Autopsy Roast and toast round 6 vs Melbourne and changes for West Coast

Best vs Demons

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

worst part about our game that i could see was 1. slow movement from kick in just ******* around and eventually kicking it out of bounds 2. we regularly have 2-4 players drawn to a single contest on the wing, then because we can't seem to win a contested possession the one oppo there gets the ball and handballs/throws it out to a player in the middle and they have like 4 players lined up unopposed down the middle which is why our defence gets out of position 3. dropping basically every mark or handball receive 4. bottom 3 or 4 players basically contributed basically nothing, need a few regulars to make way soon

Good summation Balta looks a lock for a big bodied mid and gives us an option when we kick it in if he is positioned down the middle of the ground as he will out mark most other mids
Time to try something left field
Play some of the kids no more Aarts Parker they are solid vfl players at best
Played Rance as a mid...why not Balta!!!🤔😀

Not the result we were hoping for last night, but probably the result most of us expected. We weren't likely to beat them at stoppages, so we had to move the ball boldly and win contests at a far higher rate (as we have in past years) to combat how well they setup behind the ball to be a chance of winning. Unfortunately, in the end they came out on top in those areas as well.

The scoreboard flattered us a bit, but many of those behinds were shots from difficult places and testament to the good work of our defenders who worked their arses off to keep us in the game.

Gibcus had his best performance yet and was a real highlight. Some great spoils, good bodywork despite the kilo's he's still yet to put on his frame, solid ball use, but probably the best to see was the combination of cat-like reflexes and anticipation of where the ball is headed next. Hopefully we've got 200+ games of pure enjoyment watching him play to come.

Vlas was great with his customary intuitive intercepting, felt like he was a one-man wall holding back the tide in the first half. Broad had another exceptional game, Rioli was decent again, Short and Mansell acceptable, Tarrant a little below par, but was unlucky at times and had a thankless job with how often the ball was coming in.

Nank was tough as nails standing up so well in the ruck by himself, Meatball and Cotch battled hard all game under difficult circumstances, Baker, Graham and Ross also worked hard and probably scraped a pass, Jack the only tall forward worth a mention - as we often saw last year, he may be getting on in years, but he nearly always finds a way in what was probably his best game for the year all things considered. Looked like he could have kicked a bag with more opportunities.

Really important fortnight coming up. Tough ask to go to Perth with such a short turnaround, they'll be hungry to beat us in their worst season for a long time and we'll be desperate to start squaring the ledger.

Dow looks like he'll miss with that double corky, need to give RCD some serious stoppage minutes to see what he can do against easier opposition, shame a few kids have dropped off in their VFL form because there's a couple of spots up for grabs ATM. Rather see any debutants do so at the 'G in a fortnight than this week, so perhaps Stack or MRJ to come in if needed and hopefully Soldo will be available, seems Dimma would have been very keen to have him last night.

The draw gets a fair bit easier from here, we've got a heck of a lot of players going well below their best this season so far. Hopefully some easier assignments can spark some dramatically improved form out of the 2/3rds of the list who has been out of sorts and we can start getting back to the elite ball movement and contested ball winning which sees us playing our best footy.

Perhaps most important of all, it'll be a massive lift for all players, staff and supporters to see Dusty back soon, goes without saying that we're a better side with the great man around the place, he's been sorely missed. Hopefully we'll se him return in a fortnight for the huge Filthy Pies clash at the 'G.

Go Tigers! :thumbsu::richmond:

For those critical of Hardwick’s gameplan …. we lost 76-54 to the best team in the comp with 3 of our best 6 players out and our midfield getting obliterated. It’s amazing we remained competitive given how many of our mids had absolute shockers. The gameplan is fine … we just have too many players under-performing to execute quality football.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
LMAO they kicked 7 goals 19 behinds with another 7 or 8 on the fulls or marked on the line. Half their team is out also. Their backline alone was missing Lever, Salem and Tomlinson. I guess on your logic we can hope and pray that every opposition has a goalkicking accuracy of 25% and we might be right. FMD if Melbourne Kicked straight we would've lost by 100 points and if the Bulldogs also kicked straight we would've lost by 40 points easy.

You can pretty much sum up our recruting with the rise and fall of RCD. I hope he proves me wrong but I cant see it. He was the great white hope, a speculative buy, and I enjoyed watching him early days, saw him kick 2 one week then get dropped the next, why I dont know. Hes the inside mid big body that we crave, but he is not the answer. We got smashed in adelaide, no big bodies, no tackles. whats wrong with throwing balta in the guts and seeing what he can do? We got smashe against the snow skiiers same way. 4 mids did not lay a tackle all game. our huge need are strong inside mids, not weak bodies. not short people, strong inside mids. Dow is not one nor is Bolton. we need to go all out and get these players and work out our centre breaks. Its abyssmal and since the 6-6-6 we have been found wanting. We also need to priotise skills and kicking skills. seriously blokes like macca and nank turned it over at crucial stages last night. castanga bangs it anywhere as does 3 or 4 others. Cotchin I thought played well but his kicking was ordinary. we turn it over too easily. an investment in cerra would have been worth it but it seems Gibsus was in our sights. OK now go and give games to stack and sonsie and junior. see what comes up. Parker has poor skills but we recruit him. even ralphsmith though a dasher cant hit the side of a barn. macca turned it over 3-4 times with simple kicking skills. do the honourable thing and retire edwards. he is simply not there and if dimma doesnt realise this he has his head in the sand. I for one thought he would be ok but his slide is alarming as it is sad. then there is the forward line. I am still to work out our system. Our coaching team is somewhat hamstrung as there are not the options down below, but why wait? Lets see what comes up? we lack creativity and plan B. I was pleased with our endeavour, but we need some reality checks real fast.
I like your post except for the investment in Cerra. He would have cost us coin and most importantly low draft picks. When you have an ageing list you need to keep your early picks for 2-3 seasons and then get the big fish in when you've put 30-50 games in the kids. See when we won those 3 flags we batted down to 28-30 capable players of getting a game and the 22-30 players meant they could come in to cover for injuries and to manage our A graders with a break. ATM our list bats to 14-18 which means we're not ready to launch another attack , so bringing in a Cerra would be detrimental to doing a proper rebuild. When Geelong Hawks Us and Melbourne now were winning flags all of their reserves team were powerful. Slow and steady wins the race.

the cheers when dees scored last night didn't sound much better than a gws gaints game

Ridiculously pro-Richmond crowd last night. Yes, it was our HOME game but apart from the MCC members reserve which is prominently platter and cheese Dees supporters, there was a sprinkling of dees supporters spread around the ground. The noise was pretty loud well especially in the first half when we kicked goals and reacted to bad umpiring decisions and non-umpiring calls lol

Ling went to the defence of macintosh when he gave away a 50 cause he kept going to our goals at the punt road end when he didn't hear the whistle against Bolton in the centre, said it's so loud down here that macintosh surely didn't hear it and the ump should've given him some leeway.

I like your post except for the investment in Cerra. He would have cost us coin and most importantly low draft picks. When you have an ageing list you need to keep your early picks for 2-3 seasons and then get the big fish in when you've put 30-50 games in the kids. See when we won those 3 flags we batted down to 28-30 capable players of getting a game and the 22-30 players meant they could come in to cover for injuries and to manage our A graders with a break. ATM our list bats to 14-18 which means we're not ready to launch another attack , so bringing in a Cerra would be detrimental to doing a proper rebuild. When Geelong Hawks Us and Melbourne now were winning flags all of their reserves team were powerful. Slow and steady wins the race.
Agree with that , let’s add another 5-6 kids so we have 10+ coming thru then we can cherry pick a FA or a trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the siren is different and secondly how many goals has Balta actually slotted from outside 60. I doubt there would be one.

1) He slotted one from inside the centre square once, but…
2) Grundy was allowed his full time to line up from outside 50 today and kicked it 20m.

That’s the problem. Umpires can pick and choose who gets to shoot. And guess who gets the rub of the green, and who doesn’t?

We seem to commit a howler that completely changes the momentum of a game. It’s often Ross and sometimes Pickett. Tonight was McIntosh. Leading 14-6 and Demons were goalless. Macca has a mark on the wing and has Mansell on his own …. 60 seconds left. If he hits Mansell then he runs 10m and kicks the ball deep into our forward fifty with 50 seconds left. He misses a very simple 20m pass and kicks OOB. Turnover and Demons go goal - goal in last 50 seconds. Instead of 14-6 or maybe 20-6, it’s 14-18 down.

I know we got to level at HT but that was completely against the run of play and only due to inaccuracy.

The entire games momentum shifted from us having an edge and a handy lead to Demons taking complete control over everything except the scoreboard for the next 75 minutes.

It may seem unfair to pluck out a single mistake, but it just seems we make a howler at crucial times that sucks the life out of the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
People/commentators don’t seem to realise how significant one skill error can be. If it’s in the last few minutes in a close game, that’s different. It’s obvious.

But terrible skill errors at any part of the game can kill momentum. The example you cite is a perfect one. What’s also under acknowledged is the injuries caused by skill errors. So many injuries are caused by poor skills. Guys have to stop and prop and get slammed to from behind.

Handballs or kicks that go slightly behind the runner who have to slow down or stop or turn around to retrieve and get smashed.

But the momentum killers should be cause for dropping. It’s deflating as well which compounds the error. Missed shots on goal are another example.

LMAO they kicked 7 goals 19 behinds with another 7 or 8 on the fulls or marked on the line. Half their team is out also. Their backline alone was missing Lever, Salem and Tomlinson. I guess on your logic we can hope and pray that every opposition has a goalkicking accuracy of 25% and we might be right. FMD if Melbourne Kicked straight we would've lost by 100 points and if the Bulldogs also kicked straight we would've lost by 40 points easy.

Tomlinson is playing vfl lol he wasnt selected, hes not injured

Missing dusty, grimes, lambo, pickett is way more than they have out

Tomlinson is playing vfl lol he wasnt selected, hes not injured

Missing dusty, grimes, lambo, pickett is way more than they have out
They’re miles ahead of us. It’s not a personnel issue. They dominated us last night and we came to play and threw our best shot at em. Dees will have trip up as we did in 2018, as the Cats did in 08 and as the Pies did in 11 to lose the flag.

2) Grundy was allowed his full time to line up from outside 50 today and kicked it 20m.

That’s the problem. Umpires can pick and choose who gets to shoot. And guess who gets the rub of the green, and who doesn’t?
U-18s he kicked one from the ruck contest

People/commentators don’t seem to realise how significant one skill error can be. If it’s in the last few minutes in a close game, that’s different. It’s obvious.

But terrible skill errors at any part of the game can kill momentum. The example you cite is a perfect one. What’s also under acknowledged is the injuries caused by skill errors. So many injuries are caused by poor skills. Guys have to stop and prop and get slammed to from behind.

Handballs or kicks that go slightly behind the runner who have to slow down or stop or turn around to retrieve and get smashed.

But the momentum killers should be cause for dropping. It’s deflating as well which compounds the error. Missed shots on goal are another example.
This.

Also applies to free kicks... Wherever they are on the ground at least 75% of em have big impact regarding momentum swing/continuing momentum.

Why it hurts so much when you get one per 12 minutes and the other team get one every 4 mins

I've been saying for a couple of years now, if a player indicates they're having a shot, call time off. They still only get 30 seconds but they can't take the piss and waste time only to pass off and start the process again. The clock starts again when they kick or handball. If they don't indicate they're having a shot, the clock stays on and they get the same time they do anywhere else in the ground. They'd probably need to shorten quarters by a minute or so to compensate for it though. Especially for peanuts like Ben Brown. He takes his 30 secs going back and then another 15 running back in.

all duds

if gawn oliver or petracca ever get injured they will finally loose

People said the same with us with Dusty.

They were 100% right.

Without him we don't make a single flag, let alone win one.

We saw the difference when he played injured in 2018 against Collingwood. You need your elite level blokes, its literally the only thing the separates the average and the elite.

Back