Preview Richmond vs Gold Coast. Thursday 1st July 7:20pm @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you overestimate how many disposal we got in our forward 50. Most our entries were bombed inside 50 and instantly rebounded. Hard to get many touches inside 50 when that happens.

Reiwoldt had 4.
Lambert - 3
Aarts - 2
CCJ - 2
Dusty - 2
Bolton - 2

From what I can see he had equal most for our team.

No doubt the crumbing has been non existent. But for one he was never the go to guy for that, he marked it inside 50 as much as he crumbed while guys like Rioli and Butler were close to 100% crumbers.
There is no one in our team crumbing at the moment. Ball comes to ground and is rebounded out. Not sure how much of this is to do with our players, our positioning or our game style.
It's a good point.
I always remember one thing Bucks said, shallow inside 50s hurt on the rebound.
Sometimes an extra handball is needed to spread wider and get a quality, deep inside 50.

Every leading team has looked at our game plan so it's difficult to implement something new.
For example, Melbourne has Lever as the aerial intercept defender, in one game repelling one in four inside 50s, almost triple May's stat.
Crucial for their rebound set up.

We have players over 30 some 34 some 33 32 even our best player is near 31. We have had our run time comes to an end. On top of that clubs have worked the system out so much so Dad's army made us look second rate. If we get the trade right then we may be able to stall the decline but the right decisions have to be made.

Every leading team has looked at our game plan so it's difficult to implement something new.
For example, Melbourne has Lever as the aerial intercept defender, in one game repelling one in four inside 50s, almost triple May's stat.
Crucial for their rebound set up.
This IMO goes a little towards why we have had such an average result against fellow contenders - they have had 4 years now to breakdown our game - pundits have been saying for ages to win the thing you will have to go through The Tigers and fair enough they have really put time/effort into shutting us down.

Coupled with a difficult run with injuries leading to no stability in the squad AND adapting to new rules AND a shorter pre-season due to late finish in 2021 has led us to be playing catch-up most of the year.

It will click for us - but time (and luck) is running out.....

We're talking about him being dropped now, not 6 weeks ago. Thats completely different. He kicked 3 and 1 goals in the 2 weeks before this game.

fu** you have no respect. He was absolutely a positive asset in our 2017 run. How can you be a Richmond supporter and talk such sh*t about a triple premiership player. Theres an argument about how he has not provided enough in the past 2 seasons, but to say hes been a negative is just beyond dumb.

He kicked 26, 26 and 27 goals from 2017 to 2019. 4th most goals for us in 2017, 4th most in 2018, 3rd most in 2019, 4th most in 2020. He sits behind only Jack and Dusty for goals over that 4 year period.

Jack - 181
Dusty - 122
Castagna - 96

But yeh totally a neegative asset for 99% of his games. At 111 games that means hes played literally 1 not complete sh*t game in your eyes. Lmao.

Don't bother arguing with gosha, I think he's a bot.

The difference between Castagna and everyone else is Castagna has been dog sh*t the whole season. At least guys like Aarts have strung together some good patches of form. We’re not exactly going to drop Shai Bolton either, are we?

He did not play a big part in our resurgence. Dustin Martin played a big part in our resurgence. Trent Cotchin played a big part in our resurgence. Jack Riewoldt played a big part in our resurgence. It’s insulting to players who did play a role in our resurgence to be lumped with Jason f***ing Castagna. It was a case of being at the right place at the right time for Castagna. He was kissed on the d*ck.

The whole “he’s in the side because the coaches clearly rate him” argument has worn thin. People tried it with Butler, we got rid of him. They tried it with Rioli, he’s now having to reinvent himself in the twos. They are now trying it with Castagna. You may find this hard to believe, but sometimes the coaches persist with players who aren’t playing well. Crazy I know.

George is incredibly lucky we have traded away all of our small forward depth over the years because Higgins, Butler and even Stengle would be getting a game ahead of him. And I’m not sure if you realise but Butler made the AA squad last season. Wouldn’t say it was the best decision getting rid of him. Even this season despite him being awful (and everyone on this board criticising him), Butler only averages 0.1 goals less per game than Castagna. Higgins has Castagna covered in just about every statistic that matters, despite playing for a vastly inferior side. Stengle matched George for goal averages last season as well and this was while he was playing for one of the worst sides to ever grace the AFL (and was most likely coke gendering every weekend), meanwhile George played for the eventual premiers. So tell me more about how the club got it right by retaining Castagna and chopping the other three from a performance perspective. They all flourished elsewhere while George has stunk it up.

And lol @ finishing around the top 40 in the AFL for kicking goals. Have you seen some of the disgusting names that finished ahead of him in some of those years? Have a look at the lists and get back to me. You’ll probably want to edit that part out of your post because it’s nothing to brag about.

And yeah mate, I’m perfectly aware George has been asked to run around like a headless chook “pressuring” opposition because it’s the only thing he offers (even saying that is generous), but good small forwards can do both.

1625119331132.png

The difference between Castagna and everyone else is Castagna has been dog sh*t the whole season. At least guys like Aarts have strung together some good patches of form. We’re not exactly going to drop Shai Bolton either, are we?

He did not play a big part in our resurgence. Dustin Martin played a big part in our resurgence. Trent Cotchin played a big part in our resurgence. Jack Riewoldt played a big part in our resurgence. It’s insulting to players who did play a role in our resurgence to be lumped with Jason f***ing Castagna. It was a case of being at the right place at the right time for Castagna. He was kissed on the d*ck.

The whole “he’s in the side because the coaches clearly rate him” argument has worn thin. People tried it with Butler, we got rid of him. They tried it with Rioli, he’s now having to reinvent himself in the twos. They are now trying it with Castagna. You may find this hard to believe, but sometimes the coaches persist with players who aren’t playing well. Crazy I know.

George is incredibly lucky we have traded away all of our small forward depth over the years because Higgins, Butler and even Stengle would be getting a game ahead of him. And I’m not sure if you realise but Butler made the AA squad last season. Wouldn’t say it was the best decision getting rid of him. Even this season despite him being awful (and everyone on this board criticising him), Butler only averages 0.1 goals less per game than Castagna. Higgins has Castagna covered in just about every statistic that matters, despite playing for a vastly inferior side. Stengle matched George for goal averages last season as well and this was while he was playing for one of the worst sides to ever grace the AFL (and was most likely coke gendering every weekend), meanwhile George played for the eventual premiers. So tell me more about how the club got it right by retaining Castagna and chopping the other three from a performance perspective. They all flourished elsewhere while George has stunk it up.

And lol @ finishing around the top 40 in the AFL for kicking goals. Have you seen some of the disgusting names that finished ahead of him in some of those years? Have a look at the lists and get back to me. You’ll probably want to edit that part out of your post because it’s nothing to brag about.

And yeah mate, I’m perfectly aware George has been asked to run around like a headless chook “pressuring” opposition because it’s the only thing he offers (even saying that is generous), but good small forwards can do both.
I bet the coach and players would love to drop or delist some of the so called supporters on this site. Talk about over reactions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talking about him being dropped now, not 6 weeks ago. Thats completely different. He kicked 3 and 1 goals in the 2 weeks before this game.

fu** you have no respect. He was absolutely a positive asset in our 2017 run. How can you be a Richmond supporter and talk such sh*t about a triple premiership player. Theres an argument about how he has not provided enough in the past 2 seasons, but to say hes been a negative is just beyond dumb.

He kicked 26, 26 and 27 goals from 2017 to 2019. 4th most goals for us in 2017, 4th most in 2018, 3rd most in 2019, 4th most in 2020. He sits behind only Jack and Dusty for goals over that 4 year period.

Jack - 181
Dusty - 122
Castagna - 96

But yeh totally a neegative asset for 99% of his games. At 111 games that means hes played literally 1 not complete sh*t game in your eyes. Lmao.
I mean he is a small forward. If the balls not in our forward line I would much rather him move up on the wing rather than go touches in our forward 50.

Also 8 of his touches were forward of the square in our half. 10 were forward half, 6 were defensive half, 4 in our 50.
With George even his biggest fan would acknowledge that he's a limited/nervous player with ball in hand.But he makes that up for it so many other ways.Hence the 3 premierships.This year no so great but guess what niether is the majority of the side including Dusty.
George stays in the side until someone is capable of doing what he does WITHOUT the ball.

LOL...not a skerrick, thank *! ;)

Yeah Rayzor,gutted I can’t go tonight,I actually don’t mind Marvel,pretty good view from the middle seats but it doesn’t breathe like our Richmond lady,the G.

Hoping you get to see the rest of the season mate. :thumbsu:

I've never been to Marvel/Docklands, was always curious, but if you're flying in especially for a game it's gotta be a big one at the 'G and there was always too much else I had to get done in Melbourne to justify going there just for the sake of curiosity to watch a minnow club play.

I think you overestimate how many disposal we got in our forward 50. Most our entries were bombed inside 50 and instantly rebounded. Hard to get many touches inside 50 when that happens.

Reiwoldt had 4.
Lambert - 3
Aarts - 2
CCJ - 2
Dusty - 2
Bolton - 2

From what I can see he had equal most for our team.

No doubt the crumbing has been non existent. But for one he was never the go to guy for that, he marked it inside 50 as much as he crumbed while guys like Rioli and Butler were close to 100% crumbers.
There is no one in our team crumbing at the moment. Ball comes to ground and is rebounded out. Not sure how much of this is to do with our players, our positioning or our game style.

our forward crumbing game has been non existent for 18 months

The love this guy gets completely baffles me.

Pretty simple really, he's played way more great finals games than not, stood up and been counted when it mattered most to help win premierships.

He's had some patches of ordinary form over the last couple of years, last year there was no shortage of people who howled all season for him to be dropped, but once again, when it mattered most, just like the match committee expected, he came up with the goods when the season was on the line.

We don't have a single player whose worst form isn't justification for them being dropped if you take those poor performances in isolation, rather than the context of a whole career, and if you choose to focus solely on the worst aspects of their game.

I - like a lot of people and I would hope a majority - will always choose to remember the great contributions where Georgie 'Chaos King' Castagna was a key factor in us being successful and will be forever grateful for what he's done for the club.

Nothing personal and I could have used an example from numerous other people, but some of us older posters have waded our way through tens of thousands of posts criticising the hell out of a massive chunk of our playing list for being 'VFL players at best.'

What "completely baffles" me is that we're still reading an avalanche of them AFTER THREE BLOODY PREMIERSHIPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back