Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Best 5 vs Freo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our biggest problem on Sunday was lack of run and grunt in the middle. Mcauliff and Smith will help. Need to move Pickett on. Constantly fumbling and slipping over costs us
He's not really cooked. i believe his mind is elswhere that's affecting his football, it's his pending court case that's doing him in atm.

He's not really cooked. i believe his mind is elswhere that's affecting his football, it's his pending court case that's doing him in atm.
Shouldn't be playing then. Was dropped last game last year and that should've been a warning to him he wasn't best 23. Unfortunately with all the injuries and lots of other subpar performers he still trots around. Standards at the club are at an all time low atm and we need a review asap.

i only rate one of those 5 midfielders as most are cooked or just not good enough, but that's your opinion.
Regardless of how you rate them, if they were all fit or even 3 of them fit, Dusty would be playing forward and Pickett would be on a wing or out of the side.

If the only other legit midfielder we have on the list in McAuliffe played in the centre and Dusty stayed forward, up against the best clearance side in the comp would've been a 100 point loss.

Regardless of how you rate them, if they were all fit or even 3 of them fit, Dusty would be playing forward and Pickett would be on a wing or out of the side.

If the only other legit midfielder we have on the list in McAuliffe played in the centre and Dusty stayed forward, up against the best clearance side in the comp would've been a 100 point loss.
Spot on, only so much one can do with the amount of players that are unavailable.

Dusty playing forward is still irrelevant as when he went there on Sunday he was left for dead and couldn't add anything and not even the basic a bit of defensive pressure. Pickett lol adds nothing as his disposal kills any iota of good work he does. Your last sentence you lost me as how did you come up with that concept?
You are like many on here that being in overrating our list and that's why we need a massive clean out and invest in the next 2-3 drafts and trade the faux par footballers out so we can get a good price for minus Rioli and delist any list clogger .

Yep. If we need a seventh defender I think he's the one.
There's ALWAYS a seventh defender. Every single game there is a defender starting on the nench. Unless you expect all six defenders on the ground to play 100% of game time every single game ??

If we had a perfect world scenario and we had everyone fit, Grimes, Prestia and one of Pickett of K Mac wouldn't be in my best 22. Would rather Hugo be given a shot, Dow/Sonsie/McCauliffe to be given a shot and Trezise over Grimes. Unfortunately we don't live in that world.
How tall is Trezise ? Surely he's not big enough to be a key defender/third tall to replace Grimes ?

How tall is Trezise ? Surely he's not big enough to be a key defender/third tall to replace Grimes ?
He's 5cm shorter than Grimes and doesn't need to actually play tall, but he can bc he's got more spring than Grimes. Grimes did his best work on oppo small men, so James would give us both options.

This is the thing. Grimes, Broad, Young and Miller, even Vlastuin to a point play a zone so can all go to each others opponent. Brown is almost tall enough, but Trezise is not really. He is good in the air and tough, so still in the mix. Bauer might be a wild card if he comes on. Almost ready for VFL action, or is he still a week away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty playing forward is still irrelevant as when he went there on Sunday he was left for dead and couldn't add anything and not even the basic a bit of defensive pressure. Pickett lol adds nothing as his disposal kills any iota of good work he does. Your last sentence you lost me as how did you come up with that concept?
You are like many on here that being in overrating our list and that's why we need a massive clean out and invest in the next 2-3 drafts and trade the faux par footballers out so we can get a good price for minus Rioli and delist any list clogger .
Why do you over complicate everything and ramble on every post?

Pickett and Dusty played midfield out of necessity due to injury. That's all.

Why do you over complicate everything and ramble on every post?

Pickett and Dusty played midfield out of necessity due to injury. That's all.
Rubbish you are not seeing the simplicity of my argument. It's irrelevant where you play those 2 guys now as Pickett is done and Dusty still has it when he has a bit of space, but he dies off rapidly and even when in the FL he's exposed for speed. Do you actually watch games ?
Kmac 2 playing would not have made us lose by over 100 as you say bc i think it would've possibly improved us Sonsie came in and was our best mid by a mile. Your unfound comment is telling the football world that KMAC2 couldn't have done any better than Dow( who on his thread called him a list clogger), Campbell or even if he started sub better than the Carpenter. Absolute nonsense TT.

Rubbish you are not seeing the simplicity of my argument. It's irrelevant where you play those 2 guys now as Pickett is done and Dusty still has it when he has a bit of space, but he dies off rapidly and even when in the FL he's exposed for speed. Do you actually watch games ?
Kmac 2 playing would not have made us lose by over 100 as you say bc i think it would've possibly improved us Sonsie came in and was our best mid by a mile. Your unfound comment is telling the football world that KMAC2 couldn't have done any better than Dow( who on his thread called him a list clogger), Campbell or even if he started sub better than the Carpenter. Absolute nonsense TT.
Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

If you retire them all at once you end up with disaster like the Hawks

Castagna Cotch Riewoldt Tarrant last year

Caddy Edwards Lambert 2022

Astbury Houli 2021

That's a pretty good turn over of older premier players without killing the team

I guess Grimes Macca Prestia this year
Half of them injury retirements.

Sadly our 30 year olds play like 50 year olds. Seem to hit the wall quickly, a la Dusty this year. Jack R last year.

If Prestia, can stay injury free the rest of the year he probs gets another year. Be interesting to see Lynch play again. If he copped another injury he might retire.

See how the team plays with the best available on the field.

There might be more trading out this year. Baker, Graham, Broad etc.

Seems like Yze is brave enough to have KMac SUB, surely thats a sign he's been by passed.

Grimes a candidate for sure.

Half of them injury retirements.

Sadly our 30 year olds play like 50 year olds. Seem to hit the wall quickly, a la Dusty this year. Jack R last year.

If Prestia, can stay injury free the rest of the year he probs gets another year. Be interesting to see Lynch play again. If he copped another injury he might retire.

See how the team plays with the best available on the field.

There might be more trading out this year. Baker, Graham, Broad etc.

Seems like Yze is brave enough to have KMac SUB, surely thats a sign he's been by passed.

Grimes a candidate for sure.
PRESTIA IS RETIRING.

Grimes is old, and ****ed and can’t get a ball below the knees. Why invest time into a player who is retiring at years end versus possibly the next 10 year player. Broad can do his role piss easy. And Gibcus hopefully can return from injury next season as well. Grimes spot is well and truly covered.

So without Pickett, who would you have played and what changes would you prefer to see? Essentially looking at the list in its current shape.

If McAulife is the answer then we are just throwing the kid to the wolves. Very High risk High reward type deal as he gets experience a lot earlier but you could also start to entrench bad habits without any leaders or you end up just ruining him as he starts to lose faith in his abilities.

Cumberland hasn't had a good run in the 2's the last few weeks but he could come into the side to move Dusty up to play 60% game time through the Middle. It could work as we get to move a very experienced Martin into the guts where the most experienced permanent mid there is Dow.

I know Yze doesnt want to "Look to the past" but maybe whilst Meehan is running around with a crowbar, we could bring in a Smith (who has been going nicely in the HB) or a Trezis to take over the Short role and inject him into the midfield. Hell he could do rotations with Dan in the midfield to get some extra speed around the contest when Shai has to rest forward.

I get that Pickett and McIntosh are spuds that no one wants picked at the moment but we do need to try and keep some experience in the side for just a pure learning point of view.

As I have said constantly this year, I am really really impressed by the way our kids are putting in the effort. I would hazard a guess that Clarkson watches our games and wishes the extremely talented <25 players he had would show even 35% of the fight and effort our kids are putting in. From the Umpiring point of view I just lose my s**t when I see effort unrewarded and protection not given.

There's ALWAYS a seventh defender. Every single game there is a defender starting on the nench. Unless you expect all six defenders on the ground to play 100% of game time every single game ??
You woke from your nap cranky today.

People who are "pLaY aLl Da KiDz heck U kMaC" only want to see the upside without any potential downside. They want to see McAuliffe have 18 nice touches, Cumberland kick 3, Tresize with 8 intercepts and Smith to have 9 Rebound 50s. The reality is we'll get 1 of those games for every 18 beltings we cop, at which point those same supporters will still be sinking the boots into the players, the coach or both.

Yes our games look ugly right now, but it's far more important for our young players to learn to how to compete and play in games that actually have a bit of pressure in them. You can sort gameplan specifics out later once they are actually mature enough to compute that stuff without worrying about getting a kick first. I liked what Yze said after the Freo game, that we come to games expecting to win. Yes it might a bit of front for the media and inside he's probably more realistic, but countless other coaches in the same position have foregone competitiveness for the sake of "learning the gameplan" or whatever else and actually stated that publicly too. It means that from early on in your career you're turning up expecting to get belted for the sake of a couple of nice looking handball chains and in my opinion that is a bad environment to be demanding development in, no matter the apparent positives you can offer up. The good looking piece of play where you get to shout "there's our future!!!!!" only happens when you're 73 points down and the oppo have stopped trying anyway.

For instance I would much rather have Pickett tagging Petracca and curb his influence (as he did), allowing us to stay in the game for longer, rather than have Sonsie stand next to him and get physically assaulted at every contest as he runs around for 38 touches and 2 goals. He can learn just as much and probably more by watching a senior player compete with the best. If you let your young players continually get their ass handed to them then it stops being development and becomes confidence crushing pretty quickly.

So without Pickett, who would you have played and what changes would you prefer to see? Essentially looking at the list in its current shape.

If McAulife is the answer then we are just throwing the kid to the wolves. Very High risk High reward type deal as he gets experience a lot earlier but you could also start to entrench bad habits without any leaders or you end up just ruining him as he starts to lose faith in his abilities.

Cumberland hasn't had a good run in the 2's the last few weeks but he could come into the side to move Dusty up to play 60% game time through the Middle. It could work as we get to move a very experienced Martin into the guts where the most experienced permanent mid there is Dow.

I know Yze doesnt want to "Look to the past" but maybe whilst Meehan is running around with a crowbar, we could bring in a Smith (who has been going nicely in the HB) or a Trezis to take over the Short role and inject him into the midfield. Hell he could do rotations with Dan in the midfield to get some extra speed around the contest when Shai has to rest forward.

I get that Pickett and McIntosh are spuds that no one wants picked at the moment but we do need to try and keep some experience in the side for just a pure learning point of view.

As I have said constantly this year, I am really really impressed by the way our kids are putting in the effort. I would hazard a guess that Clarkson watches our games and wishes the extremely talented <25 players he had would show even 35% of the fight and effort our kids are putting in. From the Umpiring point of view I just lose my s**t when I see effort unrewarded and protection not given.
Cumberland could’ve played instead of Pickett as we needed a genuine forward. I’m having lunch with my dear auntie so I’ll answer rest later.

Short played quite well as a mid 2 seasons ago. Copped a bit of flak as usual but he got the ball and is quick of either foot to roost it forward, so that's half the problem. Smith is going to be good and is being wasted down in the VFL, he was ready for senior action weeks ago.

Back