BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
Round 19
GWS GIANTS vs Port Adelaide Power
Skoda Stadium
Sat 4th August, 2:10pm

Kevin Sheedy's 1000th total game as a player/coach

Teams: TBA Thursday

Ins and outs?

Coniglio and Shiel should be a good chance to return from injury, likewise Cornes after being a late withdrawal against Collingwood. edit: Mohr would have to be likely too.

Kennedy, Phillips, Hombsch, Whiley, Golds and Clifton were the best for UWS in NT. You'd think a couple of that group will return to the senior side, we haven't seen a lot of Kennedy or Hombsch lately.

Brogan and Phillips should both be available for selection, but the Giles/Folau ruck combo could continue and I don't see why not.

Patton was subbed out against Collingwood as he has regularly been as he builds up fitness without having had a pre-season, but he did have ice on his knee on the bench (I didn't see the sub, was there actually impact or limping prior?)

$20 GA tickets for Sheedy's 1000th (normally $25 aren't they?), so there's a good chance to coax others to come down to the footy for the afternoon.

One good thing out of the Collingwood game: Folau developing a great leap and deft touch as a ruck.

I was sitting ground level side on to the centre square so had a great view of the centre bounce. The stats read that Izzy had 10 hit outs, my guess is that they were pretty much all in the centre where he had, quite frankly, sublime touch. Sometimes it was sharked and sometimes it went straight into the path of a Giant but he has a clear future as a back-up tap ruckman who can go forward. He needs to improve is his work at boundary throws and other stoppages, but his centre square work was outstanding.

You have to remember that Phillips was always a rookie-listed project player and wouldn't have been elevated to even get a game if Setanta hadn't gone down. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Sauce but I also like the way Izzy has gone about his ruck duties.

Cogs to return. I want Steve Clifton back and a defence that has Mohr, Hombsch and Cornes in it is a better one for us. I've also been liking Kennedy's second, third and fourth efforts.

Oh, and can somebody other than Lukey Power take the kick ins this week please. :)

You would expect the boys to be primed for Port with the former ties of snr players and assistant coaches. We should be able to get a good side on the park with Cornes and Brogan ( one last gallop he should give it his all) looking to settle old scores, Coniglio and Shiel returning from injuries and Mohr and maybe Hombsch to stiffen up the defence.

Lets all get behind the lads and try and get some new faces to the game in the crowd to give Sheeds the milestone game he deserves.

Judging by our form you blokes would be half a chance at home.

From the Port perspective - Hartlett has been declared fit and Schulz will face a fitness test to see if he is right to go.
Schulz won't play. Hartlett and Rodan surely will be recalled though.

Gaints fans what's the word on Chadly? Will he play?

Schulz won't play. Hartlett and Rodan surely will be recalled though.

Gaints fans what's the word on Chadly? Will he play?
Chad should be in, was a late withdrawal with a virus for the Collingwood game. There's been no word as such but you'd assume he's at least 50-50 to play at the beginning of the week.

Hoping for a win for you guys:thumbsu:

You know what? So am I.

If Matthew Primus and Peter Rohde are at the club in 2013 we'll struggle to see the next TV deal. And surely, surely, they couldn't survive images of Mark Williams, Dean Brogan and Chad Cornes cockahoop over an upset Giants win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should be more competative for the next 3 weeks playing teams at our end of the table. Playing the top 4 teams in a row was always going to end in tears.

Hoping for a better crowd for Sheedys 1000th. Last weeks was the first time I have been really disappointed with the turnout but I guess there were a number of factors at play there, the weather was freezing, the prospect of another flogging, the poor timeslot, day 1 of the olympics. Plus something that I haven,t seen too much about is the Swans emergence as a premiership contenter. the timing could not have been worse to get some fans to jump ship or to attract new fans to the club. Not that I am upset at the Swans success, I still cheer for them too.

No offense to the award winners of last weeks promotion but the whole idea was laughable IMO, medals presented at a football game for doing your job, really, I know it was related to one of our valued sponsers but handing out safety vests that were 10 sizes to big for the kids who were the most likely to wear them, surely we can do better than that.

Be interesting to see if we come out of the past 5 weeks harder and better than ever... or completely exhausted.

Well who is there fresh? There are a lot of names hovering on the edge, a couple of certain starters, you'd hope, and a some that are due that have been playing.

You know what? So am I.

If Matthew Primus and Peter Rohde are at the club in 2013 we'll struggle to see the next TV deal. And surely, surely, they couldn't survive images of Mark Williams, Dean Brogan and Chad Cornes cockahoop over an upset Giants win.

Which is precisely why they will play their best game in a month. They'll be desperate to not only not loose to the Giants but doubly so with all that ex-club angst thrown in.

This one could get ugly too. But at home for an unprecedented two weeks in a row I'm hoping we'll come out on the harder for longer model of play.

You guys have got a few fresh, haven't you?

Patton hasn't played much recently, Coniglio should be good and Shiel is due back this week?

A few others were just re-introduced last week. I think that'd help with their freshness?
Shiel and Coniglio would be big ins and should certainly come in fresh, assuming that they'll be over their injuries if they're named to play. I'd love to see Shiel, Coniglio, Greene and Treloar all fit and firing on the weekend.

Patton I'd have question marks over, he had the week off against Freo and has been subbed 3 times for the purposes of rest, but he does seem to be limited by the lack of a proper pre-season. It looked like he was icing the knee under a towel after being subbed out against the Pies.

Per the injury update, Coniglio and Cornes will be back. Tests for Mohr and Tyson. Shiel still 2 weeks away.

GWS Giants
B: Adam Kennedy, Sam Frost, Curtly Hampton
HB: Tomas Bugg, Phil Davis, Matthew Buntine
C: Stephen Coniglio, Adam Treloar, WIlliam Hoskin-Elliott
HF: Chad Cornes, Jeremy Cameron, Toby Greene
F: Devon Smith, Jonathon Patton, Taylor Adams
Foll: Dean Brogan, Callan Ward, Tom Scully
I/C: Jonathan Giles, Anthony Miles, Jacob Townsend, Luke Power
Emg: Israel Folau, Jack Hombsch, Rhys Palmer

In: Stephen Coniglio, Matthew Buntine, Dean Brogan, Chad Cornes, Adam Kennedy
Out: Josh Bruce, Shaun Edwards, Israel Folau, Rhys Palmer, Nick Haynes

Port Adelaide
B: Paul Stewart, Alipate Carlile, Tom Logan
HB: Thomas Jonas, Jackson Trengove, Domenic Cassisi
C: Kane Cornes, Hamish Hartlett, Bradley Ebert
HF: Andrew Moore, Justin Westhoff, Danyle Pearce
F: Brett Ebert, Jay Schulz, Daniel Stewart
Foll: Matthew Lobbe, Travis Boak, Matthew Broadbent
I/C: Matt Thomas, Aaron Young, Chad Wingard, John McCarthy
Emg: Ben Jacobs, Nathan Blee, Darren Pfeiffer

In: Hamish Hartlett, Jay Schulz
Out: Troy Chaplin (Knee), Darren Pfeiffer
Milestones: Danyle Pearce - 150 games

Outs basically look like rotations. Some solid ins there and it's good to see Buntine getting another run.

Still no Mohr after being 'test' for two weeks, having said that he might be in the twos after a few weeks out. Hopefully Tyson will be in for UWS too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back