Prediction Proposed Pies Rd 1 team, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have Goldsack ahead of Reid and Roughead. Reid lacks the foot speed he once had needs in defence. Unless that was ongoing niggles slowing him down and he's now fit. Goldsack still has his pace at least. Roughead was never that good in defence. I'm crossing my fingers Dunn is back as be's ahead of the lot.
Do we know where Reid has been used in our match sim's at training?

I'd have Goldsack ahead of Reid and Roughead. Reid lacks the foot speed he once had needs in defence. Unless that was ongoing niggles slowing him down and he's now fit. Goldsack still has his pace at least. Roughead was never that good in defence. I'm crossing my fingers Dunn is back as be's ahead of the lot.
Goldsack isn't a KP defender unless the opponent in an undersized KP forward. Reid is easily the best CHB option if fully fit but I doubt that is possible unfortunately. I'd much prefer Moore up forward but we really do lack viable KP defender options with Dunn comming off a knee reco. Moore may well never reach his potential given his continual hamstring injuries. I don't really rate Roughead but he could surpirse - as Dunn did.

I do understand the Reid v Goldsack v Roughead discussion.

Will Reid recapture his better days....

But if Reid does, it’s no contest he can be a fine key back and far superior to the ever trying Goldsack.

Roughead is depth ofcourse.

I do understand the Reid v Goldsack v Roughead discussion.

Will Reid recapture his better days....

But if Reid does, it’s no contest he can be a fine key back and far superior to the ever trying Goldsack.

Roughead is depth ofcourse.

It's a massive 'if' with Reid. The last time he played CHB he looked a yard off it and cooked. But that was his first game back from an extended lay off so may not be a fair judgement. The reports from preseason are encouraging. But I think he has trained mostly up forward (is that true Jen2310 Albert Parker Apples?) so it may not even be in the clubs plans.

Goldsack isn't a KP defender unless the opponent in an undersized KP forward. Reid is easily the best CHB option if fully fit but I doubt that is possible unfortunately. I'd much prefer Moore up forward but we really do lack viable KP defender options with Dunn comming off a knee reco. Moore may well never reach his potential given his continual hamstring injuries. I don't really rate Roughead but he could surpirse - as Dunn did.

I disagree. Goldsacks 2017 season proved he is a key back. He had some bad days last year against the very best key forwards and following his knee reco. Goodsack isn't perfect but he is quick, tenacious and competitive. I don't have trust in Rougheads ability nor Reids body. Until they can prove otherwise Goldsack is the pick.

It's a massive 'if' with Reid. The last time he played CHB he looked a yard off it and cooked. But that was his first game back from an extended lay off so may not be a fair judgement. The reports from preseason are encouraging. But I think he has trained mostly up forward (is that true Jen2310 Albert Parker Apples?) so it may not even be in the clubs plans.
You might be right at that.

Pity, but the body is letting him down as is the aging process.
But I’ll more hope for his return to better days.
All up your likely more correct than me. Not really best 22 not no more.

I disagree. Goldsacks 2017 season proved he is a key back. He had some bad days last year against the very best key forwards and following his knee reco. Goodsack isn't perfect but he is quick, tenacious and competitive. I don't have trust in Rougheads ability nor Reids body. Until they can prove otherwise Goldsack is the pick.
I share your lack of trust. The reality is Moore will play CHB or FB depending on opponent and subject top fitness - again how can you trust his body - and Ried will play CHF if fit. Not my preference but that seems to be the clear plan. Re Goldsack, I think he struggles on taller players and the changes to set ups will possibly encourage more taller KP forwards. If Dunn isn't ready to go Goldsack probably has to take one of the KPD roles.

I share your lack of trust. The reality is Moore will play CHB or FB depending on opponent and subject top fitness - again how can you trust his body - and Ried will play CHF if fit. Not my preference but that seems to be the clear plan. Re Goldsack, I think he struggles on taller players and the changes to set ups will possibly encourage more taller KP forwards. If Dunn isn't ready to go Goldsack probably has to take one of the KPD roles.

Goldsack Speed is his greatest strength IMO

From someone who has been at most trainings, don't be surprised to see Roughy push into the best 22. He has been quite impressive so far this pre-season.
Yeah, I believe Reid has been training up forward, but I can't say I've seen enough of him this season so far to judge.

It's reflective of the bigger issue regarding the quality of our key position players. Moore is so critical and we are really pinning our hopes on him getting injury free and reaching his potential. Most of our options down back are on the wrongside of 30. We would really want to see Kelly or even Keane come on more quickly than expected. Or you might see us targetting someone like Astbury as an RFA who would compliment Moore while those guys develop.

I am in favour of chasing a decent FA as a target for the next off season. Not sure who is off contract but we should be into a few managers early. If it means we have to retire Reid and/or Dunn then sobeit.

It's reflective of the bigger issue regarding the quality of our key position players. Moore is so critical and we are really pinning our hopes on him getting injury free and reaching his potential. Most of our options down back are on the wrongside of 30. We would really want to see Kelly or even Keane come on more quickly than expected. Or you might see us targetting someone like Astbury as an RFA who would compliment Moore while those guys develop.
I’m sure the plan longer term is Moore and Kelly.

Till Kelly is ready Dunn should be fine assuming the knee is fine.
Then others can chip in as required.

While you shouldn't lose site of the long term, it is now that is most important guven where were are list wise. We should go all out for a flag in the next 2 years and we should assume Kelly won't figure. Planning on an untried kid to hold down a KP and help you win a flag is flawed. It took Reid & Brown half way ionto their 4th season to take the KP defensive positions with any authority and even then it was only injury to Presti that made the spot for Brown. It's the right strategy long term along with other options but given we finished second we should be going 100% for a flag now. We can't change this years list but we can target to imporve it in the off season which given clear deficiencies we should do.

As for others chipping in, I think the issue is the soundness of their bodies. Moore and Reid can't get on the park for any extended period and Dunn is 30+ and comming off a knee reco. He was never a star anyway. He'll do if he can get right for now but we should be working on the 2020 premiership lineup now (while aiming for he 2019 flag of course).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the last 18 year old Key Defender to make an impact at AFL level?

Who was the last 18 year old Key Defender to make an impact at AFL level?

Precisely. Our new key position defenders aren't ready for the responsibility just yet. Our older key position players are very close to the end of their careers. There's going to be a generational gap there.

I’m sure the plan longer term is Moore and Kelly.

Till Kelly is ready Dunn should be fine assuming the knee is fine.
Then others can chip in as required.

I'd be surprised if Dunn has much good footy in him past this year. I doubt Kelly is ready to go next year. I see it as a likely problem.

Dunn is 31 and could struggle rushing back from a reco, wouldn't expect him to have a good season. It's pretty much Moore locks down 1 KPD role or bust

Would agree that Scharenberg is a bit undersized as a KPD. If Moore remains injury free will be interesting to see if he can match the expectations the likes of Lyon and Watson have of him as a defender. His contested marking should be fine but not totally sure about the rest of it. Still young and developing in this role.

Will see if we can get enough out of Roughie and Dunn in support.

What would people think about swapping Mihocek with Moore or has Mihocek gone past Moore as a forward option?

Would agree that Scharenberg is a bit undersized as a KPD. If Moore remains injury free will be interesting to see if he can match the expectations the likes of Lyon and Watson have of him as a defender. His contested marking should be fine but not totally sure about the rest of it. Still young and developing in this role.

Will see if we can get enough out of Roughie and Dunn in support.

What would people think about swapping Mihocek with Moore or has Mihocek gone past Moore as a forward option?
In the limited time Mihocek has played forward has certainly out preformed Moore as a forward.
Moore looks better down back, in a small sample size, plays with more freedom.

In the limited time Mihocek has played forward has certainly out preformed Moore as a forward.
Moore looks better down back, in a small sample size, plays with more freedom.

Think you are right but I also think that when Moore played there we were a worse team and his body was quite skinny and he was often double-teamed so there might be some improvement in him as a forward if he is required to go there at times. Mihocek has been a real surprise packet we would have to say.

Moore is terrible at defending, the future at CHB is Scharenberg, not Moore
I hope not. Scharenberg is too short for permanent KPD and he's more likley to never play another 100 games than to play that many given his history. Even apart from that he's not proven he's a top line player let alone a quality KP player. He was ok last year until the latest ACL but the commentary on this board about how good he was was always overblown. He's going to be a reasonable intercept flanker or he's going to be lost to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back