Preview R18: Changes v Collingwood @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely you won't have 22 gun players, but the ones who are at the bottom of the 22 should at least be able to occasionally bob up and do something other than just pressure the ball carrier. That is literally all we pick Murphy for.

McHenry and Rowe you can at least argue will occasionally kick goals or deliver the ball inside 50 and find a target. There's a reason Jared Petrenko didn't last in our side and we recruited Betts and drafted and promoted Charlie Cameron.
Yeah, you want your small forwards to be at least somewhat well-rounded. For the role Murphy plays, his defensive pressure is fine enough, but you'd want him to also have the ability to create his own scoring opportunities if needed. A goal a game or more would be about par, but he's nowhere near that

McHenry and Rowe have their deficiencies as forwards too, obviously. Need to eventually replace those three with a mixture of well-rounded smalls and medium-sized players (two of one, one of the other). At the end of it all, we need to have at least four, preferably five players in our side going at over a goal a game

We have a game plan?
We're doing what some successfull sides did in their rebuild.

I'm looking at Brisbane and Carlton

We're being overly simplistic and only focusing on one facet of the game, to impove the team slowly from a basketcase to the ultimate goal.
Right now we're trying to get the defensive mechanisms in place.

Sure, it's stopping us kicking a winning score often. But I feel Nicks is sacrificing wins to teach the team components of his gameplan.

The question though is will he piece it together like Fagan (5-17 74%, 5-17 89%, 16-6 119%, 14-3 124%, 15-7 133%) or will it be the Teague (6-5, 7-10, 8-14) sacked and someone else takes everythng the team learnt and puts it together to be good.

IDK, but what I do believe is our team is very young and alot of key contributors are having sophmore slumps (Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Scholl etc.) It's next year I think midtable is on the radar.

We're being overly simplistic and only focusing on one facet of the game, to impove the team slowly from a basketcase to the ultimate goal.

Sure, it's stopping us kicking a winning score often. But I feel Nicks is sacrificing wins to teach the team components of his gameplan.

The question though is will he piece it together like Fagan (5-17 74%, 5-17 89%, 16-6 119%, 14-3 124%, 15-7 133%) or will it be the Teague (6-5, 7-10, 8-14) sacked and someone else takes everythng the team learnt and puts it together to be good.

IDK, but what I do believe is our team is very young and alot of key contributors are having sophmore slumps (Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Scholl etc.) It's next year I think midtable is on the radar.

If that was true we'd be trying to bed down our back 7 first. Build a stable backline. Let them gel and grow together.

We haven't done this though. Frampton has had a turn back there. Hinge has been in and out plus used on the wing. Jones has been in and out of the team. Dawson pinch hitting down there on a needs basis.

Year 1 then yeah maybe there'd be some shuffling to work out which players to invest in but it's Year 3.

I don’t think we're really clear on what we're doing.

After watching the replay last week, McHenry was 5x better than Rowe who was absent and 5x better than standard Murphy, hence I am ok with him in. But what, what, what is the reason for no Cook. Delist group for me: Him, McAsey, Worrel, Rowe, Murphy, Hately, Crouch, Davis, Borlase, Frampton. None of them have shown they are good enough. Simple. Hately showed it but his disposal is that of an eight year old. Smith needs to go to kicking skill school along with Keys and Laird and a few others. Soligo is our best player considering age and experience. Will be, outright next year along with Dawson. Need a huge changing of the guard.

On Redmi Note 9 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep McHenry and Thilthorpe were probably the 2 that were ordinary first half that lifted the most in the 2nd half

Rowe was just poor all game

Pressure and contest should be basic concepts you hit first, not in year 3. We got hit hard in 2 games and he panicked and felt he needed to go back to square one? That's not good coaching at all if he feels he has to go back to the basics every time we struggle. And he's basically picked the same team for the last 10 weeks, what aren't they getting about these basic concepts that he needs to forsake everything else to teach?

He's emphasising style, but there's very little structural work going into what we do, it's why we're do easy to counter. The messaging around it is just repetitive nonsense, like Nicks is just ranting PRESSURE! CONTEST! ONE WOOD! DNA! at every press conference.

According to Nicks, Crouch was only a "late in" last week due to McAdam not being available.

The question is - why would Crouch be in for McAdam?

He then says we are reverting our midfield setup to what it was against Roos and Dees.

So we changed our entire midfield setup - which looked okay, and even somewhat dynamic, for 7 of 8 quarters against Roos and Dees - to accommodate Crouch, and we got spanked.

That was either an elite tanking performance at selection last week, or they've got no idea.

Last edited:
According to Nicks, Crouch was only a "late in" last week due to McAdam not being available.

He then says we are reverting our midfield setup to what it was against Roos and Dees.

So we changed our entire midfield setup - which looked okay, and even somewhat dynamic, for 7 of 8 quarters against Roos and Dees - to accommodate Crouch, and we got spanked.

That was either an elite tanking performance, or they've got no idea.
At this point.. nothing Nicks says can be trusted.

He is a dead man walking and he knows it..

The media have turned the spotlight onto him now that the Noble story is done.. the beginning of the end starts today.. it might take 12 months but he’s gone.. because this team isnt gonna improve a drop with its current midfield.

That was either an elite tanking performance at selection last week, or they've got no idea.
Especially when we only just dropped Murphy last week and took him over as an emergency. As much as we don't want him in the side, it would at least make sense from a structural perspective.

Crouch didn't play vs Melbourne and we lost so they brought him back in

Crouch played vs Hawthorn and we lost so they dropped him

We are deep thinkers
Nicks just said in his presser that Crouch was the replacement for McAdam...

Further proof he's only interested in picking the same players regardless of fit.

Nicks just said in his presser that Crouch was the replacement for McAdam...

Further proof he's only interested in picking the same players regardless of fit.

Adjusted our whole midfield mix, which looked better for the few weeks prior, as well as robbing the forward 50, in order to accommodate Crouch. Then we just change it up again a week later.

There's no system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Especially when we only just dropped Murphy last week and took him over as an emergency. As much as we don't want him in the side, it would at least make sense from a structural perspective.
Exactly, Crouch in made no sense when there was Murphy. But really Cook or Newchurch should have been given a go.

But we haven't reverted to the same midfield mix, because we've dropped Hately

Fun Facts with Grotto

The Crows have lost their past 6 head to head games with the Pies, with their last win being in 2016 at Adelaide Oval

To remind you all how long thats been, our leading goal kickers for that game was Betts, Lynch and Lyons.

Our players with leading disposals in that game was Brouch, Henderson and Sloane.

Fun Facts with Grotto

The Crows have lost their past 6 head to head games with the Pies, with their last win being in 2016 at Adelaide Oval

To remind you all how long thats been, our leading goal kickers for that game was Betts, Lynch and Lyons.

Our players with leading disposals in that game was Brouch, Henderson and Sloane.
I like the facts. Thank you for them

But I take issue with the fun part 🤣

I like the facts. Thank you for them

But I take issue with the fun part 🤣
lol

Thanks, my pleasure. I do look/study the stats a lot and come across a lot of them, most are boring, some interesting.

I know there is a few in here that like them, so I keep posting them. I do verify and triple check them, as I said before Im fairly confident someone is always checking them, lol. I dont mind it as it keeps me on my toes when I post them, Im not perfect with them, but I try to be. :think:

I might pull out a made up fact one day and see if anyone notices it.:$

Had several options to pass it off. As for Keays, he’s always got the blinkers on inside 50.
I think both Smithers and Keays have the team and Club at heart. I don't think either of them are big-headed glory seekers and they're two of our hardest working players. Both would be very frustrated at W-L results (who isn't?), the manner of losing, and confused by inexplicable selection anomalies.
Unfortunately, I think those acts (not giving off to a teammate in a better poz) are a failure of leadership. They see what's going on, they see the rookie mistakes that the kids are making, the skill errors, the poor goalkicking and they do not trust their teammates. Worse, because Nicks does not trust them, either. In his mind, it's not the game plan, but the players' inability to enact the game plan. It's not poor selection, it's inexperience/youth/pick an excuse.
The senior players can't trust the "game plan" or selection process, either.
So, they think that if it's going to get done, they have to do it. That's not out of malice, but urgency, and passion to do well for the team.
But it's misplaced. It's counter-productive. The juniors are confused and must sense that their older, more experienced teammates do not trust them.

The probelms are many and all have been well-identified in here so I am not going to list them.
They like each other; they get on great, but the trust and teamwork are missing and something Nicks and the leadership group must fix, pronto.

Fun Facts with Grotto

Yeah even when we were good Collingwood has it over us.

Nothing worse than hearing the "cooolllllliiiinnngwooood" chant in the last quarter once their win is certain. Especially at home.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

lol

Thanks, my pleasure. I do look/study the stats a lot and come across a lot of them, most are boring, some interesting.

I know there is a few in here that like them, so I keep posting them. I do verify and triple check them, as I said before Im fairly confident someone is always checking them, lol. I dont mind it as it keeps me on my toes when I post them, Im not perfect with them, but I try to be. :think:

I might pull out a made up fact one day and see if anyone notices it.:$
They are good Stuff like this what makes places like big footy unique 👍

One day we will do a quiz night on AFC facts and you'll smash it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back