Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Hawthorn, Changes for Melbourne, Sunday July 30

Best vs Hawthorn

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is when JR and Cotch kicked those points, the Hawks have to bring it out from their goals where if we set up right we may be able to get another turnover. If we can create a 7 point play it is more than six points provided the Hawks do not score

Jacks and Cotch’s multiple misses almost cost us the game. Nobody can convince me it helped us win.

Misses like that sap the confidence of the team. Remember the game? We were down 26-8 or whatever it was, then surged to 36-26 when Miller handballed to Cotch to make it 42-26. At that stage we were absolutely all over the Hawks and it should have been a 34-0 run, and from there we might have broken them and smacked them.

Instead … Cotch misses, and the Hawks kicked the next 6-goals in about 8-minutes. The Cotch miss was the catalyst for a monumental shift in momentum.

So any narrative that the points were important is just garbage. It’s like a batsman making a duck and 1 being regarded as important contributions in a test match you win by a run. It’s just BS.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jacks and Cotch’s multiple misses almost cost us the game. Nobody can convince me it helped us win.

Misses like that sap the confidence of the team. Remember the game? We were down 26-8 or whatever it was, then surged to 36-26 when Miller handballed to Cotch to make it 42-26. At that stage we were absolutely all over the Hawks and it should have been a 34-0 run, and from there we might have broken them and smacked them.

Instead … Cotch misses, and the Hawks kicked the next 6-goals in about 8-minutes. The Cotch miss was the catalyst for a monumental shift in momentum.

So any narrative that the points were important is just garbage. It’s like a batsman making a duck and 1 being regarded as important contributions in a test match you win by a run. It’s just BS.

I watched the game twice, Cotch and JR where not the two weakest, others cost the game more. At least they did positive things to bump up their misses.

Without JR we do not kick our first goal for starters. If Buddy goes round again JR has another six years left in him

Last edited:

Riewoldt and Cotchin are playing a crucial mentoring leadership role right now.

Culture eats strategy for breakfast, don't dump them unless they are really bad and someone is smashing the door down.

i think a relevant point here is when you mention someone smashing the door down - i agree there isn't - the only inclusions this week will be Short if fit, be interesting to see what they do with Bauer if fit - and i think they'll put Coultard straight from sub. The only one that might get in on form is Cumbers for mine and while Mansell etc are in the team there is always room for inclusions somewhere ....

Watched the replay.
Thought that Dan R and Ross were quieter than usual.
Dan was sensational in previous games.
Dan had a heavy tag and still contributed, was an awesome game from him. Hard to shake a tag when you've got to be accountable for a defensive position.

The narrative around our team is all wrong from most external commentators. We’ve been building a great ‘transition’ list for years.

From 2021 we’ve debuted the following players who remain on our list - ** = looks to be AFL quality. * = maybe. nothing = in trouble

MRJ *
Hugo *
Coulthard *
Dow
Gibcus **
Ryan **
Cumberland *
Sonsie *
Banks **
Clarke *
Biggy
Miller *
Young **
Bauer *
Mansell *

Then there’s Tom Brown who looks quality but injuries haven’t given him a chance.

So I’d be surprised if many other teams have blooded 15 x debutants since 2021 - there’s every chance we blood Tresize and Brown before end of this year which brings us to 17.

Then there’s the breakthrough form of Ross. The emergence of Young. The return of Soldo.

Our backline is set for a long long time. Balta is 23yo and 194cm. Gibcus is 20yo and 196cm. Young is 24yo and 196cm. And people probably don’t realise Brown is 193cm. And Bauer is 192cm if he ends up being a defender.

Then there’s smaller types such as Baker, Banks and Rioli, none of whom are over 26yo. Even Short is only 27yo and Vlastuin 29yo.

So we have so much backline depth of all sizes it’s not funny. Defence wins flags.

We aren’t as well equipped in all other areas, but the list build is in great shape.

People keep harping on about not having those top-5 picks, to which I say think about where they’d be taken in a re-draft:

Bolton: top-2
Balta: top-5
Baker: top-10
Rioli : top-10
Short: top-10

Then we have Taranto #2, Gibcus #9, Vlastuin #9 and Hopper #7.

(I’ve only included under 30yo).

So any panic about not having top-picks is unfounded. We’ve got 9-10 x players under 30yo who are top-10 quality. It doesn’t matter where you picked them, it only matters what they’re worth in hindsight.

Dusty has to start in the middle this week. we cant have another slow start otherwise it will be the lions game all over again

Dusty has to start in the middle this week. we cant have another slow start otherwise it will be the lions game all over again
Was an interesting stat, but surely we dont ignore it.

I would go Dusty, Prestia and TT to start, thats a bloody good blend and balance

Next wave, Shai, Hopper and Cotch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross does a lot of really good little things that people miss - and I don't just mean running, guarding space & pressure acts but actual A-grade s**t with the ball.
And a wicked sidestep.

Dan had a heavy tag and still contributed, was an awesome game from him. Hard to shake a tag when you've got to be accountable for a defensive position.
rioli's heavy tag also allowed banks to step up his role, almost doubling his possessions from last game which would've done him a world of good

banks looked great running past and getting the handball receives, as well as just some of his stationary field kicking was superb, gonna be a weapon for us in the back half of the field or on the wing.

makes me all the more excited for tom brown to get a run around in the seniors. although we're kinda stacked there even with short + gibcus injured & baker playing up forward. gonna be crucial how we transition to a younger line-up without tanking too hard and without our young talent leaving, because it certainly seems we're trying our hardest to not bottom out. especially with our backline stalwarts in vlastuin, broad and grimes being 29, 30 and 32 respectively

Back