so lm hoping to see him get a good run at it in the JLT series.

Actually started to look like a footballer in 2018 which was a massive improvement on the tangled confusion of arms and legs that threw itself at the footy in 2017.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
It will be a nice "bonus" for us if he can turn into an AFL quality player. He only turned 20 in September, so if he continues to show improvement I'd expect the club would be prepared to be patient with him.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It will be a nice "bonus" for us if he can turn into an AFL quality player. He only turned 20 in September, so if he continues to show improvement I'd expect the club would be prepared to be patient with him.

Only issue with Lynch is that he's out of contract this year and will mark three years straight as a Cat A rookie. Based on the rookie rules he will either need to be promoted to the senior list or delisted and re-rookied (risking another club picking him up) if we want to keep him.

I could see us promoting him (and giving some undeserving players in Wills and Crocker another extension) if we have a huge exodus of senior players who are OOC. Currently, Wells/Goldsack/Dunn/Varcoe/Greenwood/Reid could all feasibly retire at the end of this year and we don't really have the draft currency to fill all those spots with decent young kids.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Hard to gauge given he often shared the role with others like Minson but in 2017 he often had 20+ (av 18.9).

For mine, it's more about maintaining a forward structure that worked so well in 2018, and that has Cox playing KPF/2nd ruck. If Cox takes the 1st ruck role then who takes the KPF/2nd ruck role and how does that impact that forward dynamic?

Those hitout stats give me some hope for Roughead if called on in that role. Regarding the restructuring of the forward line for me you just bring in Reid. You don't lose anything up front then but maintain some quality delivery for the midfield with Cox in the ruck. But it does pose the question who relieves Cox? Your way is more hassle free.

Too true TD but not this season thankfully,most positive I have felt for a number of seasons.

It is great to finally get excited about a Season 1st time for quite a few years before it even started

Only issue with Lynch is that he's out of contract this year and will mark three years straight as a Cat A rookie. Based on the rookie rules he will either need to be promoted to the senior list or delisted and re-rookied (risking another club picking him up) if we want to keep him.

I could see us promoting him (and giving some undeserving players in Wills and Crocker another extension) if we have a huge exodus of senior players who are OOC. Currently, Wells/Goldsack/Dunn/Varcoe/Greenwood/Reid could all feasibly retire at the end of this year and we don't really have the draft currency to fill all those spots with decent young kids.
I 100% had forgotten Wills existed.

Has he been training?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has. Apparently one of the hardest workers but was never really expected to be more than a VFL player.
Good type to have in support of a premiership push. Break in emergency glass kind of player but with Sier’s emergence is now 1 or 2 further back in the pecking order than where he sat last year.

Just find him so inconspicuous that I forget he exists :p

Seriously? 11 tackles on debut. The kid was primed for our midfield until Sier became a star.

Need to do more then Just Tackle.

He is good depth but I am not 100% Sold he is a Certain Best 22

He also played five of his six games back in 2016 and one in 2017. It's not like he was "primed" to be in our midfield, others overtook him.

At the end of 2016, he did appear to be a very good chance to cement himself in the 22, but after missing most of 2017 with injuries and the rise of Sier and significant improvement from Adams, he now appears a fair way back in the queue.

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Wills is an absolute ball magnet in the guts and at clearances, has an almost uncanny ability to get first hands on the pill. Injuries have badly cruelled his chances and competition for spots is very, very tight but, if he can get himself right anything is possible.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wills is an absolute ball magnet in the guts and at clearances, has an almost uncanny ability to get first hands on the pill. Injuries have badly cruelled his chances and competition for spots is very, very tight but, if he can get himself right anything is possible.
And that’s exactly what we want to see.

High level competition for spots. Let the best 22 prevail.

Wills can earn it, pity his injuries have cruelled him.

And that’s exactly what we want to see.

High level competition for spots. Let the best 22 prevail.

Wills can earn it, pity his injuries have cruelled him.

Or have a Good Value in a Trade involving Wills

Remove this Banner Ad

Back