Game Day R.3 AFLW - Crows vs Carlton - 11.35AM Sunday Thebarton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of additional thoughts from the weekend:

• Heather Anderson has been huge for us all three weeks. Her speed and running has been magnificent and she'd be AA right now. I haven't seen her mentioned too much but she deserves some serious kudos.
  • If we were cleaner with our hands we would be smashing teams. Carlton were noticeably cleaner that us with their skills. If we could reach that standard we're going to be very hard to stop.

The fumbles were occurring in the warm up and I thought that they looked nervous which was very different from the warm up against GWS and the Bulldogs which was really sharp. Once they pulled their heads in and all worked to start playing our game in the second half instead of playing the Blues game like they did in the first half the game very much changed more in our favour and we started to improve the skills and confidence. I think we were not sure how we would go against them and being the hunted. Now we know we can play better and worked out Carlton and absorbed their tactics.

I disagree. There are a lot more young families I've seen at the AFLW than the AFL and part of that is cost, but also the shortness of the games which works great for children's attention spans. It's the same thing with the BBL in cricket - the shorter game works best for being attractive to children. Also, it is played in summer, which is why the shorter quarters were also implemented and, thirdly, the players were not easily running out the game. I was sitting near the interchange and those players were coming off completely stuffed in the last quarter.
And how good is Theb oval for families? I took my 4 year old for the inaugural game. I won't take her to the men's game for many a year. Big difference between the two.

And how good is Theb oval for families? I took my 4 year old for the inaugural game. I won't take her to the men's game for many a year. Big difference between the two.

How so?

Is it just a better atmosphere at the womens game?

Are the food and drinks at a reasonable price? I mean, last year I went to an AFL game and went to get something to eat and drink and when I got back my wife took one look at me and called the St Johns person over I was that pale. The guy came over and asked me was I having trouble breathing, did I have chest pains and I looked at him and said "$8 for a hot dog and they wanted extra for sauce".

Apparently he said he gets that a lot

A couple of additional thoughts from the weekend:

• Heather Anderson has been huge for us all three weeks. Her speed and running has been magnificent and she'd be AA right now. I haven't seen her mentioned too much but she deserves some serious kudos.

She's also super clean with the ball, I'm impressed almost every time she gets it. Just needs to get a few more possessions and she'll be right up there :thumbsu:

How so?

Are the food and drinks at a reasonable price? I mean, last year I went to an AFL game and went to get something to eat and drink and when I got back my wife took one look at me and called the St Johns person over I was that pale. The guy came over and asked me was I having trouble breathing, did I have chest pains and I looked at him and said "$8 for a hot dog and they wanted extra for sauce".

Nice.

Going to AFLW is like going to SANFL. It is good for families. It is not just the price it is the atmosphere. The ability for the kids to run around a bit. Everything AFL is not.

How so?

Prepare to wait for your food , and at the moment its basic. Norwood might do better or get a pass out for the cafes.

$2.50 sausage sizzle from Crows Supporter Group. A Yiros $10 van. Coffee for $4. But one machine was broken and that left 1 machine for everybody who wanted a coffee. Oh and a few beer tents

Its a family atmosphere. There is genuine excitement, not much criticism and no dramas ( that I could see). A country GF would be close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back