Analysis Pulling a match out of the fire. When have we done that last?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m talking about coming out at half time in the match that’s clearly not going our way and finding the way to win.

Last Saturday was a good example. Despite a bright start, at half time the game looked lost. The margin wasn’t big at that stage, so I’m not talking about comebacks here - more about finding a way to turn around a match that’s not going our way.

At half time we could have regrouped, thrown some magnets around the whiteboard and refuse to accept defeat which at that point looked inevitable.

Yet predictably we didn’t do that. When was the last time we found a way?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

2014 elim final against Essendon.
Think it was 15 to 50 at HT.

Also 2015 (?) against Richmond.
They were up by 30 odd pts and we turned it around and dominated them.

Yes. Seems like light years away now.

I’m talking about coming out at half time in the match that’s clearly not going our way and finding the way to win.

Last Saturday was a good example. Despite a bright start, at half time the game looked lost. The margin wasn’t big at that stage, so I’m not talking about comebacks here - more about finding a way to turn around a match that’s not going our way.

At half time we could have regrouped, thrown some magnets around the whiteboard and refuse to accept defeat which at that point looked inevitable.

Yet predictably we didn’t do that. When was the last time we found a way?

We've won games in Hobart kicking into the wind that we had no right to.

i remember being behind by around 5 (or more) goals v Richmond at half time in a H&A game, in the third we kicked something like 7 or 8 goals and ended up winning by around 5 goals - probably in 2014 or 2015 though.

The best of course was v *, 2014 elimination final - hence my avatar

Last edited:
Theres been quite a few, fave is 2014 Elimination Final v Ess.

But 1 I do remember it was around 2002, Friday night, MCG v Hawthorn, Mark Porter made a diving tackle to Shane Crawford,Hawthorn were on fire, we come out and beat them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about putting a match into the fire?

Nearly broke a woofer valve this night....

I wouldn't want to be overly critical of those gentlemen in yellow, but they did manage to scrape out a couple of *in' dodgy frees against JZ (drop kick) and Spitta (curving tumbling mongrel out of a pack). Maggots.

Last year against Carlton I thought North had to step up to regain the game - can't remember the scores. Feels as though it has been North's style for a while to come out strongly rather than have to come from behind.

You can say that, or you can say if we don’t start well, we typically accept our fate and roll over.

If a player has had a poor first half, it takes good coaching to get something out of them after half time. We don’t do a lot of it.

I wouldn't want to be overly critical of those gentlemen in yellow, but they did manage to scrape out a couple of ****in' dodgy frees against JZ (drop kick) and Spitta (curving tumbling mongrel out of a pack). Maggots.

Still angry about that " drop kick. " The look on Jack's face....." you're sh***ing me are'nt you ? "

Yeah I remember the game against the tiggers. Maj came out at half time in the red vest, and we kicked 8 of the next 9 goals or something.
Might have been Press Red for Kev day too IIRC?

Yeah, I was at the game, from when I was still living in Tassie. What a game.

Think we've also done this against Melbourne under Brad.

Slim pickings after that for 2nd half comebacks though.
I believe it was Round 8 2011? We were down by 30 points at one stage in the first quarter?

Melbourne choked after halftime from memory.

Under Brad Scott, the biggest 3/4 time deficit we’ve overcome is 11 points. That says it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back