Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Sydney, changes for West Coast, Sunday July 16

Best vs Swans

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross probably been dropped a couple of times this year due to team balance rather than form. Bringing in Taranto and Hooper , and having played Cotch and Prestia more than expected, he’s been left out to get that extra leg speed and team balance right.
He’s done well to adapt to roles i don’t think he’s necessarily suited to. Has been a bit of a surprise packet for me this year.

It seems like Ross has been around for ever and is still only 22, I think he will be a very good player for us and will definitely peak at 24-25.

He has shown a lot of inner strength & attrition in the way he has hang in there and continued to fight & bulldog his way into the 22, over - quite frankly - more talented players. He is showing that he wants it more than most atm & taken some real ownership & accountability of his game and clearly worked hard for it. He needs to add & most importantly sustain polish though otherwise he will always limit your ceiling, especially in the midfield. He needs to push his game to the next level this next off-season otherwise i think he will likely max out at a similar level to KMac, Graham - & we already have too many players in that place. We need a few bolter's , ala Bake's, to take a BIG leap and change our path. Ross has shown he at least has the ticker to take on that challenge.... but so did the KMac & Graham - i'm still not certain his ceiling is what we need right now, but i've certainly enjoyed seeing his growth. I also love the footage of him when Bauer was going down to the rooms with his hammy. Ross legit looked like a pig in s**t at the prospect of getting in so early. It was brutal & I loved it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Hayden McLean non- tackle on Nank was bazaar.

Pretty sure Horse would have been dropping every expletive known to mankind in the coaches box

Dermie meltdown over umpiring on Nank, very selective so I suppose next time Nank plays it will be a never-ending whistle

As he notes, Toby Nankervis was able to walk out of a tackle in the last quarter that Hayden McLean had let go of. With the crackdown on protecting the Head, McLean didn’t take the Richmond ruckman to ground but was penalised for it.
That's not how I saw it anyway. I reckon McLean let Nank go so he'd either get the ball moving rather than causing another stoppage or so that the ump could see that Nank was making no genuine attempt to get rid of it and would've been pinged holding the ball.

Had nothing to do with McLean not wanting to take Nank to ground in a tackle IMO.

OUT: Kmac, Pickett, Bauer, Nank, Banks
IN: Ross, Brown, Cumbo, Soldo, Bradke
Banks sub.

Ross is a clear upgrade on Kmac. I don't think Pickett's form justifies selection over a youngster knocking the door down.
Cumbo just needs games he's clearly a confidence player. Soldo in for Nank. Bradke I don't rate at all but Jack is getting double fisted, we just need a big dangerous looking bloke down there to take the heat.
MRJ gets another crack sick of dropping kids after one lacklustre game.
Miller 2nd ruck. Banks sub, steadied himself in the second half but can't be starting 22 if we're serious just yet.
With both McGovern and Barras playing this week focus really needs to be on lowering the eyes and using the spare when going into 50
Bomb it long and we still come away with a win but won’t get the bump in percentage we need

MRJ had 7 tackles in his last VFL game. Yeah he needs to improve his offensive work, but he's definitely above VFL level with his defence.
And yet Coulthard is above him offensively. Maybe play both ;)

Why? MRJ has been playing below every level for months.

His form was ordinary for sure, but he has definitely got way more runs on the board that Coulthard. He needs to quite literally earn that senior stripe before he gets one. MRJ has at least EARNED his stripe

Ok my changes this week.
Outs
Nank, Bauer, Cotch (managed)
In
Ross, Brown, Ryan (i wouldnt have him as 1st ruck against the better ruckmen, but Eagles dont have a dominant ruck).
sub- Sonsie
lucky - Marlion has been poor for a while now but they’ll play him.

Back