Pt2: Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s also not true in the case of Smith and Stringer
it's part of that lack of cohesive list strategy you mentioned.

the conventional way to build is to go to the draft to build your platform so you've got a bunch of talented players hopefully peaking within a 3-4 year period together. once the foundation is there clubs usually go out to trade for 3-4 players that fill weaknesses.

essendon seemed to think they had that foundation in place. on what basis? who knows. trading out all those 1st and 2nd round picks for those 3 mature aged players was poorly timed though. that much is clear.

You gave up the picks that became Noah Balta and Tom De Konig for Jake Stringer. Imagine that they would be appreciated at the Bombers right now.

Not to mention the $800k you paid each of them.

The trades were:

- Pick 11 for Smith, Pick 25 and a future second rounder

- Picks 25 and 30 for Stringer

In what world is that selling the farm?

Neither player got near 800k either

it's part of that lack of cohesive list strategy you mentioned.

the conventional way to build is to go to the draft to build your platform so you've got a bunch of talented players hopefully peaking within a 3-4 year period together. once the foundation is there clubs usually go out to trade for 3-4 players that fill weaknesses.

essendon seemed to think they had that foundation in place. on what basis? who knows. trading out all those 1st and 2nd round picks for those 3 mature aged players was poorly timed though. that much is clear.

I didn’t say they were good trades I just pointed out we clearly didn’t sell the farm for them.

That being said people are critical of the Stringer trade have zero clue what they are talking about. He didn’t even command a large salary and has played over 100 games for us. There’s no requirement you have to draft core players

Devon Smith made the AA squad and won our best and fairest in his first year then reinjured his knee and was cooked from there on in.

Essendon have made a lot of errors but even with the benefit of hindsight I don’t see how these trades keep getting brought up as big problems.

I didn’t say they were good trades I just pointed out we clearly didn’t sell the farm for them.

That being said people are critical of the Stringer trade have zero clue what they are talking about. He didn’t even command a large salary and has played over 100 games for us. There’s no requirement you have to draft core players

Devon Smith made the AA squad and won our best and fairest in his first year then reinjured his knee and was cooked from there on in.

Essendon have made a lot of errors but even with the benefit of hindsight I don’t see how these trades keep getting brought up as big problems.
the trades are fine (or even good) in a vacuum. it just didn't make sense for where your list is at.

similar to Tiges getting in Taranto and Hopper. the trades themselves are probably fine, but they're not contending. they should have kept those picks to rebuild.

They were the sorts of trades you make to put your team over the top. To make the push from 5 to 8 on the ladder to 1-4 and get second chances and be a real GF contender. You were none of these things.

Devon Smith had cooked knees at GWS. there was a reason they were happy to let him go.

the trades are fine (or even good) in a vacuum. it just didn't make sense for where your list is at.

similar to Tiges getting in Taranto and Hopper. the trades themselves are probably fine, but they're not contending. they should have kept those picks to rebuild.

Agree the vision was wrong. Disagree that only lists looking to take a leap should look to use trades and free agency to improve.

There isn’t a list in the league that wouldn’t benefit from gaining 24-26 year a old good players at a reasonable price regardless of where they are in the list build imo.

If Carlton don’t make top 4 with their current list build does that mean the Adam Saad trade is a bad trade?

Agree the vision was wrong. Disagree that only lists looking to take a leap should look to use trades and free agency to improve.

There isn’t a list in the league that wouldn’t benefit from gaining 24-26 year a old good players at a reasonable price regardless of where they are in the list build imo.

If Carlton don’t make top 4 with their current list build does that mean the Adam Saad trade is a bad trade?
depends what stops us from getting there. that said, if we don't at least make a prelim with this list in the next 2-3 years I'd consider it a list building failure.

I think the difference is, you can see our spine in place. you can see a coherent list build strategy.

depends what stops us from getting there. that said, if we don't at least make a prelim with this list in the next 2-3 years I'd consider it a list building failure.

I think the difference is, you can see our spine in place. you can see a coherent list build strategy.

The 2017 season saw Hurley and Daniher make AA and Hooker kicked 40 goals.

I’m all for pointing out situations where Essendon overrated their list and made dumb decisions. The 2017 trades were not one of those instances.

I’m all for pointing out situations where Essendon overrated their list and made dumb decisions. The 2017 trades were not one of those instances.

We also got Saad for a second rounder that offseason and managed to on-trade him for a higher pick later on.

Not quite the disastrous offseason.

yeah fair enough, that is interesting then.

not sure what was missing then - was it just the big mid thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The state of this thread though... starting off with rivals bagging Dodo and Essendon fans sticking up for him.
Now a days it's the rivals who want him to stay and Essendon fans begging him to leave :tearsofjoy:

Not really. A lot of Essendon fans at the start of this thread weren't happy.

It’s also not true in the case of Smith and Stringer

Stringer was a bad choice.

Knowing the issues he had at the dogs, I was shocked you paid as much as you did.

A “bad egg” who the dogs were desperate to get rid off. He has failed to get the best out of himself and not the type of character you’d want.

I can see why opposition supporters would laugh.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

yeah fair enough, that is interesting then.

not sure what was missing then - was it just the big mid thing?

Hurley regressed big time in 2018, Daniher got injured, Fantasia started his run of being incredibly injury prone, McGrath didn't live up to being a number 1 pick, Heppell dropped off a cliff, definitely lacked a big mid, Worsfold was probably a bit past it coaching wise, probably a bit too accepting of mediocrity post 2016 suspension year and felt they owed the players who were involved. Probably plenty of other reasons as well.

Death, taxes and Carlton supporters obsessing about Essendon and Adrian Dodoro

Nothing more certain in life
I have a complex relationship with Essendon.

Hate the club, hate the admin, hate the cult-like culture Sheedy built that has forgiven mediocrity in every aspect of club management

But I have so many friends who jumped on Essendon as kids in the 90s and are still tragics (mosquito is such a steal, he'll win a norm Smith etc), my grandfather played u19s for them and I respect the sense of humour a few of you have to deal with the shit and keep on going.

I actually love the cult-like culture forgiving mediocrity, it give so much joy to the rest of us...

days since carlton last won a final: 0

days since essendon* last won a final: dodoro
Hey, he's built great lists for 20+ years. It's not his fault that the club keeps employing people who can't properly develop the players he picks. Eventually they'll get it right, but until then, we've got to give Dodo another 10-20 years (maybe 30, to be fair) so we can get the right mix of people around him.

Forgetting about any particular trades etc, it really is a very absurd situation that the same bloke has kept the job all that time. Even if someone’s tenure is aligned with success it has a certain lifespan, but to be aligned with the clubs least successful era and be there throughout?
Something just isn’t right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back