Review Qualifying Final, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Leigh Montagna on The First Crack - The Lions have been GIFTED a chance to get to a Grand Final with not having to leave the Gabba till GF day. :mad::rolleyes:

My mistake I thought they earned the home QF by finishing 2nd, and then again earned a home Prelim by winning last night.

Leave Joey alone, give him a week to calm down about Saturday afternoon and he’ll be right. It’s tough coming to terms with the fact that your messiah is actually just a bog standard coach with an outdated game style

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

i've always said he's brilliant and does brilliant things.

But his worst is terrible. His rucking is futile. His non competing in the ruck led directly to one of Ports early goals. His non marking up of his opponent at a kick in led to another Port goal.

The thing is he's got Buddy level brilliance combined with a level of selfishness and incompetence that's astounding.

Sure you can focus on the brilliance side of the ledger but can you imagine if we had a Joe with THAT level of brilliance combined with the level of commitment, team focus and sheer grunt of, say Callum Ah Chee or Mitch robbo or Martin Pike . That would a Jon Brown level footballer. And all those things that joe lacks are purely attitude, desire and drive. He's got everything to be one of the all time greats at our club but it's just his attitude that lets him down.

For me, I'm disappointed that we're not going to see another Brown or a Daryl White or a Simon Black in Joe.......instead he'll only ever be a Warwick Capper.
Never seen a BS dribble of a post in such a long time and that's what hatred of a player does. Give it a spell for once, be a man and give credit where it's due.

I half rewatched the game and he clearly hates us.

Nah I genuinely think he’s just terrible at his job.

The few frees he gave us, I remember for every one of them thinking they were just as soft and questionable as the ones he paid against us

I can't stop replaying that Charlie double goal and crowd singing moment.

That might go down as one of the best moments in club history outside of winning a flag.

The way it was capped off by the loudest booing I’ve heard at the Gabba directly after as Williamson paid a free against Charlie was hilarious

That might go down as one of the best moments in club history outside of winning a flag.

It's right up there with the liiiooonnns chant that went around the stadium after crashing out of the 2019 finals.

The game ended, the crowd stayed and the liiiooonnns chant started up and didn't stop until all the players had left the field.

Was a remarkable crowd united moment, as was county roads.

Enduring memories.

The what happened memory is right. I'm sure you'll all let me know if I got the year wrong😁

Wasn't booed early. Only booed I think once after a slight scuffle with Cameron. Was lining up for a shot as well. Nothing in it
Ok. If that's all it was then fine, but there were plenty of other similar minor scuffles over the course of the night that didn't result in those players being targeted.

Last edited:
I loved everything about the game last night - except for the booing of Horne-Francis. Just why? He's done nothing to us to warrant that treatment.

Are we just copying other clubs' fans now? Are we that stupid, just piling on? Disappointing.
You're not gonna win many popularity contests if you decide to pick a fight with the man of the hour.

Pretty sure Charlie had to go change into a new guernsey after that scuffle, so I think he was entitled to a few boos (as was Butters).

Are you in Victoria? I’ve noticed a difference in the lions chant between in Melbourne and at the Gabba - in Melbourne it seems to be more drawn out and gloating like some of the other teams chants, whereas at the Gabba it’s faster and more aggressive, almost a “F*ck you” to the opposition
Not the person you replied to, but as a Vic fan that travels up to the Gabba for games I’ve got no idea what they’re complaining about. Things are obviously a little different when your home vs away team, but the speed of a chant is just nitpicking. Crowd was great, chant was great. It gets faster and more intense when the boys are being spurred on. Longer drawn out version typically pops up when the win is sealed. Hopefully we get another night of it in 2 weeks, and then another day of it in 3 weeks. Giddy up.

He’d compliment our midfield well but was a big reason they conceded 13 goals from clearances yesterday
drew usually plays a more general defensive mid role like dunkley to cover for rozee and butters but was too busy hanging off neale who worked him around and let our other mids get possession and run out the front of stoppage repeatedly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit dusty today
Got home from the game and had one more and watched the first half so some what felt like jet lag today.
So bit of gardening ,easy day
But every time I went down stairs I found myself singing the chorus
Then I YouTube how to play country road on guitar
Just love it
Now all we need is hippy to bring back am I ever gonna see your face again.

Last edited:
Are you in Victoria? I’ve noticed a difference in the lions chant between in Melbourne and at the Gabba - in Melbourne it seems to be more drawn out and gloating like some of the other teams chants, whereas at the Gabba it’s faster and more aggressive, almost a “F*ck you” to the opposition

No, was attending the Gabba when it first started up after the British/Irish Lions rugby tour in 2001 . Initially it was the long slow version, but has become faster over the years. And it was only brought out once we were out by around 5 goals.

I watched the game this evening on Kayo and we somehow just find a way to win but not only that … it was the that late third quarter charge. 10-15 mins foot on the gas and bam bam bam bam. Game over.
Was good to watch at the ground.

Wow, wasn't last night one of the most joyful ones as a lions supporter in recent years. I made the trip up from Melbourne and I am so glad I did! Back at home and enjoying the different experience of the replay tonight.

For parts of the game, it did look like their run and spread was really going to open us up. But I was super proud of how we used out weapons to shut them down and hurt them hard with our forward power.

Interesting that the expected score was 101.9 vs 89.8 (AFLxScore). We converted well (though a lot of goals very close range) and they missed opportunities but I am still suprised.

Live from the game I went for Rayner, Fletcher, McCluggage, Daniher and Andrews.

Rayner was superb, especially in the first half. He won some awesome contests and kicked three great goals. Likewise, every time Fletcher went near the ball something good happened. And he's really good at making sure he's at the right place at the right time. They both had sixteen possessions but especially live, they were so noticeable and had lots of real impact.

McCluggage is so joyful to watch. I find it can be hard to follow all of the midfield action at the game but Hugh is so smooth. Was the real playmaker. It takes it lot of heat of Neale to play out of his skin if Hugh can keep this in the campaign.

Daniher obviously impacted the score board but was generally making contents and pushing up. It was a real shame Hipwood didn't convert a few more opportunities as his workrate was excellent and I would have loved to included him in the votes. Cameron also worked really hard and laid some great tackles (especially that one on JHF). Also, those few minutes when he kicked his goals and we were all singing I will never forget.

At the game, I thought Andrews had a bigger impact than the replay with goal saving marks and spoils. Lord obviously did kick a few goals on him. At the game, I also liked Oscar's game. He'll never be a superstar but his pump it forward by any means necessary is pretty reliable in a final. Starc had some clumbsy moments. Watching the replay I enjoyed McKenna and Wilmot a lot from half back.

P.S. McKenna and Dunkley be like ... glad we didn't chose Port.

Last edited:
Bloke could be a star if he guarded the mark, locked down hard on his opponent when they have the ball, contested harder in the ruck, actually tackled, stand under the ball and take a strong mark....y'know, do the attitudinal things that stars do.
Having said that, I think his last 4 or 5 weeks have been a huge improvement, there's plenty to go though to make it to the standard that he could easily reach but just can't be bothered. I hope he can be the best footballer he can be before he's finished but I think his talent will go to waste.

He's flakey.... but brilliant in patches, and we're going into a finals campaign with him as our spearhead.....Yikes
IMO only but all those things you mention about Joe, did we not know what type of player he was when the club picked him up. Living in Melbourne i knew exactly what type of player he was when you watched him for play for essendon for many many years. He was always a laconic laid back different type of player. He can never be compared to a Browny or a Carey type of player. He is never gonna be the person to take a huge contested mark running back with the flight of the ball. You never want him to be the SOLE target in our forward line to win a game off his own boot and take the game by the scruff of the neck, he is not that type of player. I might be wrong but i dont think you have watched him play before he came to Brisbane because you would understand the nature of the bloke and the type of player he was and is if you would have watched him play. Sometimes i do get frustrated with him but that's Joe. We have learnt to take the VERY VERY GOOD with the sometimes bad. Personally i think he has been a star for our club this year since he copped a pasting in the media after that Bulldogs game for his lack of physicality .We have many different spearheads in our forward line, not sure how you isolate him as OUR spearhead and thinking we are putting all our eggs into him as a forward set up . GEEZ.

Last edited:
Back