HB Noah Balta, Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli
C Liam Baker, Dion Prestia, Kamdyn McIntosh
HF Daniel Rioli, Jason Castagna, Dan Butler
F Dustin Martin, Tom J. Lynch, Jacob Townsend
FOL Ivan Soldo, Trent Cotchin, Josh Caddy
I/C Sydney Stack, Jack Higgins, Jack Graham, Patrick Naish
EMG Mabior Chol, Maverick Weller, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Connor Menadue

IN: Daniel Rioli, Jacob Townsend, Jack Graham, Patrick Naish
OUT: Brandon Ellis (Injured), Shai Bolton (Omitted), Nathan Broad (Omitted), David Astbury (Injured)
NEW: Patrick Naish

GEELONG CATS
B Zach Tuohy, Jake Kolodjashnij, Mark O'Connor
HB Mark Blicavs, Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart
C Patrick Dangerfield, Tim Kelly, Mitch Duncan
HF Luke Dahlhaus, Esava Ratugolea, Tom Hawkins
F Gary Ablett, Gary Rohan, Jordan Clark
FOL Rhys Stanley, Cameron Guthrie, Joel Selwood
I/C Jack Henry, Gryan Miers, Tom Atkins, Brandan Parfitt
EMG James Parsons, Zac Smith, Lachie Fogarty, Jed Bews

IN: Gary Ablett, Rhys Stanley
OUT: James Parsons (Omitted), Zac Smith (Omitted)

geevrich-rd12-2019.JPG
AFL.com.au:

What it means for Richmond: An upset win over the top team in the competition would send a message that last week's disappointing loss was an aberration. It would also keep the Tigers in the top eight.

What it means for Geelong: The MCG has not recently been a happy hunting ground for Geelong when playing Richmond, and a win against a top-eight side would be a confidence booster ahead of September.

The stat: Richmond lost 20 of 21 matches to Geelong between 2001 and 2017, before breaking the streak in the qualifying final of that year. The Tigers have now won the past three games between the two clubs.

The match-up: David Astbury v Tom Hawkins

Hawkins is traditionally a match-up for Alex Rance, with Astbury looking likely to take the job. The Cat (ranked 33rd overall in the AFL Player Ratings) is in red-hot form, making it a tough task for Astbury (320th).

It’s a big week for: Richmond's midfield

Coach Damien Hardwick said the team was "smacked around" against North Melbourne, losing the contested ball by 22 and tackle count by 17. It's not going to be any easier against the likes of Cats Tim Kelly, Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood.

Big call: In his second week back in the side after a hamstring injury, Trent Cotchin will find his feet and finish with 30 touches.

Prediction: Cats by 23 points

Last edited:
Initially I was thinking Richmond might cause an upset. But with Astbury and Ellis out injured and the strange omission of Broad, I fancy the cats to win by 2-3 goals. Geelong's defence is rock solid, cant see Richmond kicking a winning score. should be a good game all the same.

If there's one team that can upset us during our rich vein of form it's the Tige's. They'll be there in their droves tonight.

Nothing would surprise me in this one. A comfortable Cats win or a Tigers victory. Looking forward to a ripping encounter but I hope it doesn't finish like our 2nd meeting last year. I'd have a heart attack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong have done an incredible job to have the team they do within the salary cap .

Tigers will hack kick into forward 50 to take out cats tall defenders. Tiger defenders will be up against it though. Cats need to match tigers probable intensity to get the win.
And if they don’t bring that intensity, they will get smashed. I’m predicting Hawkins kicking 6 plus.

Anything can happen in a game of football, I still see the names Martin, Cotchin, Grimes and Caddy in your team list.

But I don't see Reiwoldt, Rance, Astbury, Nankervis, Ellis, Lambert, or Short.

Who in Geelong's best 22 is missing? Menegola? Anyone else?

If Geelong lose or even if Richmond get close, it would be a disappointing result for Geelong. They should win by 30+ with the amount of Richmond's spine that is missing.

Our line up too young and thin. If we had a fit Reiwoldt, Astbury, Rance, and Nank id say it would be a 50/50 proposition.

Backline missing Short Ellis Broad too there just hasnt been enough stability down there.

Lambert a loss.

Fielding 6 kids with 10 games or less and another 3 or 4 with less than 50-60.

Our kids to be competative for most of the game is about as much you could hope for. Anything else would be an extraordinary outcome.

Back