Preview Changes Rnd 11 vs Brisbane Bears, Sunday twilight at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I read what he said:
"We lost against the Dogs with a lot of missing key players (no Tex, RT, Doedee) and Hinge got injured in the first quarter. In the other rainy game against the Pies, we were leading 99% game time and lost it in the literal last minute.
Based on the above, you can’t honestly conclude we’re a bad wet weather team?
".

Missing players or not, we played the personnel we played and got flogged. Their absence made the team weaker, but that's no excuse for the remainder to play crap. I don't think the Dogs' loss had anything to do with the weather/rain-or-not/conditions and from what I can tell neither do you. The Crows were second to the ball, hesitant, fumbly and weak, maybe made worse by the slipperiness but the Dogs handled it ok.
JW thinks otherwise, and so what?
It's all subjective opinion/interpretation eg like that Pedlar mark/dropped ball/Keays goal in the Saints game. People were adamant he did not play on. Others were equally as certain that he did.
The only way to know for sure would be to ask Pedlar and he'd probably fudge anyway.

I disagree with him, but he's allowed to think that if he wants. I'm not fussed. Why are you?
So many things that happen in a game are interpreted in different ways; it always surprises me that people get so heated about a difference of opinion.

I agree that their goalkicking flattered us and made the loss seem less convincing than it was, but with the qualification that we'll never know how Tex/RT/Doedee would have played. Maybe they'd have shat the bed like the rest of them did. I think the forwards missed Tex's voice/organisation/presence/leadership, but our mids were garbage and the ball went forward badly.
Thanks for the moral support. Just want to be clear that it’s probably a lost cause with a few posters on here.

My original post was towards another poster to question their observation on whether we’re genuinely a poor wet weather team, considering it’s based on essentially 2 matches this year. One of which we lost by 1 point against the league leader, and other loss was when we had 4 missing first choice players. A fair question to ask, I would have thought?

Then the usual band of gang bashers jump on the conversations to make it seem I’m making an excuse for the recent loss, when I was merely talking about our overall wet weather skills. This is their game though, manipulate a dialogue and twist it into some straw man argument. I’m bored of that game.

Mate…..
Yeah, fair enough. Cheers. I'll do what I should have done 3 pages ago.

My opening sentence to GK was:
"With respect, I'm not sure what your point is there, GK, and it strikes me as being unfair."
I discussed the things I agreed/disagreed with, and later made the point that people are allowed to post their opinions in here (good and bad, and it helps if they back up their points).

We're on the same side; we barrack for the same team.
There's a huge difference between "I disagree, and here's why" and
"I disagree; you're stupid".

The one sensible thing GK said was I don't have to read his posts, and I won't from here on in (ignore).
Nobody has to read mine either (put me on ignore, no worries) but if they do and give me belittling crap when they reply, I won't tolerate it.

We haven't lost a game with Ned in the side this year.

(arguments about small sample size notwithstanding)

Tex coming back is what I’m mostly looking forward to. Hopefully he fires up the belly and kicks another bag of 4-5 goals. I can’t be sure but from general recollection, Tex usually does well after returning from an injury or a rest week.

Thanks for the moral support.
If anything, I'm defending my stance against keyboard warrior aggro in here.
The smartarse, snide put-downs hiding behind anonymity --- I'm sick of it.

Fwiw, I disagree with your point about the 4-players-missing which I think is unrelated to whether the Crows play well in wet weather. No big deal. But I'm not gonna abuse you for it.
Sometimes they play ok in the wet, sometimes not.
Last week was garbage and could've been a scoreboard slaughter if they'd kicked straighter (and a few of their misses might have been caused by slippery ball-drop).

We haven't lost a game with Ned in the side this year.

(arguments about small sample size notwithstanding)
That’s a good observation. Deserves to get a whole game, but I think it’s a reflection that a few lads have jumped above him in terms of raw talent and overall game impact. Ned isn’t doing much wrong, just the others are probably doing more right.

Tex coming back is what I’m mostly looking forward to. Hopefully he fires up the belly and kicks another bag of 4-5 goals. I can’t be sure but from general recollection, Tex usually does well after returning from an injury or a rest week.
3,1,1,4,3 in the last 5 games after a Week or so off.

If anything, I'm defending my stance against keyboard warrior aggro in here.
The smartarse, snide put-downs hiding behind anonymity --- I'm sick of it.

Fwiw, I disagree with your point about the 4-players-missing which I think is unrelated to whether the Crows play well in wet weather. No big deal. But I'm not gonna abuse you for it.
Sometimes they play ok in the wet, sometimes not.
Last week was garbage and could've been a scoreboard slaughter if they'd kicked straighter (and a few of their misses might have been caused by slippery ball-drop).
I’m not arguing that we’re a great weather team, I was asking another poster are we really that bad of a wet weather team?
If you have 4 key personnel changes to any side, I think that could have a dramatic effect on the overall confidence and balance of the team. It’s all what-ifs, but certainly can’t judge wet weather skills on just one very bad outcome.
More importantly against the Pies, we seem to handle the wet weather ball fine, just the lack of composure at the end is what stuffed us up.

I like big Tex and I cannot lie ... and the forwards around him will no doubt benefit from his presence, organisation, assists etc.
I'm more concerned about the Crows' intensity/effort/toughness.
If they give it everything and lose, I won't like it but there's no shame in getting done by a better side. If there's a repeat of last week's gone-missing garbage, Nicks might have a serious problem on his hands.

I like big Tex and I cannot lie ... and the forwards around him will no doubt benefit from his presence, organisation, assists etc.
I'm more concerned about the Crows' intensity/effort/toughness.
If they give it everything and lose, I won't like it but there's no shame in getting done by a better side. If there's a repeat of last week's gone-missing garbage, Nicks might have a serious problem on his hands.
Losing badly in some games is still part expected of a rebuilding side. It’s how we respond after a thrashing is what will tell us more about the players psyche, and whether there is true progression.

I’m not arguing that we’re a great weather team, I was asking another poster are we really that bad of a wet weather team?
Yeah, and you copped unfair garbage for it.
If you have 4 key personnel changes to any side, I think that could have a dramatic effect on the overall confidence and balance of the team. It’s all what-ifs, but certainly can’t judge wet weather skills on just one very bad outcome.
Balance, maybe. Confidence? Nah.
Without those 4 the rest of them, especially their replacements, could have risen to the challenge, seized their opportunity and make at least a real, tough game of it.
They didn't. It said a lot about their mindset and effort, rather than their ability to handle wet weather/
More importantly against the Pies, we seem to handle the wet weather ball fine, just the lack of composure at the end is what stuffed us up.

Wet weather play, ok. Lack of composure, nah.
it was 3.6 to 0.2, then 3.10 to 3.4 at half time.
Play-wise it was a good, tough game but let's say it was
6.3 to 0.2 (ie the Crows convert their dominance to scoreboard pressure) at 1/4 time.
All else being equal, we win by 14 points.
In fact, if it had been 4.5 to 0.2 (4-point win), or 5.4 to 0.2 (9-point win), we win.

It was compounded by kicking 3.5 to 2.1 in the third 1/4 (so, 6.15 to 5.5 at 3/4 time) ie more gameplay dominance not converted to scoreboard pressure.
The Crows left the door open and the Pies (known to be strong finishers) took advantage.

Top-4 sides, Flag-winning sides, do not leave the door open like that.
Remember the '98 GF, NM 6.15 to Crows 4.3? 24 points down, won by 35.

For the rest of this year, we'll be mid-table making-up-the-numbers.
Gotta be a chance for the 8, next year, then maybe Top-4 in 2025 but really only contenders if we finish Top-2. It's gonna be a long wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the changes.

Obviously we are a much better side with Tex & TT over Himmelberg and Gollant (although Gollant looks to be a player).

Doedee and Worrell are a better pairing than Hinge & Parnell. Doedee is a slight upgrade on Hinge (better defensively, but loses a little with the football). Worrell is a massive massive upgrade on Parnell who despite all the fanfare this offseason has been disappointing.

This side is pretty close to our best 22 IMO. With all players to choose from I would probably bring in Mcadam for Murphy and Hinge for Milera with Milera to the Sub position.

I like the changes.

Obviously we are a much better side with Tex & TT over Himmelberg and Gollant (although Gollant looks to be a player).

Doedee and Worrell are a better pairing than Hinge & Parnell. Doedee is a slight upgrade on Hinge (better defensively, but loses a little with the football). Worrell is a massive massive upgrade on Parnell who despite all the fanfare this offseason has been disappointing.

This side is pretty close to our best 22 IMO. With all players to choose from I would probably bring in Mcadam for Murphy and Hinge for Milera with Milera to the Sub position.
Cook or nankervis for Sholl is the next obvious swap

Our draw has actually been horrible considering where we finished last year

In terms of who we’ve played and where

you don't know the difficulty of the draw until the minor round has concluded. A few weeks ago we faced a top 4 team and blew them away at home. They're now a 12th ranked side. People get far too wound up with fixtures early in the season. Our Port win and Pies loss were better form lines than our 'top 4 toppling' Carlton win.

Edit - Currently

Last edited:
You see John this is why you open yourself up to ridicule.

4 key personal changes when they are talls has no impact to the result when the opposition midfield and running players destroyed us and had they kicked straight, which has been another fallback for you, would have been a smashing and yet you don’t mention it all.

But this latest post sums you up. Defend Soligos substitution as having no bearing on the result, repeatedly argue that Nicks didn’t admit wrong when he did. Yesterday you let slip we lost because of the midfield in the last. When pointed out Soligo a very good midfielder was subbed out, today you’ve switched it to lack of composure.

Never change John.

The SANFL boys had a good win last night @ Norwood, even if the scoreboard is unnerving:
ADELAIDE: 0.3 1.8 4.10 8.12 (60)
NORWOOD: 0.1 3.1 3.3 5.6 (36)

4.10 :grimacing: to 3.3 @ 3/4 time --- easy to lose from there, but they finished strongly.
"Schoenberg amassed 20 disposals by half-time, after working hard both ways to influence the game and gave Adelaide first use."
Some other interesting points here:

you don't know the difficulty of the draw until the minor round has concluded. A few weeks ago we faced a top 4 team and blew them away at home. They're now a 12th ranked side. People get far too wound up with fixtures early in the season. Our Port win and Pies loss were better form lines than our 'top 4 toppling' Carlton win.

Edit - Currently
Yep agree … the Carlton win seems less impressive than the freo win suddenly

To me the draw didn’t look hard pre the season but it seems a bit ruthless at the moment

Alot of it is the scheduling off Broadway ( Tassie Geelong Darwin Ballarat )

I know it’s nothing new but it’s rubbish that we have to do it every year

Ports draw was supposed to be harder but so far it’s looked easier

Agree , even now we don’t know ….. a game like the swans at home second last game of year looks ok on paper now but if they are full strength by then and playing good football it will suddenly be very difficult

Yep agree … the Carlton win seems less impressive than the freo win suddenly

To me the draw didn’t look hard pre the season but it seems a bit ruthless at the moment

Alot of it is the scheduling off Broadway ( Tassie Geelong Darwin Ballarat )

I know it’s nothing new but it’s rubbish that we have to do it every year

Ports draw was supposed to be harder but so far it’s looked easier

Agree , even now we don’t know ….. a game like the swans at home second last game of year looks ok on paper now but if they are full strength by then and playing good football it will suddenly be very difficult

Looking harder the SWans even right now. When we beat Port it was ignored as a form line win. Port had just been smoked by Pies and posters here are generally invested in them being s**t and winning showdowns that they ignore any bigger pictures. Most still couldn't bring themselves to rate that as our best win purely because it infers quality upon them. And as the Freo win looks better, the Cats loss is deteriorating at an equal rate with their 2 recent losses against middling opposition.

Looking harder the SWans even right now. When we beat Port it was ignored as a form line win. Port had just been smoked by Pies and posters here are generally invested in them being s**t and winning showdowns that they ignore any bigger pictures. Most still couldn't bring themselves to rate that as our best win purely because it infers quality upon them. And as the Freo win looks better, the Cats loss is deteriorating at an equal rate with their 2 recent losses against middling opposition.
Yep exactly

The not playing in melb until July is a disgrace

And going to every corner of australia , we should be fuming and wanting some changes in next years draw

Yep exactly

The not playing in melb until July is a disgrace

And going to every corner of australia , we should be fuming and wanting some changes in next years draw

Bigger picture is that all interstate sides should play at finals venues when playing a VIC side. That said, if a financial basket case needs to sell a home game to Cairns or NT for growth or whatever and reduce their advantage, then I'm happy enough with that. But no ballarat and no Tassie for any of us. They should all be vic on vic games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back