Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

A great Port Adelaide man who went on to become a great South Australian.
Hated watching him play ( only because he was so good) but couldn’t help but admire his skill and dedication. A sad end to a great man who lived a great life.

In the article it has this photo and these comments under it.

As i wrote in another post it was Rob Snowdon who came up with the idea for the community programs after he had seen the same thing at the Swans and Bucky recruited a primary school principal he knew, whose name escapes me, but I have seen vision of her and read her story, who had decided to take 12 months off work and agreed to help establish it, with her knowledge of how the SA government education department worked to set it up. But it was Russell's gravitas and commitment that drove it early on helped win over the education department's support and then corporates who wanted to do their social responsibility bit.

Russell Ebert pictured with students from the club's Community Youth Program which was established in 1999 as the first educational in-schools program administered by an AFL club.

1636184456715.png

While those records are widely recognised, Mr Richardson explained it was off the field where Ebert’s work was extraordinary. “His record as a footballer has no peer but then to go on and devote the best part of 40 years of his life to the community and those people less fortunate than him is extraordinary,” he said.

“Passions close to his heart – the Crippled Children’s Association into Novita and the Royal Flying Doctor Service. At the Port Adelaide Football Club, we’ve been so fortunate that Russell established our community programs 20 years ago. Again, he was ahead of his time.

“His enduring legacy is the role that football can play in changing and impacting people’s lives and that is probably the thing that elevates Russell above any because of the ongoing impact he has had and will continue to have on the community.

“Our great responsibility now as the custodians of the club is to continue the work he laid the foundation for in terms of impacting the community beyond football and using football as a powerful tool to improve people’s lives.”

And this article in July 2019 in the Tsier marking the 20th year of the program

Ebert turned 70 last week and the staff at Port Adelaide surprised him with a birthday cake and an ice coffee to fuel his once-a-day habit.

It also marked 20 years since he lobbied the club to begin its community work in earnest. “It’s grown so much from when we started in 1999 — Rob Snowdon was the football operations manager from Sydney Swans and they had to get out in the community and promote the game plus their own club,” Ebert said.

“We didn’t have to do that here because we were established and well-known but the community side we really wanted to develop. “So we brought all that together with the community youth program and got straight into schools.” That has now grown into its own arm of the club known as ‘Power Community Limited’ and which runs programs across all sectors of the community. “Promoting all sorts of issues and causes as well as healthy lifestyles, making good decisions, surrounding yourself with positive people and building relationships,” Ebert said........

Nice article by Norts about Russell. I enjoyed the last paragraph.

I can hear Russ now. When Brucey Light asks how he’s going, Russ, with his cheeky smile, will respond as quick as a flash “I’ve been better, I just can’t remember when.” Rest in peace Russ. My inner eight-year old is still crying, as is the 47-year old version. Tears will flow for some time. But the memories will live on forever, including that day at Prospect oval in 1983. Nothing can take that away. Thanks for everything Russ. Onwards and upwards.

In the second last paragraph Norts mentions Bruce Light and Eric Freeman. All 3 have gone too early

So, so sad. Regrettably, I never met Russell in person, but saw him from afar on several occasions when he would visit the Royal Adelaide Hospital for his wonderful charity and community work. My first memories of football were of watching him star in the early 80s and then barracking my lungs out for the Ebert-coached Magpies teams between '83 and '87. Listening to his interviews over the years and his commentary on radio, I have always been struck by how dignified, humble, insightful and kind he was. A champion of a footballer, a wonderful human being and a true gentleman, in every proper sense of the word. Legend.

Re-the funeral arrangements, I'm thinking that the family will have their own private service for relatives and close friends.

Then perhaps there will be a "State", for want of a better expression, memorial service for the general public to show their respects, ala the David Hookes passing years ago?

No coffin or such like, just people saying their bit and remembering the great man.

Could have a #7 PB guernsey in the centre of the oval, and maybe a picture of that famous predatorial visage, as his eyes focus on the next target to dispose of the ball to!

Maybe a cast of one of those giant mitts of his clasping the ball like an apple?

Could have some paraphernalia regarding his charitable works that were close to his heart there too.

Big video screen to play highlights of his playing career plus other memorable moments in his life.

Up to the family of course, but I would expect that they would probably appreciate having personal time to grieve first.

Then the rest of us could celebrate the life of an extraordinary human being separately?

Vale Russell.

This hurts :( As a deaf Port supporter, I have been lucky enough to meet and interview Russ to discuss his footy career and other things with an Auslan interpreter for my show. Our interview was really interesting, and something I will never forget. Russell was so generous, kind, and fun in the short time he spent with us, I will always appreciate this.

Thank you Russ.

I just want to share a few photos I took after the interview with the great Russell.

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

IMG_3620.jpg
Russell grabbed my camera away from me then put his Magarey Medals on me lol. Russell got my camera and tried to take some photos of me but most of the photos were blurred and Russell was having a good laugh. Thank you Russell again and I will never forget this day.

RIP Russell.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lead story on the ABC SA news again tonight. Marshall officially announcing his offer of a state funeral or state memorial to the family.

Remember my nana taking us on the bus into town to”Ebert and Weston” sports store in the mid to late 70s!!! Never did much, just stood there in awe staring at the great man trying to sum up the courage to get his autograph! He’d always see me, knowing I was nervous would always come over and chat and sign my book. Some childhood heroes remain just childhood heroes. Not Russell,he’s always been a hero to me.

Ebert played all 25 VFL games to North Melbourne's exit from the premiership race in the preliminary final. Blight marvels at how Ebert maintained high standards in a demanding league while still working at a sports store in Adelaide.

"It was a bloody difficult year for Russell as a fly-in, fly-out player arriving from Adelaide for one training session a week on Thursday," Blight said. "We also had so many bad injuries so Ron Barassi had to play Russell in so many spots. But when he was put in the centre, he really showed his wares."

This is why Cornes at the end of Part II Conversation with Russell and summing it and him up, said that he didn't think Ron Barassi appreciated Russell. He didn't play him often enough in the middle. Blight on radio today said he was used to Barassi changing his position in a game and game by game whereas as Russell wasn't. John Cahill tonight on the news said Russell and Greg Phillips were the only blokes he coached that he didn't change their position in a game.

Nice article by Norts about Russell. I enjoyed the last paragraph.

I can hear Russ now. When Brucey Light asks how he’s going, Russ, with his cheeky smile, will respond as quick as a flash “I’ve been better, I just can’t remember when.” Rest in peace Russ. My inner eight-year old is still crying, as is the 47-year old version. Tears will flow for some time. But the memories will live on forever, including that day at Prospect oval in 1983. Nothing can take that away. Thanks for everything Russ. Onwards and upwards.

In the second last paragraph Norts mentions Bruce Light and Eric Freeman. All 3 have gone too early
I'm the same age as Norts. My earliest memory is attending the 1980 GF as a 6 year old. My dad loved Russ....and as a result, so did I.

Dad and his younger brother both had prints of number 7 framed above their modest bars. I'm calling dad tomorrow to get it promised to me.

Both dad and my uncle tried to explain God's exploits. I got to see and remember maybe 4 or 5 years of his playing days. Like Norts, I sometimes wish I'd been born 10 years earlier.

I cried as a 10 year old after the 1984 GF. Surely Herb deserved the ultimate success as a coach.

I recall Herb was involved in some activity during a tea break in the Adelaide test one summer.

As he was leaving and walking in front of that old continuous western stand he was inundated with requests for autographs and signed dozens, as a 30 second walk became a 15 minute exercise.

It was always a regret that young me was too shy to go and ask for an autograph...I was over conscious of my parents philosophy of not getting "in the way".

Fast forward to 2018 and Jiangwan Stadium Shanghai. Russell is busting his arse on a hot and humid Friday. Outworking others 40+ years younger. I didn't let the second chance to speak to Russell pass and thank my good friend Garibaldi Red who was on hand to take a great photo.

God has his arm around me and is making the moment all about me...and I'll cherish it forever.

My inner 6, 10 and 44 year old, and my outer 47 year old cried last night.....and a bit today.

On hand was my 10 year old "mini me" to comfort me and nonchalantly reminded me that he'd spent an hour chatting with Russell as an 8 year old at a school visit.

Last edited:
There was a last minute footy clinic at my eldest son's footy club (Morphettville Park Roos) which unbeknownst to me was targeted towards 12-13 year olds. I brought my two sons with the youngest being 4 years old and they were by far the youngest kids there.

Russell made a beeline for my 4 year old son knowing he was the youngest kid there, memorised his name and followed him around all training session making sure he was comfortable. He was such a gentleman and I am getting teary thinking of it

So sad to hear of Russell Ebert's passing. He only played one year for North and played every game to finish 3rd in our B & F behind 2 handy players in Glendinning and Dempsey. Might have won it if he was allowed to play centre instead of plugging holes due to our injury list that year. Absolute star player and person.

He is so loved at North Melbourne after only playing one season, I can only imagine the impact he has had on Port Adelaide.

Condolences to the Ebert family and the Port Adelaide family. Very sad day for us all but more so for you all.

He was a true legend of the game.

RIP Russell.

Remember my nana taking us on the bus into town to”Ebert and Weston” sports store in the mid to late 70s!!! Never did much, just stood there in awe staring at the great man trying to sum up the courage to get his autograph! He’d always see me, knowing I was nervous would always come over and chat and sign my book. Some childhood heroes remain just childhood heroes. Not Russell,he’s always been a hero to me.

Remember when it was Motley Ebert and Weston. My parents bought me a t shirt on my 11th birthday with Russell Ebert's face on it from the store in Klng William Street.

Remember it as Motley and Greer before they took Russell on board - showing my age :cool:

A year to the day, I was diagnosed at the same time as Russell with stage 4 lung cancer, I am so sad to see that Russell's path to Golden gates is shorter than mine as I was given this very time frame, however I have had better luck than the great man with regards to treatment.

50 years (that is a 1/3 of the clubs existence...let that sink in) at the club giving his time to the club in some form is what we should all strive for to give back to the community. Russell has set the bar to be an elite committed humble man, which is what I am inspired to be, what we all should be.

NOT A BAD WORD SPOKEN ABOUT THE GREAT MAN....

If there are GOD's in the pearly heavens above, move over, because there is another heading your way.... (thanks for listening to my prayers thus far)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back