Preview Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Fri 16 Sept, 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the ball bounces like it’s meant to we will be halfway there. Hopefully umps bounce it straight too.

Yes, and if the umps call it as they see it- I don't know where pies supporters get their umpiring angst from, that last 10 minutes was a free for all. Just ridiculous how many frees to us were ignored, pies realised and went the dirty holds etc.

My only moment of real pleasure against the umps was Blics smarts to enclose the ball and take the tackle like a pro in the last ten seconds, knowing a ball up was game over.
Hopefully a fairer game tomoz.

Would have really liked to see Parfitt in the side, esp because he missed last years PF with injury. But I think if you went back over our finals from the last few years you wouldn't find a player who averages more tackles than Parfitt, we could really use that on the G against a fast moving side.

I do expect us to pull a late change though so we'll see what happens.

Going to be very frustrated if Selwood and Danger start on the bench again, that was a failed experiment in the QF for sure.

Fair enough. For myself, I'm not interested in 'Livin' On A Prayer'.

Just get it done, Cats...

music video 80s GIF

I would be surprised if Kolo gets up - so I think your Melt will melt…and parf will at least be sub if not straight in (with MOC staying sub). As you say the next week gets interesting as match up would suggest an extra mid rather than KPD…

Yep agree 100 %.

Same melts as last game: we just dont take the stoppage/contest/clearance game seriously enough under Chris Scott.

If Brisbane turn up and do nothing but bomb it inside 50 like they did against Melbourne in the first half then our defence will feast and we will be unstoppable. But if they turn up and do a good enough impression of a well coached team then, like our last game, we will struggle. Selwood, Dangerfield and Atkins represented the bulk of our contested ball and clearances against Collingwood, that is simply not enough manpower in the engine room against the teams that remain.

And now if we do win, we face the prospect of playing Sydney or Collingwood and needing to bring in Parfitt and/or Menegola, neither of whom have played for over a month. Or we wont bring either of them in, and we will get a lesson in stoppage work from the likes of Mills, Warner, Parker, Gulden, Stephens et al (or the Collingwood equivalant, who nearly taught us a lesson two weeks ago).

Think about how many times during the game against Collingwood that you thought: We really look outnumbered around stoppages. That's how we lose big games, it has been for the last 5 years. We get outnumbered at the stoppages and then when we lose control of the ball it is too easy to spread our defensive structure out, especially at the MCG, to find holes inside 50. We just dont select enough players who can get up and go again and again into each stoppage, and then have the class or composure to use the ball well once we transition out of the contest.

MOC is a noose waiting to snap our neck in a big game, he is useless at the best of times but as the sub reaches new depths of irrelevance as he lacks any ability to find the ball easily after coming on. If he has to replace a midfielder it's probably game over. Miers fits into the same category. The fact that both remain in is a testament to nothing but Chris Scotts ego getting the better of him. Instead of admitting that these guys are useless he will persist and then when they s**t the bed will say "well at least we lost our way". Omitting both would do nothing to harm our structure either behind or infront of the ball.

Parfitt remaining out is inexcusable, and if the result doesnt go our way i hope Scott is destroyed for doing it, but he wont be.
I worry about Kolo the way you worry about MOC and I and the former has a track record for losing it under pressure. I can think of only a few occasions where MOC has cost us goals through turnovers. However Kolo does it on a regular basis. Kolo on the wide expanses of a damp MCG with a bunch of small forwards like Cameron, McCarthy, running him ragged. Lookout!
Im yet to see him really play a blinder in a final but id take 2 in the next 2 weeks, pity he will start on the bench more than likely tomorrow night, would be good to see him go crash bash into the first contest and set the tone.
As long as DF doesn't take out Guthrie again or another teammate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have really liked to see Parfitt in the side, esp because he missed last years PF with injury. But I think if you went back over our finals from the last few years you wouldn't find a player who averages more tackles than Parfitt, we could really use that on the G against a fast moving side.

I do expect us to pull a late change though so we'll see what happens.

Going to be very frustrated if Selwood and Danger start on the bench again, that was a failed experiment in the QF for sure.
Selwood had his best game for the year, not sure what game you’re watching brother

Kolo on the wide expanses of a damp MCG with a bunch of small forwards like Cameron, McCarthy, running him ragged. Lookout!
What an odd comment. He'll be matched up against a tall. Although I do worry about Bews and Duncan taking on Hipwood, McStay and Daniher in land of the giants. Oh wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense, does it?

Im yet to see him really play a blinder in a final but id take 2 in the next 2 weeks, pity he will start on the bench more than likely tomorrow night, would be good to see him go crash bash into the first contest and set the tone.

Danger was great in finals his first two seasons (2016-2017) and before that with Adelaide. 2018 onwards his record has been patchy.

Poor in 2018 EF or 2019 SF. 2019 PF he had a roaring first half and anonymous second, much like the team. Terrible 2020 GF. Average last week.

Our best player in 2019 QF. Good in 2020 QF, great 2020 SF, good 2020 PF. Still in our top few for 2021 finals, but it was a really low bar.

It gets a bit overblown how bad he's been in finals. His shockers really stand out and he's had about 5 of them - 2 in our closest chances at a flag vs Richmond. As a banged up veteran, he is performing fine the last few years.

Yep agree 100 %.
Although to argue with myself I understand that menegola is favoured ahead of Parf in the pecking order….in terms of flexibility of sub. Would be a real shame for Parf but just goes to show how tough it is to get spots…and match ups etc.

Now I did here before last game that menegola was going to be sub which ended up being incorrect (although curiously it was announced on radio pre game and confirmed by lappin and then was changed!)….so my mail might be off again

GAME DAY bretheren...!!!!!

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back