Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were pretty much chased out of the house to occupy ourselves.
Me too. Parents hated me so I was enrolled into every sporting club within 20 kilometres, anything to get me out of the house really. I ran, chased, tackled, jumped, bounced balls, threw objects, any game ever invented that involved a bat, ball, rope, net, tyre, whatever it was. Did them all.

I've been comfort eating ever since. Sport's s**t I hate it (afl aside).

Larger population would improve that though. A good amount of sporting ability is innate - so if you have fifty times the population you have 50 times the likelihood of finding a Gary Ablett etc. The rest of it is system driven / training etc but a lot of the system assets in sport training in the USA like college sport programs are unachievable in Australia because our population size doesn’t support the structure.

America is exceptional (though I could include Japan in here as well), in that they are one of the few places in the world where sport peaks at university. Europe, South America and Australia are all largely based around clubs. As a result there is a larger intake of athletes on a organised pathway and longer term participation in these countries than America.

In the US the motivation of college scholarship is, by and large, the motivation for serious participation in sports. You have a large number of athletes who are effectively finished at 21/22 and will never play again. If you compare to an AFL system, guys at 20-21 are just starting to really develop.

Australia was ahead of the curve for a long time as a result of the AIS, especially the sports science department, however the number of admin staff at the AIS now vastly outnumber the athletes and coaches. The AIS tour as a kid was a great experience, now it is walking around and looking at gyms where people used to train.

The current funding model for Olympic sports is geared around "easy" medals, smaller participation sports with a small number of staff and athletes required.

Think of it this way, if footy was a worldwide sport (once then inherent advantage of growing up playing the game is gone) where would we rank in the world? The government would not want to fund a sport that needs 25+ high level athletes to have a competitive team when they can fund a swimmer, a shooter and a sailor to win six medals instead of one.

I'm not sure what my point is, but the topic is near and dear to my heart

America is exceptional (though I could include Japan in here as well), in that they are one of the few places in the world where sport peaks at university. Europe, South America and Australia are all largely based around clubs. As a result there is a larger intake of athletes on a organised pathway and longer term participation in these countries than America.

In the US the motivation of college scholarship is, by and large, the motivation for serious participation in sports. You have a large number of athletes who are effectively finished at 21/22 and will never play again. If you compare to an AFL system, guys at 20-21 are just starting to really develop.

Australia was ahead of the curve for a long time as a result of the AIS, especially the sports science department, however the number of admin staff at the AIS now vastly outnumber the athletes and coaches. The AIS tour as a kid was a great experience, now it is walking around and looking at gyms where people used to train.

The current funding model for Olympic sports is geared around "easy" medals, smaller participation sports with a small number of staff and athletes required.

Think of it this way, if footy was a worldwide sport (once then inherent advantage of growing up playing the game is gone) where would we rank in the world? The government would not want to fund a sport that needs 25+ high level athletes to have a competitive team when they can fund a swimmer, a shooter and a sailor to win six medals instead of one.

I'm not sure what my point is, but the topic is near and dear to my heart
The AIS was a great idea that has never really worked.

The US system works because of so much private money in their system - college programs are sponsored by private donations from huge money corporations, not government. I worked in US for a while as a musician and the arts are the same - private benefactors. I’m not sure what my point is either. Probably that the Australian population size and funding system probably means that while we perform well at sport (and classical music, for that matter) we’re not a competitor more broadly in any real sense. The advantages of being in Australia in terms of lifestyle, public health, beautiful country and an abundance of great food is a payoff though

The AIS was a great idea that has never really worked.

The US system works because of so much private money in their system - college programs are sponsored by private donations from huge money corporations, not government. I worked in US for a while as a musician and the arts are the same - private benefactors. I’m not sure what my point is either. Probably that the Australian population size and funding system probably means that while we perform well at sport (and classical music, for that matter) we’re not a competitor more broadly in any real sense. The advantages of being in Australia in terms of lifestyle, public health, beautiful country and an abundance of great food is a payoff though
don't the AIS steer clear of the American model because of the potential to be conflicted because of private benefactors?

don't the AIS steer clear of the American model because of the potential to be conflicted because of private benefactors?
They do. Which is good in theory but the reality is that our govt is never going to be able to fund sports in the manner that those vast corporations can power American sports

They do. Which is good in theory but the reality is that our govt is never going to be able to fund sports in the manner that those vast corporations can power American sports

The notable change from the 2000's is that all programs at the AIS used to be AIS Programs but run by their respective sports, whereas in the mid 2010's the decision was made to allow sports to become independent programs. So nobody was an AIS program, but an AIS tenant. That was meant to allow sports to find corporate money to help boost their funding, which for the better part, never came.

The result was most sports found cheaper/more suitable options than being in Canberra and quite a few bungled their budgets after being spoon fed for so long. At one point an insolvency expert was on staff for the ASC because of the frequency of national federations mismanaging finances.

This has been doing my head in

There is a new food place near me called Alabama Wings. We had them at work, they were absolutely awesome and we had them delivered through Uber Eats. So a week goes past and I get a craving for these wings and their dipping sauces but I figure I'll drive from my place and pick them up. I live pretty close to my work.

They have a Instagram page, a website and Facebook page. All of them look pretty professionally done too. I struggle to find the address but after a bit of a search I find it. It is a new shopping/retail kind of area. I drive, park and walk to the shop. Its a ******* Noodle Box and has actually been here for 12-18 months. So after dealing with this for a few weeks I just figure that maybe the address has the wrong shop number and they haven't opened yet due to covid. Then a guy at work orders Korean Fried Chicken through Uber Eats in the same shopping precinct. Again awesome chicken, again the same ******* shop address. Again a few weeks pass and restrictions are eased and the shops still don't physically exist.

I've now seen today that both chicken places are exclusive to Uber Eats. Which I get for deliveries but the shop fronts for these businesses do not exist unless possibly the Noodle Box is running three different businesses out of a little wok shop. Cooking fried wings there would be a bit of a give away you would have thought but as of yet I have not seen this

Crazy, imagine what he was thinking, if he was capable of thinking, in that moment, crikey

When you see the way Senna died and then you see this it's unbelievable. To see him appearing from the flames like a Terminator

Some good info about the crash and equipment/ technology that saved his life...

This has been doing my head in...
They're called ghost restaurants. Pretty clever...

Edit: No idea why there's a Noodlebox address though, that's just odd.

This has been doing my head in

There is a new food place near me called Alabama Wings. We had them at work, they were absolutely awesome and we had them delivered through Uber Eats. So a week goes past and I get a craving for these wings and their dipping sauces but I figure I'll drive from my place and pick them up. I live pretty close to my work.

They have a Instagram page, a website and Facebook page. All of them look pretty professionally done too. I struggle to find the address but after a bit of a search I find it. It is a new shopping/retail kind of area. I drive, park and walk to the shop. Its a ******* Noodle Box and has actually been here for 12-18 months. So after dealing with this for a few weeks I just figure that maybe the address has the wrong shop number and they haven't opened yet due to covid. Then a guy at work orders Korean Fried Chicken through Uber Eats in the same shopping precinct. Again awesome chicken, again the same ******* shop address. Again a few weeks pass and restrictions are eased and the shops still don't physically exist.

I've now seen today that both chicken places are exclusive to Uber Eats. Which I get for deliveries but the shop fronts for these businesses do not exist unless possibly the Noodle Box is running three different businesses out of a little wok shop. Cooking fried wings there would be a bit of a give away you would have thought but as of yet I have not seen this
thats exactly what they do man. we have the same over here but all 3 are run out of a ******* BP petrol station. there's also burger joints that are running out of the coffee club. think its burgers with bite and might be another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats exactly what they do man. we have the same over here but all 3 are run out of a ******* BP petrol station. there's also burger joints that are running out of the coffee club. think its burgers with bite and might be another.
* there you go.

Turns out it is a lot more common than I thought

They're called ghost restaurants. Pretty clever...

Edit: No idea why there's a Noodlebox address though, that's just odd.

Yeah because the complex is rather new say 18 months old new stores are just opening so I thought that might be the case with this joint, but that seems unlikely.

Never heard of ghost restaurants before, interesting

Was it Supreme Leader? My sister used to work in marketing at Noodle Box and can confirm they run that out of their kitchens
yep one of theme is called Supreme Leader Korean fried chicken

The other one is Alabama wings

I wonder why they don't just sell them over the counter as well as the chicken is a *load better than their noodles

I guess they don't want to ruin or confuse their "brand" of noodles with all the fried chicken stuff.

Also get the benefit of appearing like a specialty joint that focuses on one thing: wings, korean fried chicken. Also the novelty factor of people wanting to try something new and they can continue to shift with the food trends as they come and go. Bang up some shmick looking marketing and bobs your uncle.

Boggles the mind that noodle box is popular at all, but apparently it does well in QLD, WA, SA.

When you see the way Senna died and then you see this it's unbelievable. To see him appearing from the flames like a Terminator

Some good info about the crash and equipment/ technology that saved his life...

That's really interesting stuff, hits a wall at 240kmh, car breaks in half, bursts into flames, even his visor melted and he still walked away... is amazing all the technology going on there

That's really interesting stuff, hits a wall at 240kmh, car breaks in half, bursts into flames, even his visor melted and he still walked away... is amazing all the technology going on there
I think he credited the halo technology and the fast trackside response for saving his life. That halo apparently has helped saved lives and reduce injuries. I'm pretty sure that when they crash, the bar around them doesn't bend in that much, leaving a hole to exit out the top like Grosjean did.

I think he credited the halo technology and the fast trackside response for saving his life. That halo apparently has helped saved lives and reduce injuries. I'm pretty sure that when they crash, the bar around them doesn't bend in that much, leaving a hole to exit out the top like Grosjean did.

He would have been lucky not to be decapitated with out it. Even with a helmet on.

That concussion substitute debacle in the cricket is why the whole premise is ****ed. You either have a substitute for any injury or for none.
Can't have a bloke get one on the helmet being allowed to be subbed out, then next ball a bloke gets one and breaks his wrist and bad luck he's out of the game.

Also specifically for cricket how the * so you judge like for like?

If your bowler gets concussed in the field in the 49th over and your batting second, are you taking Glenn McGrath or Mitchell Johnson.

Is Agar an all rounder if he bats at 6? What if he comes in at 8? So ******* stupid.

Also specifically for cricket how the fu** so you judge like for like?

If your bowler gets concussed in the field in the 49th over and your batting second, are you taking Glenn McGrath or Mitchell Johnson.

Is Agar an all rounder if he bats at 6? What if he comes in at 8? So ******* stupid.

it is stupid. Wouldn’t mind if they tried having squads of like 25 for T20. Pick your 11 best batsmen, 11 best bowlers/fielders plus subs. Anyone can be substituted whenever, but if you sub on for a bowler who has already bowled 2 overs you can only bowl 2 etc.
It’s already a bastardised version of cricket, might as well make it completely ridiculous!

it is stupid. Wouldn’t mind if they tried having squads of like 25 for T20. Pick your 11 best batsmen, 11 best bowlers/fielders plus subs. Anyone can be substituted whenever, but if you sub on for a bowler who has already bowled 2 overs you can only bowl 2 etc.
It’s already a bastardised version of cricket, might as well make it completely ridiculous!
Haha I've always thought about that aswell, only have batters bat and then pick a whole squad of bowlers to bowl. Imagine how nuts the batting would be if you had Maxwell at 11 haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back