Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Sydney, changes for West Coast, Sunday July 16

Best vs Swans

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not exactly the way it is, some VFL level players can lift to a different level when in the AFL, I think it's a mental thing.
I think it’s more being surrounded by a lot of blokes that are vfl level only. It’s harder to perform in a substandard team.
There’s probably 8 guys in our vfl team on Thursday that are AFL level and that’s me being generous.
Trezise future B grader minimum
Brown future A grader
HRS serviceable
Ryan ( way down on form and I can’t predict his future)
Coulthard (like Trezise)
Sonsie ( future B to A grader way down on form, but showed promise last week)
Clarke ( didn’t play, but future A grader)
Noah in Wonderland ( inconsistent and lazy and cant predict if he’ll make it)

Soldo fit would be serviceable, but he’s not in my team.
Green (way inconsistent and will probably not make it)

list falls way drastically afterwards.

Last edited:
I think it’s more being surrounded by a lot of blokes that are vfl level only. It’s harder to perform in a substandard team.
There’s probably 8 guys in our vfl team on Thursday that are AFL level and that’s me being generous.
Trezise future B grader minimum
Brown future A grader
HRS serviceable
Ryan ( way down on form and I can’t predict his future)
Coulthard (like Trezise)
Sonsie ( future B to A grader way down on form, but showed promise last week)
Clarke ( didn’t play, but future A grader)
Noah in Wonderland ( inconsistent and lazy and cant predict if he’ll make it)

Soldo fit would be serviceable, but he’s not in my team.
Green (way inconsistent and will probably not make it)

list falls way drastically afterwards.
But that would be the same with all teams. It's hard to keep a deep list as our list has shown with players like Butler, Markov, Higgins, Chol, CCJ, Ellis all moving on for better deals or first team football.

But that would be the same with all teams. It's hard to keep a deep list as our list has shown with players like Butler, Markov, Higgins, Chol, CCJ, Ellis all moving on for better deals or first team football.
Yeah I know. ,but even with the names above they’re still all not killing it which makes it harder to perform in if you’re especially a small forward.

Yeah more likely than not that's true, I just don't feel like we're that bad a team as the margin suggested. I think we'll win the rematch later in the year.
Thought I'd toot my own horn here 😁, post from last Sydney game. Course, I also thought we'd beat Gold Coast and Essendon so what do I know.

I'd love to see Trezise get a debut this week. Grimes could do with a rest surely?

James Trezise (22 disposals, six marks, five rebound-50s)

"Also outstanding. He won the ball back for us a dozen times off the opposition, and for most of the day, he used the ball very well. He's in very good form and he's ready if an opportunity presents itself."

Out: Nank, Bauer, Grimes
In: Soldo, Trezise, Mansell (sub)

The Hayden McLean non- tackle on Nank was bazaar.

Pretty sure Horse would have been dropping every expletive known to mankind in the coaches box

It. showed to me just how conufsed the players are tho. He applied a tackle, Nank didn't really get the ball out. The ump made no call so instead if applying a harder tackle like players used to, he let him go to show Nank wasn't even trying and nank just kicked it. But players are confused as F now - apply a hard tackle and the player gets injured or concussed & you miss weeks, even months.

I'd love to see Trezise get a debut this week. Grimes could do with a rest surely?

"Also outstanding. He won the ball back for us a dozen times off the opposition, and for most of the day, he used the ball very well. He's in very good form and he's ready if an opportunity presents itself."

No way i would be resting Grimes with Nank out - who captains?

Would you go Soldo or Ryan to ruck?

No way i would be resting Grimes with Nank out - who captains?

Would you go Soldo or Ryan to ruck?
Didn't consider that but Dusty has captained before. Or a bloke called Trent Cotchin could step up.

I'd go Soldo as first ruck without question. Ryan is out of form and Soldo's only viable position is 1st ruck. If we don't play him now we might as well get rid of him.

I like it but can't see us leaving out both our captains.

Didn't consider that but Dusty has captained before. Or a bloke called Trent Cotchin could step up.

I'd go Soldo as first ruck without question. Ryan is out of form and Soldo's only viable position is 1st ruck. If we don't play him now we might as well get rid of him.

Its funny - i think we both have the same motivation, but different execution.

I would keep Grimes in, keep that backline secure - with Nank out we would need a captain. If we have 2 captains & only 1 is fit - we play our captain, otherwise it makes a mockery of the role IMO.

I would however play Ryan over Soldo & rotate he, Balta for the game - as the Eagles ruck division is below AFL level IMO. Their current ruck is 189cm - do we should give Ryan a crack at him to have a chance to dominate a game at "AFL level". We are also better off using the game to trial the 2 "back up" options for a full game and see which one is the most capable of filling in big minutes if Toby got injured mid-games etc

I would rather Ryan get the benefit of having a very "soft" AFL game & a "cheap" chance at having a big game. He has put in the runs to get that crack IMO,

I honestly see the days of Soldo gone. I think in 2019 the team was so strong everywhere, that his biggest strength in his tap work and attack on the ball was able to be used to maximum value & at minimum cost. Now he is too much of a liability. I really can't see any scenario where Soldo & Toby should be in the same game again

We had a bye 2 weeks ago. Why would anyone need a rest

Its funny - i think we both have the same motivation, but different execution.

I would keep Grimes in, keep that backline secure - with Nank out we would need a captain. If we have 2 captains & only 1 is fit - we play our captain, otherwise it makes a mockery of the role IMO.

I would however play Ryan over Soldo & rotate he, Balta for the game - as the Eagles ruck division is below AFL level IMO. Their current ruck is 189cm - do we should give Ryan a crack at him to have a chance to dominate a game at "AFL level". We are also better off using the game to trial the 2 "back up" options for a full game and see which one is the most capable of filling in big minutes if Toby got injured mid-games etc

I would rather Ryan get the benefit of having a very "soft" AFL game & a "cheap" chance at having a big game. He has put in the runs to get that crack IMO,

I honestly see the days of Soldo gone. I think in 2019 the team was so strong everywhere, that his biggest strength in his tap work and attack on the ball was able to be used to maximum value & at minimum cost. Now he is too much of a liability. I really can't see any scenario where Soldo & Toby should be in the same game again
No issue with that but Grimes looks sore to me and could do with a rest from the Perth trip.

Under no circumstances would I be moving Balta out of the backline. He's finally settled and playing career best footy plus imagine he did a PCL in a ruck contest, we'd be ****ed. If Miller isn't back up ruck then what's he doing in the side? No spot for him in the backline and he's a poor forward. Bailey Williams is Eagles ruck and he's 201cms and is decent.

Soldo is a liability as a 2nd ruck/KPF but as a first ruck he is AFL quality IMO. If Ryan plays it should be in place of Miller.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No issue with that but Grimes looks sore to me and could do with a rest from the Perth trip.

Under no circumstances would I be moving Balta out of the backline. He's finally settled and playing career best footy plus imagine he did a PCL in a ruck contest, we'd be ****ed. If Miller isn't back up ruck then what's he doing in the side? No spot for him in the backline and he's a poor forward. Bailey Williams is Eagles ruck and he's 201cms and is decent.

Soldo is a liability as a 2nd ruck/KPF but as a first ruck he is AFL quality IMO. If Ryan plays it should be in place of Miller.

I definitely agree with Balta down back - i was (loudly) always against the move up forward - but i think using him as a back-up for 25% of a game against the Eagles is likely not going to do much harm & worthwhile if it gives Ryan a chance to shine. But yes, if Miller is back up i don't care either - its literally just being the sidekick to allow Ryan to have the main go and hopefully get some confidence he belongs at AFL level.

If Soldo is an AFL #1 ruckman, then he is in the bottom tier for sure. I woould rather use those minutes to develop a new player than just double down on a player who is most likely expiring

Resting players good idea. It just never happens.

Banks in the discussion? could deserve a game.

why is everyone obsessed with resting players? We had a bye 2 weeks ago. They had a rest.

What we need to be doing is building momentum and absolutely ******* murdering some teams and remembering how to ******* win games before 3/4 time. Thats what we need, To absolutely ******* tear this shithole apart and feast on their sorry arses.

The whole downfall happened on this ground 2021. We know the game. We saw what happened.

Lets ******* make sure its them that faired worse from that point on. We should rest no one and murder them

Shining Stanley Kubrick GIF by Maudit

why is everyone obsessed with resting players? We had a bye 2 weeks ago. They had a rest.

What we need to be doing is building momentum and absolutely ******* murdering some teams and remembering how to ******* win games before 3/4 time. Thats what we need, To absolutely ******* tear this shithole apart and feast on their sorry arses.

The whole downfall happened on this ground 2021. We know the game. We saw what happened.

Lets ******* make sure its them that faired worse from that point on. We should rest no one and murder them

Shining Stanley Kubrick GIF by Maudit
Let's be honest Grimes is struggling and would only benefit from missing the trip West.

Not shocking but don't reckon we'd lose too much if he had a rest and it's a good opportunity to debut Trezise.
I cant agree with you on this one, he also leads the backline and never stops barking orders.

Trezise best chance of a debut would be to replace banks or play wing / HFF

Let's be honest Grimes is struggling and would only benefit from missing the trip West.

I still think he is a integral part of that back 6. Balta is NOT a leader back there, that is our biggest problem leading forward. Batla has a similar skillset to Rance, but is not the "Defensive General" Rance was. We really need to find our new "Defensive General" for the next decade to utilise lots of cool pieces we have like Balta, Gibcus Broad etc

I cant agree with you on this one, he also leads the backline and never stops barking orders.

Trezise best chance of a debut would be to replace banks or play wing / HFF
Yeah fair enough. I'm just a huge Trezise fan and want to see him play. No better time than against the worst team in decades. I can't see him playing HFF/wing in the ones unless he gets a run at it int he twos first. I do think he looks like the prototype winger going forward though.

Tresizes from since being picked up in the midseason draft has been outstanding, he’s been our best and most consistent VFL player.
Reckon him and Banks have or will go past HRS for that wing/hb role. And throw Brown into that mix.
Hugo imo is dropping down the pecking order, Morris mentioning his average disposal again in the VFL report.

Back