Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Hawthorn, Changes for Melbourne, Sunday July 30

Best vs Hawthorn

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting coaches know more then the gallery

I did not think Sicily was that good.

Sure he had a good game but JR had plenty of shots. Sicily was up there but I would not have given him a ten. JR had too much ball and Hawks have some other handy defenders. Baker kicked a goal on him and he got away with some pushes

Taranto was better than a one with his 3 goals two from fifty easily

Some lose the plot over possession numbers

Rioli had a handy game and he was tagged apparently

The fact Sicily is focused helps Taranto kick three goals, thankyou very much:thumbsu: Even better allows the pressure off Dusty letting him apply his craft with more freedom

Last edited:

No VFL game this week so if Bauer is fit and isn't recalled to the AFL side he isn't playing any level this week.

I think given we are coming up against May and Lever another marking forward, especially one that can fly and crash packs like Bauer would be ideal to help out Miller and take the pressure off Jack who is fighting hard but isn't cut out to be the no.1 key forward anymore.

If they pass him fit, I say why not it will be 24 days since he injured his hammy come Sunday and by all reports it wasn't a bad one. It sounds like he got himself off the ground before he injured it badly.

Who comes out for him I don't know, can't see Banks or Coulthard making way would be harsh. Pickett maybe one of the unlucky ones, has been played out of position and a selfless role for the team for more than half the season. Maybe they'll rest Cotch given it's only a 5 day turn-around between Dees and Dogs game. Although more likely they rest him against the Bulldogs.

Thank god I'm not in match-committee.

Sure he had a good game but JR had plenty of shots. Sicily was up there but I would not have given him a ten. JR had too much ball and Hawks have some other handy defenders

The fact Sicily is focused helps Taranto kick three goals, thankyou very much:thumbsu: Even better allows the pressure off Dusty letting him apply his craft with more freedom
Sicily 100% deserved the 10 coaches votes. He absolutely dominated, like every intercept defender does against us. It takes us half a game to realise we can't just kick it on their heads and expect it to work out well for us.

Sure he had a good game but JR had plenty of shots. Sicily was up there but I would not have given him a ten. JR had too much ball and Hawks have some other handy defenders

Easily BOG

So instead of being a hero about it give us
Your tactics then

As you were for me.

It is going to be a tall order no matter what we do, but we need to look to do as we have been doing. Score with our mids and mid-forwards.

I don't think we can play Bauer in such an important game due to the re-injury risk. If fit, Short comes in for Banks. Short's ability to nail long range shots could really help v Melbourne.

What is your suggested strategy?

As you were for me.

It is going to be a tall order no matter what we do, but we need to look to do as we have been doing. Score with our mids and mid-forwards.

I don't think we can play Bauer in such an important game due to the re-injury risk. If fit, Short comes in for Banks. Short's ability to nail long range shots could really help v Melbourne.

What is your suggested strategy?
Already said it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easily BOG

Actually I do not think he was BOG.

He had a few free kicks go his way to.

I am not sure who else one could give it to.

Maybe Taranto, given tackles and goals including those two near the fifty. I think Taranto's goals also helped firestart the team surge more. Even Baker was great.

JR's points where important as was Cotch's. We won by a point it all adds up and Hawthorn obviously did not effectively clear it out as good as they could have

After watching a replay of the first after after watching a relay of the second half last night, Taranto was clearly BOG. Apart from kicking three goals, and the rest, he set up Hopper to kick a goal and he also kicked it to Miller who should of goaled but gave it to Cotch who kicked a point

Last edited:
Sicily 100% deserved the 10 coaches votes. He absolutely dominated, like every intercept defender does against us. It takes us half a game to realise we can't just kick it on their heads and expect it to work out well for us.

He did not dominate, we won by a point. JR kicked 10 points?? Ball kept going into our forward line??

He dominated that much, Vlastuin was moved in the end to go on Day??

Taking intercept marks in defence in space is not a domination

Baker kicked a goal on him in the second quarter as well

The first goal from Graham by us was from a mark/kick from JR on Sicily

Last edited:
He did not dominate, we won by a point. JR kicked 10 points?? Ball kept going into our forward line??

He dominated that much, Vlastuin was moved in the end to go on Day??
Do you just watch games during the ad breaks in other shows and then try to figure out the rest of what happened your head?:$

Balta takes more contested marks than Sicily.

Sicily likes to get a few cheap stats out the back whereas Balta I think is more problematic for some forwards

Sicily likes to get off the chain a bit, be a third wheel although he has got better and is more inside, Balta is more hard ball for me:thumbsu:

From a team perspective it is easier for a Rioli, Banks, Graham, Baker to play off a Balta and distribute the ball more effectively not to means the likes of Ross that do not mind the tough ball either

I just finished watching a replay of the first half. Balta got pushed in the back, Sicily pushed JR in the back, no free kick

Last edited:
Yes. There's nothing more important than kicking a point instead of a goal from 10-15 metres out. Twice.

The thing is when JR and Cotch kicked those points, the Hawks have to bring it out from their goals where if we set up right we may be able to get another turnover. If we can create a 7 point play it is more than six points provided the Hawks do not score

Balta takes more contested marks than Sicily.

Sicily likes to get a few cheap stats out the back whereas Balta I think is more problematic for some forwards

Sicily likes to get off the chain a bit, be a third wheel although he has got better and is more inside, Balta is more hard ball for me:thumbsu:

From a team perspective it is easier for a Rioli, Banks, Graham, Baker to play off a Balta and distribute the ball more effectively not to means the likes of Ross that do not mind the tough ball either

In 2023 Balta takes 2.1 contested marks per game, Sicily takes 2 per game. So there isn't much in that. Sicily is a much more precise ball user than Balta. It is a bit silly to try to dismiss Sicily, he is a class player.

The thing is when JR and Cotch kicked those points, the Hawks have to bring it out from their goals where if we set up right we may be able to get another turnover. If we can create a 7 point play it is more than six points provided the Hawks do not score
I think I'd rather kick the easy goal and then back our guys to win it out of the centre. When Cotch and Jack missed those absolute sitters we didn't cause a turnover and then get a goal.

Back