Review Qualifying Final vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Well had a quiet day at work so got to see quite a bit of the game.
Looking forward to the replay.
My buddy Ebo was good...huge goal on the siren, big team lifting goal.
Jonas and Hartlett - brilliant
Motlop - I rate that as his best game for us
Dixon - obviously needed to hold marks but his forward presence led to a number of our goals. I think the fact he drew 2 defenders opened things up, particularly in the 3rd quarter.
Really hard to find someone who didn't contribute - midfield just kept pressing and eventually things went our way. Backline ensured that Hawkins was forced wide which was important after he missed the first couple of easy ones.

Special mentions to Duursma and Marshall - that was Port Adelaide!!!

A great team win. Everyone played a part, including our great supporters at the game. And I think we have further improvement in us and we will see that in the games to come.

It was a tight, brutal first half, hard to get clean possessions, it was like the game was being played on a field the size of a tennis court.

Although Geelong had plenty of it in the first half, there didn't seem much substance to it - I thought it felt a bit like rope-a-dope. At half time, I thought we had taken their best punches and I felt if we could find a bit of space we could open the game up and expose them with pace and quick ball movement. And so it turned out in the third quarter. It was remarkable how quickly we had them on the ropes in that third quarter and they were really quite lucky the margin didn't blow out completely.

I'm glad we finally made Geelong look like what they so often look like when they play teams other than Port - an overrated mix of hacks, honest triers and ageing has beens.

I wanted us to play Geelong first up because it was high time for us to stand up and be counted against this mob. Time to put the past behind us and stride boldly into the future and our destiny. We have done that and we now should have no fear of any opponent we come up against. Our expectation and destiny is to win the premiership and that is how it should be because we are Port Adelaide.

Rozee was a bee's dick away from tearing that game apart. Nearly got a hold of so many crumbs inside 50, just either fumbled or was held too close to get a clean look at it. Give this guy any space in the prelim and look out.

Yep, slipped over at the wrong time in several moments which he could've created something

Was nice to see him go back and slot that goal though, despite multiple team mates screaming at his head to handball to the player semi defended in the goal square.

Yep, slipped over at the wrong time in several moments which he could've created something

Was nice to see him go back and slot that goal though, despite multiple team mates screaming at his head to handball to the player semi defended in the goal square.

People are worried about Brisbane being slippery in a night grand final but many players from both teams slipped over tonight and many dropped marks from our talls that looked because it may have been slippery. So perhaps AO is just as slippery if not more at this time of year. Good preparation I guess.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s the intent though. They don’t want the Grand final to show up the MCG as not the only venue that can put on a great match. They’ll have the sterile game and all the Victorians in and out of the ‘A’FL will be all about this proves why the MCG should have grand finals until the year 4621.
This is probably more true than we would like to think.

Nah! I have a different opinion.

They are thinking on this season alone. They just don't want to risk a team from SA or WA to have a home field advantage over a Vic side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins may have missed his shots but we forced him to have low percentage shots on goal. When your only opportunities are coming from the boundary line, of course you're going to miss a few. The team did its job.

Yep. Chalk and cheese compared to last time, where they generated heaps of 1 on 1s in transition because our pressure wasn't there. Hawkins only had one shot where he didn't start his run up over the boundary line was that mark down the southern end, which was also on a 45°+ angle.

Teams used to do it to us and people would bemoan our poor kicking. It wasn't poor kicking, it was that we were taking low percentage shots either under pressure or from tight angles and distance.

Now it's what we do to opposition teams, even great attacking sides like Geelong. Force them wide, force them to turn the ball over. Force them to take low percentage shots because shots are few and far between.

They played one final at Kardinia Park and lost to Fremantle.

They can't win finals outside Victoria.

They can't win finals at the MCG against other Vic teams.

And they whinge about finals venues?

Where the fu** do they want to play their finals then?
In late news, it's been revealed that the Geelong players have been ordered to consume nothing but tomato soup for the next week, in the hope they don't choke.

Congratulations guys.
Well deserved win.

I'm stoked for Hinkley.
He copped a bit of criticism but the team he's built in recent years looks to have the right mixture of hardness and top end class. That third quarter was quite an eye opener for the Geelong coaching staff. The team could not handle the pressure or the speed in which Port zipped the ball around the field. To think Dixon was held relatively quiet should give your fans a lot of enthusiasm heading into a knock out prelim final.

I recall Geelong nearly getting rid of Bomber Thompson at the end of 2006 and they went on to have great success. A lot of shrewd drafting has now given Port a wonderful opportunity to succeed in the coming years.
Good luck.

Hard to find a player who didn't have a moment tonight. An honest to god team win. A brilliant mixture of the old reliables (Boak, Hartlett, Jonas, Gray, Dixon) the kids (Duursma, Marshall, Rozee, Butters, SPP, DBJ) and the small group of questionable fringey sort of guys who stood up in a big match and proved plenty of us to be wrong (Ebert, Burton and Motlop).

Have loved the way we've grinded wins like that all year. The lads are playing for each other like never before. Small moments stand out to me, Butters getting high fives from teammates for a smother. DBJ and Robbie giving Dangerfield lip after stopping him dead. Duursma going back with the flight, copping an absolute smashing and then our captain and vice captain rushing to just make sure he was alright. Motlop's finger twirl. Marshall carrying a shoulder all night kicks the sealer and half the team mugs him.

Boaky said it best when he mentioned the connection and family feel after the game I reckon.

I have looked into our Minor Round games. The closest in kin to our QF victory would be our home win against the Bulldogs in R10:

--- Full Time
--- Halves
--- Quarters

In R10, the quarters were more wild. The Dogs' scores were concentrated in two quarters; ours, in one. Nonetheless, the numbers ended up quite similar, didn't they?

Last edited:
Nah! I have a different opinion.

They are thinking on this season alone. They just don't want to risk a team from SA or WA to have a home field advantage over a Vic side.

They were thanks QLD government for allowing the competition to survive and possibly will be relying on them next year if everyone still panicking about corona

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How's this ripper from the Geelong board:

The crowd played a huge part in Port winning that, and its unjust the game was in Adelaide. Just like tomorrow is wrong for the game to be in Perth and for Richmond to play Brisbane in Brisbane. These finals should have been played at Neutral cites, Port Brisbane West Coast have not earned home finals from a fair and even playing field.
I just when I liked the post. Flog

Beating Geelong when it matters is something we've never done since 07. A big step inside our own 4 walls. Now to take a leap.

I seem to recall that we couldn't beat Geelong when it mattered in 2007. We beat Geelong in the Qualifying Final in 2004 so hopefully this is an omen.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back