Votes: 59 25.9%
  • Daniel Rioli

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Jack Ross

Votes: 27 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

reckon chol's gotta go. nank played 90/10 ruck, chol in the lynch role. we're going with one ruck by the looks, with a mid to help out nank.

aarts i think must stay if fit because his workrate is top class. lambert mk.ii, if he can get a good pre-season. would drop castagna out of the three because i reckon daniel has been very solid in the last month.

i want rossy to stay but i think he'll get markov'd.

ideally:
in: prestia, lynch, bolton
out: ross :( , chol, castagna
rioli out

I heard Eddie was gonna drop a wig on Sidearse and claim he was Atu Bosenavulagi. Just a rumour.
Fine Cotton style. Maybe speak to the Waterhouses
Because Hardwick wants to fit in caddy and there are not many available spots.

With Astbury, balta can play more out of the defense for a few mins.

Chol hardly played ruck at all so we are essentially playing 1 ruck anyway

Back: Grimes. Vlastuin. Balta. Houli. Astbury. Baker. Short.

Mid: Cotchin. Martin. Prestia. Graham. Nank. Macca. Pickett.

Fwd. Jack. Lynch. Edwards. Lambert. Bolton. Rioli. Caddy. George

Harsh on Ross and aarts buts what can u do?
Maybe Noah plays on the fwd/2nd ruck ie. Ladhams, McInerney, Esava, Cox, Oscar Allen, and follows them into the ruck when they do their 5 mins.
All I can say is 2018.....it's pretty much ours to lose but one game where we don't show up from the beginning and things don't quite go our way and history could easily repeat. We have however increased our form level gradually to the finals this time whereas 2018 we had peaked too early.
I reckon in 2018 we played our best in JLT 1 against North. It was poetry in motion. By the end of H&A we struggling to beat Gee, Ess, WB, lapsing in games.
Pickett needs to stay in the team ... unfortunately Ross will have to make way for the Human Meatball
I’m worried about Bachar. Is presenting ok but his teammates seem to be avoiding him. He’s not touching it much and at the moment we wouldn’t miss him. It seems very obvious he isn’t being given the ball. Seems odd, really, but at the moment he could be in trouble.
Your right Chol was playing the Lynch role.However it's been a fair while where i seen a softer performance than his yesterday.We won't win the flag with him in the side.
He has a soft underbelly.
Egg says hi.

No disagreement here. Been my biggest criticism of Chol for a few years now in that he has all the attributes to be a good footballer, but is so timid when put under physical pressure which is what happens when he is asked to play as a KPF at AFL level. When he is used as the second ruck/3rd tall forward he plays much better as he usually gets an opponent who he can dominate physically with his athleticism so he gets his confidence up. So I expect when Lynch returns and Chol goes into the second ruck role he'll play much better
I'm in Chol stays camp too. Don't want to upset the back line changing Baltas role. I don't mind key fwds rucking.
2020 doesn't feel like we're getting through games uninjured. I'd rather carry Chol as insurance especially vs Lions or Port. We come up against the cats, maybe change the line up.

We've been without Astbury for a big part.Having him back does allows us to alter and lose nothing.

Based on the side I picked last night I break it down into the following areas:

Backs: Balta Astbury Grimes Vlastuin Houli Short Baker
Settled back 7 with a good understanding of their roles and how they structure up as a unit. Don't see us wanting to make unnecessary changes to this unit,

Mids: Martin Cotchin Edwards Graham Pickett McIntosh Bolton Lambert Prestia
Our most damaging midfield set up which has a perfect mix of ball winning and defensive accountability. Could possibly argue Caddy replaces one of Pickett or McIntosh, but I don't think Caddy is as defensively minded as the other 2 are.

Forwards: Riewoldt Lynch Rioli Castagna
Been our stock set up as a forward unit for 2 years now. Jack & Tom to contest the ball in the air and Rioli Castagna to put the heat on once the ball hits the ground which locks the ball inside 50 or causes rushed clearances from D50 by the opposition setting up repeat entries. Aarts has put the heat on Rioli & George in that small forwards role, but when it come to the crunch I reckon we'll stick with the proven performers.

Rucks: Nankervis Chol
Early in the year we tried to go back to the 2017 set up, but it clearly wasn't good enough and we quickly reverted to the 2 ruck set up. Firstly with Soldo & Chol, then Soldo & Nank. Haven't seen anything that suggests the 1 ruck option is viable as we were well beaten in around the ground stoppages against the bottom placed side when we didn't have a recognised ruck in the contest. Against the other finalists I can't see us trying to get through with just the one ruck as it will simply not work against the better midfield units in the heat of finals footy. Most teams worked out how to beat us in that structure.

Reckon Marlion has to stay. The way he lays tackles on the opposition is so ferocious, would have to be about the hardest hitter in our side. Bloke is built for finals

Had a quiet game possession-wise last night, but his 7 tackles speaks for itself - second only to Fridge. Both he and Kmac are a significant advantage as wingmen who can cover the miles, but also play very hard, tough, accountable football 1-on-1 and covering others.

No chance of getting dropped, IMO.

I just had the interesting experience of reading the Port thread on the game. One of their posters at some stage asked: "Is that the song from the camp?" This sent me down a rabbit hole in which the following reworking of the Jethro Tull classic, "songs from the Wood" was playing on repeat:

Let me bring you songs from the Bus
To make you feel much better than you could know
Dust you down from tip to toe
Show you how the garden grows
Hold you steady as you go
Join the chorus if you can:
It'll make of you an honest man

[Verse 2]
Let me bring you pain on the field:
Reinforce the losing stain
Infect the wound, increase the pain
Repeating again and again
As you drag down every footy lane
Richmond’s celebration's here
You can listen as their fans all cheer

[Verse 3]
Let me bring you all things refined:
Watch Dusty star and Texas fail
Greetings well met fellow, hail!
I am the wind to fill your sail
I am the cross to take your nail:
To commentate these painful times
With kitchen prose and gutter rhymes

Songs from the Bus - make you feel much better
Songs from the Bus!

Let me bring you loss on the field:
And follow with a crazy camp
Its memory will cause a cramp
That magnifies the failure stamp
You went in favourites like a champ.
Now listen to the Richmond tune!
In three years you will win the spoon

[Outro]
Songs from the Bus - make you feel much better
Songs from the Bus- make you feel much better

My gut is telling me we will be playing Port there week one.

Dunno about that, cap, I reckon they'll be extremely motivated to beat the scum, avoid copping us in the first week of finals and instead catch the Sandgropers out away from their comfort zone.

Our comfort zone these days is anywhere with goalposts. ;)

Broad to the rescue.
Agree

Agree, Caddy is a massive weapon come finals, play him out of the pocket ant our forward line would be unstoppable.
Caddy with the three smalls is Dimma's preference syrely. I can't see Aarts being dropped. I think we go one ruck with caddy and kmac supporting. Picket surely holds his wing. Chol and a very unlucky Ross to miss.

In: Lynch Prestia Bolton
Out: Chol Ross Caddy

B: Grimes Astbury Vlastuin
HB: Houli Balta Short
C: McIntosh Cotchin Pickett
HF: Martin Lynch Lambert
F: Castagna Riewoldt Rioli
R: Nankervis Prestia Edwards
IC: Graham Bolton Baker Aarts

Dusty to attend centre bounces, but play most of the game forward.

Balta to backup Nank in the ruck.

I can't find a spot for Caddy or Chol as the second ruck/third forward, as I think the three quick smalls are too important to our game, and all are hitting form now anyway (apart from George's goalkicking)

We'll need Balta down back as both Port & Lions have a couple of handy tall forward options as well.

As I said Chol was playing the Lynch role yesterday rather than the second ruck role. When Lynch returns it allows Chol to play a role better suited to him as he'll have a bit more freedom to move up the ground and get involved in the play more. If you look at Chols game yesterday and compare it to Lynchs typical game you'd see that they were quite similar in terms of getting to lots on contests and ensuring that at minimum bringing the ball to ground for the small guys to go to work.

When Lynch returns Chol becomes a mobile 3rd tall option that can stretch the opposition defence by getting up the ground and being an extra tall marking option down the line. As I said last night there will be come unlucky guys missing out next game as 25 doesn't go into 22.
Just can't see us not playing a dedicated second ruck

Well said on all points, RT.

An important aspect of team selection is contingency and we need to be prepared that if Nank goes down early in the game (just did a round of the house touching every wooden surface! ;)) Chol is easily the next best ruck option we have. That won't necessarily be about winning hitouts to advantage, but more a case of making sure the oppo rucks can't too easily out-leap our ruck and just put the ball wherever they like all game.

Marbs didn't have a great game last night, but either way today works out, we'll face a powerhouse clearance side who we really can't afford to just allow easy centre clearances against. We also need to be mindful of doing our utmost to keep Nank as fresh and fit as we possibly can.

Selection this week - and every week of finals - will be a massive headache and I feel for the blokes who cop that task, but if Marbs gets picked I'll fully understand why we've pulled that reign and I'll back the big fella to make his presence felt in all the right ways. His best half a dozen games this year were more than handy contributions and I don't see the sense in bagging him on the basis of one game played mostly as a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our best team would be:

Back: Grimes - Vlastuin - Balta - Houli - Astbury - Short

Mid: Nankervis - Cotchin - Martin - Prestia - Graham - Pickett

Fwd. Riewoldt - Lynch - Edwards - Lambert - Rioli -Castagna

Int : Baker - Bolton - Caddy - McIntosh

Emg : Ross - Aarts - Chol - Broad

I think weather & match ups will play a part in selections. If wet for example, probably more likely to go with Cads than Chol

Probably Chol, Ross unlucky.
Lynch, Prestia, return over time.
Bolton is the third to return, can't speculate who would be omitted, no one deserves to be.

Last edited:
That was a really good tune up for the finals. The Crows threw everything (literally) at us. That 5 minute period before half time was the most pressure we have received all year, and we were basically playing with them. The fall from grace for the Crows is complete. We broke them in 2017, and handed the wooden spoon to them in 2020. God help the club we play in the GF. We cannot carry Chol into a finals campaign if he is unwilling to put his body on the line. We had a distinct advantage in forward 50 entries, only to see the ball leave as quickly as it came in. Chol looked completely out of his depth. This was his opportunity and he didn't take full advantage of it.

Graham's inside work was outstanding. There was a couple contests where he could not be tackled and he made really good decisions with ball in hand. Titch was sublime. Something always happens when he has the ball. So creative and sees things mortals do not. Astbury did not miss a beat. It is like he has been in top form playing all games. Amazing preparation for both these guys to slot in and be in the best players. Aarts is starting to remind me of Butler in full flight, but Aarts does not run into trouble like Butler did. Covered a huge amount of territory, and was rewarded with a very solid game. Vlastuin is AA quality and with Grimes in top form, Astbury back, Balta another scalp and Short / Baker running rebounders, our back 6 with Houli are going to be impenetrable. The only way we can be scored against seems to be from a free kick or centre bounce where the 666 rule impedes our best setup. There will always be fluke goals kicked against us - there's no way of stopping them.

Dusty was surely trolling Crows. Four out of bounds is Dangerfield territory. It was funny to see, as ws the two contested marks - one right at the end with left two crows winded.. Just another day at the office for Dusty. Caddy stays in the side. Leave him in the pocket, even as a diversion for Lynch and Jack, he is still a strong and smart player in the forward line, as opposed to the wing, where he is not suited.

When we were crap, we could always blame everyone but ourselves and especially the umpires. Now that we are successful, the blatant cheating is even worse. As usual, I had no trouble with 90% of the frees to the Crows, but FFS, the amount of times they were caught and we were unrewarded is comical and in my view - is an effort to keep games close instead of officiate to the rules. Thankfully, as per every year we play finals, this discrepancy is almost reversed for the finals as the crap umpires don't officiate. I'm looking forward to a fair finals campaign.

Arrogance ? I don't care who or where we play in the first final. Bears are our bitches and would be crapping themselves already, and Port are the worst ladder leaders for quite some time. If we head over to moron park again, we will have a full side, and a weeks break rather than 2 X 4 day breaks. Confident that at this point in time, it is our flag to lose, and I can't see that happening.

Out - Chol, Ross (stiff)
In - Bolton, Lynch

If Prestia proves his fitness, and Aarts / Caddy are injured, then one of them out.

Given Caddy was playing off the wing prior to his knee injury suggest he isn't in Dimmas plans for the finals series as Pickett and McIntosh have the position secured. The only way he stays is if they decide to play him a third tall and give Lynch/Jack brief stints in the ruck when Nank rest dropping Chol in the process.

As for Chol he could survive on the basis he was playing Lynch's role yesterday opposed to the role of the second ruck, however his overall game was severely lacking for someone fighting for their spot in a finals side. Would rather experiment Broad in a back up ruck role around the ground with Balta potentially taking the center bounces if Nank is off the ground. I would rather leave Balta settled in the backline but I think he is better insurance policy for Nank should he get injured than what Chol would be, Broad could then take Balta position in the backline should it come to it.

Ross is going to be unlucky again. He has seemingly turned the corner from his earlier season form where he looked to be moving in quick sand compared to his movement the past two weeks. Unfortunately for him the guys coming back into the side are simply better than him.

Depending on what happens with the ruck situation i.e do we go with 2 or have Nank go solo, a decision is going to have to be made on Aarts, Rioli and Castagna should we go with 2 rucks. If we don't go with two rucks than the changes should everyone be available are pretty evident Lynch for Chol, Bolton for Caddy and Prestia for Ross and all three smalls with survive but if we go with 2 rucks than I don't see any other position in the team being in vulnerable so we can fit the returning players.

Great to have the week off to sort out some of the niggles. Caddy will turn it on for finals again I reckon. When will Prestia be ready?

Chol and Ross obvious outs for me, but not sure who else for Lynch, Bolton and Prestia if he's ready.

Also, I deserve a vote for getting in the last post

View attachment 965492
Chol easy out for lynch the other 2 for Prestia and Bolton much harder. Think it will be 2 of Caddy, Pickett and Ross.

Back