Scandal Racist fan throws banana at Eddie Betts

Remove this Banner Ad

Living with parents as an adult can be much more difficult and demanding than living away, especially with aged folks. Children who do that deserve some recognition I reckon.

Yeah, although mine have long passed, I couldn't imagine living with them. Heck, the few times the in-laws visit a few times a year is enough! I like them and all, but, no...

Yeah, although mine have long passed, I couldn't imagine living with them. Heck, the few times the in-laws visit a few times a year is enough! I like them and all, but, no...
In laws...this will offend some, but its true...one of the reasons that clinched it for me to marry my current partner was that the mother had passed some years earlier. It was the clincher. I know, im a bastard. There you go.

I don't like what she did at all

But because he's an afl superstar it gets all this attention .....I see racism daily ....every time I drive out the communities to help aboriginal people through substance use issues

I'm not saying what happened was good or condone it ...it was one act in one place at one time

This stuff goes everyday in streets of Australia and I think we also need to keep what happened in some kind of perspective ....that's all I'm saying

I don't like what happened ...? Betts will have the best support around him through mentors, counsellors, coaches and team mates

Think about the 16 year old kid who can't get a job at maccas becaise he's black and has to go home to meth using parents .....what support is there for that kid ...no news cameras or big story

They often suicide .....aboriginal people are ten times at more Likely to die of suicide .....much of it because of racism

Is betts at risk this week ....?

Like I said it was wrong and poor but dead set have a look out your window or in your street at the racism levels in this country

The racism that occurred at the game was minor compared to what I see everyday and hey if it somehow it helps that kid then hey that's a good thing

However I'm always sceptical how a high profile cases are portrayed ...and the trickle down effect.

Let's hope it leads to broader education on racism and stronger laws

By the way I challenged the owner of maccas .....over a coffee and we discussed the young boys story with him

He got the job ...He's now been there 8 months ...his parents got into rehab and are clean

My way of tackling racism is through building a relationship with the person who did it and educate them which I'm really bad what port Adelaide did also ...education not shaming is the way forward

Imagine of I had rung the local paper and exsposed the story .......he would have never employed any aboriginal,boys going forward

This young aboriginal boy had a certificate 2 in hospitality and couldn't get a job at maccas because his parents had a bad reputation.

I challenge racism every day in my job but I do it in non confrontational way that educates
So in a high profile case of a racist behaviour (you acknowledged it was), you don't want such a response? This is exactly the best platform to educate, turning a blind eye and having people say "oh it's only trivial" is more likely to be seen as condoning racist behaviour, and less likely to educate those who partake, that society won't tolerate it.

You seem to fail to understand that society can do BOTH. It's not one or the other, it's not either make an example in a high profile racist act, or stop racism in high practices. It should be both.

It would have been ridiculously stupid for the police/port/the afl to come out and say "hey everyone, we know it looks bad, but she just made a mistake, what she did was trivial, we aren't going to take it any further".

You talk about trickle down effect, how is that going to look to the kid getting racial insults at school, an afl player gets racially insulted and nothing is done, what hope does he have?

And i'd dare suggest if you went to the local paper huge action would be taken, what kind of idiot would continue racist hiring practices, when they've been shown in the media to partake in it? No company would let him manage if he continued (mcdonalds head office would've taken major action if you'd done this, doubt they're going to like headlines claiming they're racist)

And what about the next racist bloke who tells you to mind your own business when you try? Not every situation allows for non-confrontation.

You seem to want to view things in black and white.

[
[

Well done Sherlock, still chasing the Hound of the Baskervilles?
You've made some great contributions to the thread. Noone should call out racism, because we all have made mistakes (paraphrase).

So in a high profile case of a racist behaviour (you acknowledged it was), you don't want such a response? This is exactly the best platform to educate, turning a blind eye and having people say "oh it's only trivial" is more likely to be seen as condoning racist behaviour, and less likely to educate those who partake, that society won't tolerate it.

You seem to fail to understand that society can do BOTH. It's not one or the other, it's not either make an example in a high profile racist act, or stop racism in high practices. It should be both.

It would have been ridiculously stupid for the police/port/the afl to come out and say "hey everyone, we know it looks bad, but she just made a mistake, what she did was trivial, we aren't going to take it any further".

You talk about trickle down effect, how is that going to look to the kid getting racial insults at school, an afl player gets racially insulted and nothing is done, what hope does he have?

And i'd dare suggest if you went to the local paper huge action would be taken, what kind of idiot would continue racist hiring practices, when they've been shown in the media to partake in it? No company would let him manage if he continued (mcdonalds head office would've taken major action if you'd done this, doubt they're going to like headlines claiming they're racist)

And what about the next racist bloke who tells you to mind your own business when you try? Not every situation allows for non-confrontation.

You seem to want to view things in black and white.

You've made some great contributions to the thread. Noone should call out racism, because we all have made mistakes (paraphrase).
the problem that you and many other people seem to have is that you just want to punish the behavior. you're not giving any thought as to why people behave the way they do. it's like a game of whack a mole lol you want to eradicate the moles by continually whacking them without wondering why they keep popping back up. it's that same level of thinking that says if we continue locking up drug dealers we will rid society of drugs.

the problem that you and many other people seem to have is that you just want to punish the behavior. you're not giving any thought as to why people behave the way they do. it's like a game of whack a mole lol you want to eradicate the moles by continually whacking them without wondering why they keep popping back up. it's that same level of thinking that says if we continue locking up drug dealers we will rid society of drugs.
Well that's a stupid assumption based on my quotes. I've acknowledged education is needed, but a strong public stance of non-acceptance is also needed. You can't just educate, without the response, it doesn't work.
I wanted her banned for throwing an object at a player alone, add in the racial element and there's two reasons to ban her.

So you think dealing drugs should not be a crime? :huh:

Well that's a stupid assumption based on my quotes. I've acknowledged education is needed, but a strong public stance of non-acceptance is also needed. You can't just educate, without the response, it doesn't work.
I wanted her banned for throwing an object at a player alone, add in the racial element and there's two reasons to ban her.

So you think dealing drugs should not be a crime? :huh:
strong stance publicly is fine but she doesn't need to be named and shamed. that doesn't make the situation any better for anyone.

don't really want to derail the thread but if you legalized and regulated certain drugs you'd a) tax revenue on them, b) keep them safer, c) people with problems would seek help because it wouldn't have social stigma, d) remove organized criminal element, e) keep people out of jail (which cost taxpayer 100k a year per prisoner), f) save on all the welfare and social problems that people convicted face when they get out that inevitably causes them to re offend, g) have better access to users to access information on what causes them to use drugs in the first place and h) free up the police to pursue legitimately dangerous people. the way we've handled drugs in the 20th and 21st century or 'war on drugs' is nothing short of the biggest failure in the history of humanity. but i digress....

strong stance publicly is fine but she doesn't need to be named and shamed. that doesn't make the situation any better for anyone.

don't really want to derail the thread but if you legalized and regulated certain drugs you'd a) tax revenue on them, b) keep them safer, c) people with problems would seek help because it wouldn't have social stigma, d) remove organized criminal element, e) keep people out of jail (which cost taxpayer 100k a year per prisoner), f) save on all the welfare and social problems that people convicted face when they get out that inevitably causes them to re offend, g) have better access to users to access information on what causes them to use drugs in the first place and h) free up the police to pursue legitimately dangerous people. the way we've handled drugs in the 20th and 21st century or 'war on drugs' is nothing short of the biggest failure in the history of humanity. but i digress....
She shouldn't be named, but if you're going to do something like that at a public event, then you deserve any public shame.

That's not what I was referring to. I agree that drugs should be legalised and regulated, but they're not. You made a strange comparison about what you feel are my beliefs.

If we lived in Singapore or the Phillipines then all good and well with your zero tolerance approach, but unfortunately or fortunately we live in Australia which is the land of a thousand chances.
Zero tolerance implies jail or worse. This woman should be banned from attending football games. Let's keep it in perspective.

If you want to invoke the Philippines, you should consider what constitutes 'zero tolerance' under their new president.

We raise our kids telling them and knowing there is pretty much nothing they can do that will get them in trouble, you will get chance after chance to sort stuff out. It is not the Australian way to throw the kitchen sink at her.
I don't really know what that means.

Is a ban from attending games 'throwing the kitchen sink'?

Nice digression!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be pretty funny if all of the crows players this week got together and decided to throw some bananas into the crowd.

you have a fairly low threshold for humour. something funny would be louis ck, ricky gervais and larry david each doing a stand up set before the game.

im not 'offended' by it, and i don't find it 'inappropriate'... it just wouldnt be funny.

Incident was pretty well handled by all concerned, but some aren't happy with their pound of flesh. They want the lot - fishguts and scales.

Incident was pretty well handled by all concerned, but some aren't happy with their pound of flesh. They want the lot - fishguts and scales.
I have already agreed it's been handled sufficiently, not sure why you're quoting me with the above.

Not saying what you said is wrong mate but some countries don't have the epidemic drug problems we have because they have seriously harsh punishment laws like Singapore and Phillipines. Do we have it right or do they?
I am not for legalisation and regulating but I do agree they are not addressing the issue out there.

You've taken issue with several posters who haven't been as strident as yourself.
I took issues with posters who said the AFL shouldnt have been involved...
And one who said noone should comment because we all do things wrong.

you have a fairly low threshold for humour. something funny would be louis ck, ricky gervais and larry david each doing a stand up set before the game.

im not 'offended' by it, and i don't find it 'inappropriate'... it just wouldnt be funny.

As funny as Essendon fans dressing up as Mexicans. Then again if Eddie were a bomber their fans would dress up as bananas.

I took issues with posters who said the AFL shouldnt have been involved...
And one who said noone should comment because we all do things wrong.

You've been fairly aggressive but OK, perhaps I shouldn't have quoted you in this instance. However you did imply that one poster who has spoken at length in opposition to racism was in cahoots with the woman and was effectively defending the action.

You've been fairly aggressive but OK, perhaps I shouldn't have quoted you in this instance. However you did imply that one poster who has spoken at length in opposition to racism was in cahoots with the woman and was effectively defending the action.
I suggested he may know her, since he was very impassioned, despite admitting what she did was racist behaviour, that people see it as trivial and don't talk about it.

Aggressive? I suggest you're projecting a tone that isn't there

It's trivial compared the racism on the streets of Australia every day
Go into supermarket and watch staff follow aboriginal people around the shops ...thinking they will steal.
Or the young aboriginal boy not getting a job because he's black
I am intimately and acutely aware of these examples.
I just dont think classifying throwing a banana at an Aboriginal person and referring to him as a monkey is trivial in any respects.
In my opinion it is no better or worse than the other incidents you mention, just less common.

Last edited:
I suggested he may know her, since he was very impassioned, despite admitting what she did was racist behaviour, that people see it as trivial and don't talk about it.

Aggressive? I suggest you're projecting a tone that isn't there

Your posting doesn't read as tactful as it might, but fair enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back