• J. Clarke (sub)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S. Banks

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • J. Ross

Votes: 91 63.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They provide some kind of defensive structure though. I thought both won their positions in the first half. Then it all fell apart. Obviously they will need to be replaced at some point this season, but taking them out now might be too early. We get sliced apart by teams going coast to coast as it is, if we have wingers that aren't defensive on top of that it could get really ugly.

We need to give the kids we bring in a chance to look good, going any younger than this too early could see the season really fall away.

They have been our wingers and we get sliced apart every … single … week. Haven’t you seen how easy teams transition the ball through us?

I’m not saying just play all kids, not by any stretch. I’m saying don’t play 30yo + players who are not helping us now, haven’t helped us for 2-years, and can’t help us in the future. What’s the point? As an example T Brown and Tresize wouldn’t have landed without our backline injuries …. they were game leading interceptors today with 8 and 7 and both showed positive signs.

If Mansell wasn’t injured round zero Campbell doesn’t play and kick 2-goals. He’s now played 3 games and looks a better prospect than all of Mansell, Coulthard and MRJ…. he’s really doing some nice things.

I’m not sure if Hopper and Broad are right to go, but if they are then here is my changes this week:

Out: Macca. Pickett. Lefau. Banks

Ins: McAuliffe. Hopper. Young. MRJ

We should play only one of Grimes or Broad each week. And none of Macca or Pickett. I thought Miller was really good today under an avalanche of I50’s and often zero pressure into their forward line. He’s a KPD, pure and simple. Let’s keep developing him there as who knows what Gibcus’s future is … and we want Balta forward as our options are very limited post Lynch.

Team:

B: Grimes. Miller. Brown
HB: Vlastuin. Young. Short
C: D Rioli. Hopper. Ross
HF: Martin. Balta. Bolton
F: Clarke. Lynch. Baker
R: Nank. TT. Dow
I/C: Tresize. Campbell. Mansell. McCauliffe
Sub: MRJ

I’d be in favour of bringing in Sonsie as well, but it gives us too many mids if Hopper is back and McCauliffe comes in which I think he will… Bolton looked so much better today with more midfield time. Swap Sonsie for Hopper if Hopper doesn’t come up.

I’d give Dow at least another game. I think we need to persevere. I remember Shane Edwards head was on the chopping block a few years into his career .. and he’d played a lot more than Dow. Edwards first 3 seasons from 2007-2009 was 47 games for 28 goals, averaging just 11 touches per game. Yes, 11! Year 4 he played 22 games and averaged 19 and he went from strength to strength every season from there, peaking from 2017-2020. .. his 11-14th seasons !

Macca had 1 possession in the last 2.5 quarters today FFS - how does that even happen on the expanses of the MCG?. We lose nothing …. NOTHING … if we play Clarke on a wing or move D Rioli or Short to a wing.

Let’s be bold and have Grimes, Broad, Macca and Pickett play plenty of VFL this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the return of jack graham

They have been our wingers and we get sliced apart every … single … week. Haven’t you seen how easy teams transition the ball through us?

I’m not saying just play all kids, not by any stretch. I’m saying don’t play 30yo + players who are not helping us now, haven’t helped us for 2-years, and can’t help us in the future. What’s the point? As an example T Brown and Tresize wouldn’t have landed without our backline injuries …. they were game leading interceptors today with 8 and 7 and both showed positive signs.

If Mansell wasn’t injured round zero Campbell doesn’t play and kick 2-goals. He’s now played 3 games and looks a better prospect than all of Mansell, Coulthard and MRJ…. he’s really doing some nice things.

I’m not sure if Hopper and Broad are right to go, but if they are then here is my changes this week:

Out: Macca. Pickett. Lefau. Banks

Ins: McAuliffe. Hopper. Young. MRJ

We should play only one of Grimes or Broad each week. And none of Macca or Pickett. I thought Miller was really good today under an avalanche of I50’s and often zero pressure into their forward line. He’s a KPD, pure and simple. Let’s keep developing him there as who knows what Gibcus’s future is … and we want Balta forward as our options are very limited post Lynch.

Team:

B: Grimes. Miller. Brown
HB: Vlastuin. Young. Short
C: D Rioli. Hopper. Ross
HF: Martin. Balta. Bolton
F: Clarke. Lynch. Baker
R: Nank. TT. Dow
I/C: Tresize. Campbell. Mansell. McCauliffe
Sub: MRJ

I’d be in favour of bringing in Sonsie as well, but it gives us too many mids if Hopper is back and McCauliffe comes in which I think he will… Bolton looked so much better today with more midfield time. Swap Sonsie for Hopper if Hopper doesn’t come up.

I’d give Dow at least another game. I think we need to persevere. I remember Shane Edwards head was on the chopping block a few years into his career .. and he’d played a lot more than Dow. Edwards first 3 seasons from 2007-2009 was 47 games for 28 goals, averaging just 11 touches per game. Yes, 11! Year 4 he played 22 games and averaged 19 and he went from strength to strength every season from there, peaking from 2017-2020. .. his 11-14th seasons !

Macca had 1 possession in the last 2.5 quarters today FFS - how does that even happen on the expanses of the MCG?. We lose nothing …. NOTHING … if we play Clarke on a wing or move D Rioli or Short to a wing.

Let’s be bold and have Grimes, Broad, Macca and Pickett play plenty of VFL this year.

Hopper at least 2 away

Dusty sadly no longer has the legs, it's very obvious when he gains possession he knows his body has new limitations. You can almost see him pull himself back to preserve his body so that he potentially play the season out. The fact he set the performance bar so high for so long makes it difficult to watch him now that he appears to be just a mere mortal.

He isn't going to have the impact in games that he once had which happens to all legends of the game eventually. He is a once in a generation player so hopefully he can mentor the younger players and make some cameos along the way before leaving the game under his own terms. Personally I can't see him playing on beyond this season but time will tell.

FMD … Martin was absolutely awesome in the first half. 13 touches, 2 goal assists and 7 score involvements. We got slaughtered in the second half in midfield and he barely got a look in, and he’d be disappointed with his second half like most of the team.

He’s played 2 games and has 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 15 score involvements in a bottom 4 team. Tough school.

The general tone of it by picking on passionate fans. In the end you take the game day threads with a grain of salt.
Also it’s four seasons since our last flag and a lot of poor off field decisions in administration and FD have been made or not made which has accelerated our demise.
Louie Meehan still employed is a concern as well as poor trades , poor draft picks and personnel leaving. Team selection are puzzling and reminiscing that we are stuck in the past.
People have a right to be concerned and vent their anger as where do you expect them to do it? I’d love to do it on the Suns board, but I don’t think I’d last long. 😂
It's time for these guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240324-233912.png
    Screenshot_20240324-233912.png
    298.2 KB · Views: 21
Clearly you can't read. I said 12 months until he's under pressure. Hard for some

The points the same. He’s coaching a team that has had 1 x top-10 pick since Nick Vlastuin .. and that pick just did his ACL. We finished 13th last year. We’ve got 6 of our starting 18 out right now. We’re learning a new gameplan.

Yze won’t be under pressure in the next 12-months no matter what happens this year.

Do you really think what happens out in the middle for the next year or two is likely to be sheeted back to Yze? Unless the players hate him he’ll be under no pressure for a long time.

The points the same. He’s coaching a team that has had 1 x top-10 pick since Nick Vlastuin .. and that pick just did his ACL. We finished 13th last year. We’ve got 6 of our starting 18 out right now. We’re learning a new gameplan.

Yze won’t be under pressure in the next 12-months no matter what happens this year.

Do you really think what happens out in the middle for the next year or two is likely to be sheeted back to Yze? Unless the players hate him he’ll be under no pressure for a long time.

one week's a long time in football. Twelve months is an eternity. lol

You don't win 3 flags in 4 years being the above. It just doesn't happen.

It’s not just the quality of those missing … it’s the fact you have to play those ranked 24-30 in quality…..

We had 5 players with under 10-games today. Plus Dow with 20, Mansell with 34, Miller with 26 and Clarke with 17. That’s 9 players with less than 35 games……and we were 7-points down at 3/4 time against a top-4 team… with our usual rogering from the umpires.

We can be disappointed, but we have to be realistic. Let’s put it this way … the genuinely rebuilding Hawks this week, who looked deplorable against the Demons, had 1 x player with under 10-games, and 5 in total with less than 35-games.

Our ‘kids’ aren’t as bad as everyone makes out,
and there’s more quality youngsters on our list than anyone thinks … with a strong draft hand end of 2024 I believe our list build is actually in good shape.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yze needs time his finding alot about our side and individual players. Match committee needs to wakeup through enough of playing players past it and not going to take us forward same trend last couple seasons. Have to let go time to play the youth. Gifting games to our veterans.

Yeah it was a nice story Lefeau , but was stupid picking him get ruthless tigers. Clarke, Coulthard ,Sonz, McAuliffe and Cumbo should be in next week. Go with youth.

Last edited:
FMD … Martin was absolutely awesome in the first half. 13 touches, 2 goal assists and 7 score involvements. We got slaughtered in the second half in midfield and he barely got a look in, and he’d be disappointed with his second half like most of the team.

He’s played 2 games and has 2 goals, 2 goal assists and 15 score involvements in a bottom 4 team. Tough school.

Dusty had his fingerprints on every attacking forward move in the first half was awesome. second half not so much but he had plenty of mates

At the game today, and I know it’s early days in a new coaches tenure, but does anyone know what our gameplan or blueprint is for this team? Tackle count was really poor, no forward pressure, no sustained short kicking to retain possession and work up the ground, no clear structure to slingshot off half back cleanly, and forward movement that is simply chaotic and disorganised. And the usual lippy disciplinary crap costing us still.

Yep it’s early days - but what are we as a club at the moment? At least if we went the youth pathway it would be some sign of intent……….

And I’m sorry about Dow - but something not quite right there. Whilst his possession count was pretty ordinary, it was his lack of effort without the ball that was glaringly obvious today. Just didn’t do any of the defensive hard chasing or sticking tackles. Worrying to watch.

The late exclusion of Maurice was a blow.
He plays well as a diversionary HF flanker, augments Shai running forward.
The reality is we are being outscored, week in, week out.
We need to add an extra in defence.
Make the game more of a war of attrition.
Balta must revert to defence as the spare, rebounding HB flanker.

Went to the game.
The younger players show potential.
It will take 3-4 years to open a new window, then to be a genuine threat again for another 3-4 years.
Football is a cycle, of mature players, then younger ones coming through.
Balta forward is not working, should be at half back.
We need to draft a key forward to eventually replace Lynch

I don't care how we do it, but McAuliffe and Sonsie just have to come in.
Any of Dow, Lefau, Banks, KMAC I don't care.

I just want to see something different through the middle. Even though we traded him to be a mid, I wouldn't mind seeing Taranto do some stints up forward just so we can change up the midfield mix a bit.

It's time to experiment.

At the game today, and I know it’s early days in a new coaches tenure, but does anyone know what our gameplan or blueprint is for this team? Tackle count was really poor, no forward pressure, no sustained short kicking to retain possession and work up the ground, no clear structure to slingshot off half back cleanly, and forward movement that is simply chaotic and disorganised. And the usual lippy disciplinary crap costing us still.

Yep it’s early days - but what are we as a club at the moment? At least if we went the youth pathway it would be some sign of intent……….

And I’m sorry about Dow - but something not quite right there. Whilst his possession count was pretty ordinary, it was his lack of effort without the ball that was glaringly obvious today. Just didn’t do any of the defensive hard chasing or sticking tackles. Worrying to watch.
Dow has been given enough chances, unfortunately he has shown he is not good enough at the level.
I would keep playing guys like Brown & Trezise. I would bring Clarke into the 22.

Not sure if Lefau did enough to hold his spot looked kind of lost out there today, I would probably replace him with Maurice we need some pressure it obvious out there. I would drop Banks for Mcauliffe & put Ross to the wing if we they want go that way. even Sonsie maybe not sure if you can play all these guys but me personally, I said from the start I would not have been playing Pickett & McIntosh to me their just wasted games if we are not winning whats the point of getting games into them?

.....do you think changes happen instantly? Like snap of a finger over the off season and all the players are suddenly different?
Of course not but if you talk the walk and start with nothing well questions need answering. I just don't see anything different same old. Older players still fumbling, younger players not coming on as people expected and there is no sign of any direction. In fact the only direction we have seen since the end of our dynasty is people leaving.

I'd like to know how Geelong continually seem to acquire such high quality picks from other clubs year in year out. Have they got some sneaky backroom deal going on with the AFL. Wears the money coming from ? Something in the water at Corio it seems........
It's well known that they get players in who will play for under's. But more like the Costa side money in action. What they do well is yeah they get in older players but they do not forget younger ones either. They have a good mix year in and out that's why they can sustain form. We all know about how Sydney stay up top, and how can sides without help compete as what we did was a miracle. We simply gave away our trade picks so now Taranto Hooper all of a sudden doesn't look as good as they thought. Kozi I know didn't cost much but what were they thinking? Gale, how did he become our savior only to see the eventual downfall? We should have been set for years instead we are heading back to the dark ages.

Back