Preview RND 15 - Carlton vs Adelaide (Crom) - Sunday June 27th 4:10pm (EST) @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #762

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id love to see us lock a game down with just an open forward line and a full on defence first approach. Something like this could open us up for future success. We’ve tried the attacking game. Now let’s try something new.

Teague is the coach for me. The assistants however will need to change. A big preseason coming up. Just get through the year with a fully fit list and no off season surgeries. AllowRussell the chance to have a big run at 2022. Another top 10 pick and a full year of our reserves coaches developing players like Carroll Durdin kemp sps Williamson Mirkov Boyd and honey. Would love the chance to take Kelly as a free agent.

I can’t see Cripps re-signing unless we have a positive week. This week could be it.

Id love to see us lock a game down with just an open forward line and a full on defence first approach. Something like this could open us up for future success. We’ve tried the attacking game. Now let’s try something new.

Teague is the coach for me. The assistants however will need to change. A big preseason coming up. Just get through the year with a fully fit list and no off season surgeries. AllowRussell the chance to have a big run at 2022. Another top 10 pick and a full year of our reserves coaches developing players like Carroll Durdin kemp sps Williamson Mirkov Boyd and honey. Would love the chance to take Kelly as a free agent.

I can’t see Cripps re-signing unless we have a positive week. This week could be it.
Russell just seems like the biggest fraud in the comp to me.

Not sure why anyone has any faith left?

We don't seem to have a overall archetype as a team. We aren't big/strong/ fast and we're not lean/ultra fit running our opposition off their feet.

We have the worst body shapes in the league and (even though that AFL article got it completely wrong) would comfortably lead the league in games missed through injury since he arrived.

Incredibly disappointing.

Earlier in the year, Dow was given a run of games in the ones. I don't htink it helped build confidence at all - and that was when the team was travelling 'well'.

A measure I like to use for mid/forwards is pretty simple: disposals + tackles + score (ie goal = 6, pt = 1). Measure of 30 is a good game. 25-30 is minimum baseline for a midfielder. As a measuring stick: Sam Walsh has only had two games under 30 for the year (GWS was the first under 25).Ed Curnow: up until the Sydney game, had been above 25 every game, and 7/10 were above 30).

When Dow had a run of games earlier, using that metric he went:
Rd 1: 28
Rd 2: 15
Rd 3: 14
Rd 4: 11

No sign of confidence there. He had one 'pass' game, dropped to a level that is off the pace, and actually got worse. Rather than building confidence, it fell off.

Now he is back, with 19 (WC) then 18 (GWS). I just can't see how continually churning out sub-par midfield performances helps build confidence - particularly for a bloke who has now played 50 games at senior level.

MAybe we just have to agree to disagree, but I just think he needs to go back, rack up a string of games with 25+ touches and some scoreboard and tackle impact at reserves level, stop worrying about the AFL stuff this year and just get back to being a good footy player, without doing that as part of a team under massive scrutiny that is badly underperforming.

Let Ed Curnow, Williams, Martin etc wear the pressure - they are older and in the case of the latter two, well, a great big pile of money helps with resilience even if you are getting ripped in the media. Dow doesn't have past success to draw on, doesn't even have a history of playing well at AFL level... if he is to be saved I reckon we have to get him out of the spotlight asap.

Was hardly playing as a midfielder in those first 4 weeks.
Was out of position as a forward. And I don't see how your own personal metric is overly relevant?

On Saturday he was not nearly our worst. He's got great hands, had some good touches. He needs to learn to find more of the ball at senior level, racking it up in the 2s isn't really helping him.

Russell just seems like the biggest fraud in the comp to me.

Not sure why anyone has any faith left?

We don't seem to have a overall archetype as a team. We aren't big/strong/ fast and we're not lean/ultra fit running our opposition off their feet.

We have the worst body shapes in the league and (even though that AFL article got it completely wrong) would comfortably lead the league in games missed through injury since he arrived.

Incredibly disappointing.
Surely the question here is...how has the most highly revered trainer in the AFL come to this at our club? Was this hapening at the Hawks? Obviously not or we would not have sought him out.

Was Ramsay held out of the VFL as an AFL emergency? If so, it’s fair to assume that means the club thinks he’s AFL ready.

Bring him in and give him on-ball minutes if that’s the case.

Would love to see Honey get a run (based on VFL vision) - has he been playing mostly HFF in the VFL or more midfield?

The club is so dumb they didnt even use Ramsay as the sub, instead had him sit on his ass all weekend and get zero game time/development into him. If you are going to fly a kid up to an interstate game and make him miss a VFL game and not select him in the 22, then use him as the sub and give him matchday preparation experience and potentially game experience. The player development at this club is an absolute disgrace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club is so dumb they didnt even use Ramsay as the sub, instead had him sit on his ass all weekend and get zero game time/development into him. If you are going to fly a kid up to an interstate game and make him miss a VFL game and not select him in the 22, then use him as the sub and give him matchday preparation experience and potentially game experience. The player development at this club is an absolute disgrace.
being a sub would have been worse.. you seriously want the young lad to make his debut and not even play at all? you don't do that

being a sub would have been worse.. you seriously want the young lad to make his debut and not even play at all? you don't do that
Ask the kid what he would have rather done. Sit in the grandstand in his club issued suit or do the warm up, game prep, sit on the bench and get an AFL game if and when required.....

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

He just defaulted to what most of our players do....letting someone else take responsibility.
You'll notice this in attacking 50 also with the amount of times someone has a clear opportunity to take a shot at goal but will handball it off to the next bloke, who'll do the same thing, and again until we're tackled and the opportunity is gone.

Every game there's at least 2 or 3 times I'm shouting "SOMEONE JUST KICK IT!". It's painful to watch.

You don't see anything wrong with running through a bloke and clipping his jaw with your shoulder?

Loved the intent from Levi, but he had to get low.

Maybe im not seeing the full impact. But thats one of the softest things Ive seen someone get reported for. Again, If CFC players werent getting jaws broken, concussions, larynx smashed and all the rest I quoted initially, then ok

You'll notice this in attacking 50 also with the amount of times someone has a clear opportunity to take a shot at goal but will handball it off to the next bloke, who'll do the same thing, and again until we're tackled and the opportunity is gone.

Every game there's at least 2 or 3 times I'm shouting "SOMEONE JUST KICK IT!". It's painful to watch.

Been a problem up forward for years. Nobody willing to take responsibility and kick the ball. I remember there was an instance a few years back where we handballed the ball, I s**t you not, 5 times within about 15m of our goal, and ended up turning it over.

I think it's one of the things we liked about Gov when we went after him, he takes his shots and usually makes them count. Eddie the same, he knows his job is to take those tough shots.

Walsh does it when he's forward, Cunners finds space more often than not when he's actually out there, Gibbons and Owies aren't too bad but don't get a heap of opportunity.

We've improved a bit when it comes to our forwards taking their shots, but in general play there's a very obvious attitude of "don't be the guy that gets caught with the ball, make sure someone else does...".

Maybe im not seeing the full impact. But thats one of the softest things Ive seen someone get reported for. Again, If CFC players werent getting jaws broken, concussions, larynx smashed and all the rest I quoted initially, then ok

It looked innocuous, but if you elect to initiate that contact off the ball and end up taking a bloke high, you're going to get done. It's the easiest one to avoid as well, just go low and take the wind out of the bloke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back