Repeating the Rough, Buddy, Lewis Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It is, that's why I've always thought that Hawthorn would start to fall away after the 14 season but their veterans have endured better than Geelong's and as I mentioned in my last post, have recruited extremely well.

You look at the output Hawthorn are getting from their class of '01 and what Geelong is getting, with only Bartel left.

You think about North through the 90s. They probably should have had more than their 2 flags but played in something like 7 prelims in a row. What did they have that both Hawthorn and Geelong have had in the last decade? A huge group of players that all came through together, via the u/19s that we had at the time. Probably helped that their u/19 coach would end up coaching them. I always remember the North u/19s being a powerhouse under Pagan.

Would have helped if everyone wasn't cheating with salary cap rorts.

Ironic after 10yrs of THAT draft,We finally nailed it with our Draft of 2014 for what we should have 10yrs earlier IMO.
Ellis,Drumond,Butler,Short.McKenzie & Castanga.
Amazing the difference when you put $$$$$$,s into the football dept.
Hmmm, who, who, what, who, lasagna what? Did I miss something.

Obviously, it's complete guess work at this stage, but I reckon Carlton have made a great start to their rebuild this year. Two good talls, a third forward and a pack mid in their first 4 picks. If they can develop these kids, and that's the big challenge and most important part, they could hav just set themselves up perfectly

Blues drafting this year needs time to see if we got lucky or unlucky
Sos and Bolton appear to have recruited talls and reports coming out that 2016 draft is a midfielders draft so going to stuck up on mids in 2016

Blues seem to have gone extremely hard on building a spine for our forward line.
Harry McKay CHF
Charlie Curnow HF
Jack Silvagni FF
Look like will be our forwards for next 10 years and possibly Jayden Foster if he shows enough over next 2 years

I would have thought that the Rough, Buddy, Lewis draft was an inferior repeat of the Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly draft. :D
Or the 99 draft that netted Corey, Chapman, Ling & Enright

Nah all the Carlton draftees are guaranteed guns. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

I'm just waiting for a new 'chosen ones' poster to go up for sale

While not at the same level as some other drafts, Collingwood did well to fill out it's premiership list in the '06 draft:

Ben Reid - pick 8
Nathan Brown - pick 10
Chris Dawes - pick 28
Tyson Goldsack - pick 63
Sharrod Wellingham - rookie draft pick 10
Brent Macaffer - rookie draft pick 26

Picking up 6 premiership players isn't a bad return. 2 KPD's, 1 KPF and 3 players who would turn out to be very good 16-22 ranked players at the time.

I would have thought that the Rough, Buddy, Lewis draft was an inferior repeat of the Ablett, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly draft. :D

Geelong's 1999 draft never really gets talked about much compared to the 2001 draft which was much publicised but they essentially nailed the 1999 draft which has been the cornerstone to their success during this era.

Joel Corey (pick 8)
Paul Chapman (pick 31)
Cameron Ling (pick 38)
Corey Enright (pick 47)

1990 afl draft west coast eagles.
Peter Matera
Tony Evans
Brett Heady
Ashley Mcintosh
Dean Kemp.

5 players, 1 draft who are all in our best 22 of all time. Phil Narkle and Ryan Turnbull in the same draft year also pretty handy additions.

Ironic after 10yrs of THAT draft,We finally nailed it with our Draft of 2014 for what we should have 10yrs earlier IMO.
Ellis,Drumond,Butler,Short.McKenzie & Castanga.
Amazing the difference when you put $$$$$$,s into the football dept.

One of these things is not like the other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton stiff not to get a pre-first round priority pick for winning less than 5 games in 2015 like the Hawks did in 2004.
Richmond and the Bulldogs also got a priority pick that year. And Richmond were actually 1st.
Pity they couldn't build on it, like the Hawks did.
It takes more than just a priority pick to win a premiership, or those sides would have won one as well.

Frm my table, its clear the 2004 draft built on the 2001 for hawthorn.

Hawks may not have done as well as the cats from 2001 overall, but if you add in lake and bigboy, they aced it too
You add in McEvoy who was drafted in 2007 then the Hawks ace the 2001 draft?

1990 afl draft west coast eagles.
Peter Matera
Tony Evans
Brett Heady
Ashley Mcintosh
Dean Kemp.

5 players, 1 draft who are all in our best 22 of all time. Phil Narkle and Ryan Turnbull in the same draft year also pretty handy additions.

Doesn't count. No other Club had the opportunity to draft these players. From memory Matera may have been technically draftable but had made it very clear that if drafted outside WA he would not go = wasted draft pick. The others were quarantined by the draft concessions. No other Club was permitted to touch them.

In fact, despite the revisionist version now touted in the West, the Eagles first GF team contained 15 players who were not available to be drafted by any other Club. The second one was 16 players.

Obviously Hawks and Cats nailed some drafts.

7 out of the last 9 flags have been won by these 2 teams. 8 out of the past 9 GFs have featured at least one of them.

There would be a couple teams looking at their successes in drafts over a 3-4 year period recently that would be setting their alarms for 5-6 years from now.

Trick will be keeping them all together long enough to see it work.

Well said.

And I cannot tell you how glad I am to now have a bloke in charge who has actually seen the inside of a club that develops well. No doubt the Hawks nailed two drafts, but I think you'd be hard pressed to argue against the fact that a few other clubs would not have reaped the same rewards as you guys.

Not saying BB is a panacea, but at least he knows what a successful club has to do in this era.

I liked how in a recent interview, BB said something like 'history shows to get high quality AFL tall forwards, you need to be taking them with high draft pick's' which is so true. Hence we went for the likes of McKay and Curnow & the Franklin/Roughead comparison.

Look at the key tall forwards and most of the guns are high draft picks...basically no 'project' tall forwards work out.

Good way to start an argument
But I'll bite
If you add the two drafts together we have hodge mitchell rough buddy lewis we win that

Ok, we'll add the two Geelong ones together then. Corey, Ling, Chapman, Enright, Ablett, Bartel, Johnson and Kelly.

Obviously Hawks and Cats nailed some drafts.

7 out of the last 9 flags have been won by these 2 teams. 8 out of the past 9 GFs have featured at least one of them.

There would be a couple teams looking at their successes in drafts over a 3-4 year period recently that would be setting their alarms for 5-6 years from now.

Trick will be keeping them all together long enough to see it work.

True, but it's only part of the puzzle. You've got to have the environment, development, game plan and coach to make it work too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back