Autopsy Rd 7 Big loss but some promising signs

Should have sprayed him.

It wreaks of this ‘everyone gets a ribbon’ even if you finished last.

You’re playing with the big boys now, so cop your spray and learn from it.

Do you think Taylor Walker would have pointed to where to kick it??

When playing with half a team of <21's, losing every week, in this generation of youth, the spray isn't going to work and is probably going to be counter productive in terms of putting players back into their shell afraid of making aggressive errors.

Should have sprayed him.

If you stuffed up something at your work would you respond better to a bollocking in front of all your co-workers or a quiet word explaining what you should have done?

Which option would you have preferred when you were 18?

Sprays get people to do things to spite you, instruction gets people to do things because they want to.

I’m not sure how this works.
People throw the term give him a pre season stuff. I accept that to developing bodies, but if you ha e a developed body akreadyand an is so called healed then why should it take a preseason?
Wouldn’t that be during season with trying to get back to fitness?
For example a fit developed players injury free isn’t getting bigger and fitter during the season to end up a beast and then lose it all in 6 weeks after season to start again and think wow needed that preseason I was in such bad shape.
So I don’t accept the Kennedy and preseason stuff
He has the body, apparently fit cause he gets selected, so bloody train hard to get the km’s into body and get on with it

I think you actually agree with the OP but missed it. They said Kennedy will look good after another pre-season. You argue that he has to train hard and get km's into the body. If he does that between know and next season, I imagine you'll both be right :)

I'm also not sure that we have the same definition of developing bodies and developed. I don't agree that Kennedy is developed. He is the same age as David Cunningham and they are both still developing, IMO. I think the other point we have to acknowledge, whether we like it or not, is that he has been injury prone throughout the start of his career and hasn't had the same opportunity to develop. He might be a little behind there, due to all the rehab and lack of matches. He didn't get a full pre-season this year either after having shoulder surgery.

I think it's too early for me to tell but I hope he can be that inside bull that can help ease the burden and reliance we have on Cripper.

"Recruit Matthew Kennedy is on a special program after having post-season shoulder surgery." January 3, 2018 12:34 PM http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-03/preseason-update

Really happy with dow wow's game .his confidence will go through the roof imo .so clean and quick and what a great snag .plenty more were that came from .
Now that he's broken the ice with that one, I imagine he'll play with a little more confidence around goal. He was probably going into games sweating on that first goal. Will be elite for us.

no question

I think you actually agree with the OP but missed it. They said Kennedy will look good after another pre-season. You argue that he has to train hard and get km's into the body. If he does that between know and next season, I imagine you'll both be right :)

I'm also not sure that we have the same definition of developing bodies and developed. I don't agree that Kennedy is developed. He is the same age as David Cunningham and they are both still developing, IMO. I think the other point we have to acknowledge, whether we like it or not, is that he has been injury prone throughout the start of his career and hasn't had the same opportunity to develop. He might be a little behind there, due to all the rehab and lack of matches. He didn't get a full pre-season this year either after having shoulder surgery.

I think it's too early for me to tell but I hope he can be that inside bull that can help ease the burden and reliance we have on Cripper.

"Recruit Matthew Kennedy is on a special program after having post-season shoulder surgery." January 3, 2018 12:34 PM http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-01-03/preseason-update
nice work - more please :thumbsu:

When playing with half a team of <21's, losing every week, in this generation of youth, the spray isn't going to work and is probably going to be counter productive in terms of putting players back into their shell afraid of making aggressive errors.

Yep, everyone gets a ribbon...

Yes. I feel he's far to indecisive. There was twice he was inside 50 and could've had a shot but couldn't decide between passing or shooting and ended up making a poor pass caused by prior indecision. He does it upfield as well. It's a mental issue, not skill, so I'm not too concerned. Just needs to back his first instinct more.
Needs to take the game on and not be afraid of making mistakes/getting caught. Playing it too safe.

Should have sprayed him.

It really doesn't wreak of that at all. TBH, I couldn't care what Taylor Walker would of done. He isn't playing with half a team of 1st and 2nd year kids with next to no experience. He did the correct thing with LOB, and he did the correct thing in spraying Daisy last week for his stupid over hit banana kick.

breakout game just around the corner, brissie.....

I really feel for this guy, above VFL level but not sure he suits AFL level either at a rebuilding team like us. I actually think he would perform better in a better team than ours.

That's a weird headline and there isn't a team in the league that isn't depleted outside of maybe Richmond.

Plus
Hawks
Port
Saints

Some have maybe 4 of starting 22 out - but they don't have 8-10 out!!

If you stuffed up something at your work would you respond better to a bollocking in front of all your co-workers or a quiet word explaining what you should have done?

Which option would you have preferred when you were 18?

Sprays get people to do things to spite you, instruction gets people to do things because they want to.

This is not work...

We have to accelerate the learning as we don’t have the time to play 20 reserves games and get an arm pit around them...

Top end talent are not picked because they are fragile or sooks. They are picked because they have talent and strong mind set.

To think these ‘kids’ might not like getting a spray is the exact reason these same ‘kids’ don’t improve and get lost in the system...

We have enough introverts in our side and I sick to death of this attitude that we should put an arm around them.

Have you seen any of the Hodgy sprays for the ‘kids’ this year?? They are required so the listen and learn...

Trust me when I say that Paddy has had a couple of ripper sprays on the field this year and it’s improved him out of site...

It’s as simple as ‘wake the * up, this is not junior footy’, that’s not just from our own team either!

as long as they are not delivered floggard style - and believe me you have to pick your target - not every player responds to a blister - some shrink

These kids we picked have an arrogance about them that you can’t teach. It’s a deliberate decision by the club as it shows the player has pride in their own ability.

Sprays feed arrogance, which creates perfection...

If The Navy Blues are gonna Man-Up and be awesome ... they need to at least look the part - those outfits are the worst I've ever seen on a Footballer.
Who comes up with that garbage? They looked ridiculous. If you were invited to a Pajama Party - that's what you'd wear ... shocker!

Looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the indigenous round this year.

I loved the "one off" heritage outfit last year - would have bought one but was away at the time.

Needs to take the game on and not be afraid of making mistakes/getting caught. Playing it too safe.
Yes, I agree. I don't recall him playing that way last week, he seems to be playing well within himself. Needs some help expressing his creative abilities, though I'm not entirely sure of how to do that.

I reckon the only thing Daniher has on Harry is a bigger leap...he's taken some pretty big speccies. Haven't seen Harry do that.

But i reckon Harry will be a better player...biggest area atm looks like goal kicking accuracy but i reckon also attitude...Daniher is being blasted by Bombers posters for being too casual in his approach and laughing even after a loss.

It's easy to laugh when you're playing s**t football and still being paid $16,000 per week (or $36000 per game/$303 per minute) - ******* hilarious!!!!!

Should have sprayed him.

I think our leaders as a collective do an excellent job. Our young players need to be educated in an effective way the last thing we want is for them to get a public flogging and then go into their shells. I think what cas did was very appropriate. I hope none of our future leaders turn out to be anything like walker.