Discussion Rooey gets no love from the umps

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
I'm sure other people have made the same statement but it just gets me every single week how badly St Nick gets treated by the umps. Seriously at least 20 times every game in a marking contest he gets pulled, pushed in the back, pushed under the ball, has his arms chopped, dragged down and a host of other things and unless he gets decapitated or maimed he gets very few free kicks.

There are certain forwards out there (who shall remain nameless) that continue to get soft free kicks every week while guys like Rooey, Brad Johnson, Johnny Brown and Fev get scragged and receive very little for their efforts.

I think that his courage and his skills have given the umpires an out-clause to say "well he didn't mark it so that must be his fault."

I don't think that he complains too much so the umps can't have anything against him, so why does he not get the frees that he deserves? And I am sure that defenders come into the game knowing that they can get away with a little bit more against him so they can push the envelope.

Am I just crying wolf here or does everyone else think the same thing?

It's funny how supporters of other clubs hold the opposite view, yet i couldn't agree more. They all complain about how he gets so many free kicks, yet gives away so many. They don't understand that riewoldt plays the game perfectly. The way he plays, it is almost impossiblt to give away free kicks, leading out to the ball and marking it at its highest point. Players are forced to resort to nudging him in the back, holding him to slow him down, or taking out his arms. If he got every free kick a Matthew Lloyd would get, he would be leading the coleman. But I think he does complain to the umpires a bit, it would explain why he doesn't poll in the brownlow year in year out.

We've discussed it many times Stinger. It seems the only way most defenders can spoil Rooey is illegally, due to his pace, extreme work-rate and enormous leap. As evidenced by his free-kick count, he's not doing too badly...but having said that, if the umps policed the "chopping the arms" and "hands in the back" rule more diligently, Rooey would/should recieve twice as many free kicks

Yeah, sometimes it seems like it's acceptable to infringe Roo when he's going for a mark. It has to be an extreme case to be picked up. Tunnelling no longer gets picked up - Raph should have been pinged yesterday for an obvious tunnelling spoil. I guess with Roo the umps let most go, otherwise they'd be paying a free each time the ball comes down into the forward line. Then Eddie McChins will get on his soapbox and seek approval from the AFL to get Roo's hands strapped to his sides and get Saints to redesign their jumper.

Yeah, sometimes it seems like it's acceptable to infringe Roo when he's going for a mark. It has to be an extreme case to be picked up. Tunnelling no longer gets picked up - Raph should have been pinged yesterday for an obvious tunnelling spoil. I guess with Roo the umps let most go, otherwise they'd be paying a free each time the ball comes down into the forward line. Then Eddie McChins will get on his soapbox and seek approval from the AFL to get Roo's hands strapped to his sides and get Saints to redesign their jumper.

Well if the backmen are infringing everytime then ping them everytime. They will soon get the message and stop doing it. Then Rooey will show them how hard it is to stop him legally.

You can't penalise a guy for being too good or working too hard, can you?

I'm sure other people have made the same statement but it just gets me every single week how badly St Nick gets treated by the umps. Seriously at least 20 times every game in a marking contest he gets pulled, pushed in the back, pushed under the ball, has his arms chopped, dragged down and a host of other things and unless he gets decapitated or maimed he gets very few free kicks.

There are certain forwards out there (who shall remain nameless) that continue to get soft free kicks every week while guys like Rooey, Brad Johnson, Johnny Brown and Fev get scragged and receive very little for their efforts.

I think that his courage and his skills have given the umpires an out-clause to say "well he didn't mark it so that must be his fault."

I don't think that he complains too much so the umps can't have anything against him, so why does he not get the frees that he deserves? And I am sure that defenders come into the game knowing that they can get away with a little bit more against him so they can push the envelope.

Am I just crying wolf here or does everyone else think the same thing?

what a laugh!!!!

surely you are yet to take off your saints coloured glasses. this is one of the funniest things i have ever read...

what a laugh!!!!

surely you are yet to take off your saints coloured glasses. this is one of the funniest things i have ever read...
Says the Bombers supporter who enjoys seeing Lloyd getting frees for being looked at funny.

this is one of the funniest things i have ever read...

You don't get out much, do you? :eek:

Coming from an Essendon supporter too - one of the biggest collective group of sqealers on this earth.

C'mon guys - Roo's doing much better this year, averaging a whole 1.4 frees a game versus 1.3 last year!

Or do you think that a guy who averages 10 marks and five scoring shots a game might be infringed just a little more than that?

Could be worse - he could be Milne (8 for, 15 against) or Blakey (9 for, 20 against).

what a laugh!!!!

lloyd falls over more than a NTTAWWT in an mardi gra orgy, Dons supporters should be last to comment. oh yeah whats with throwing up the grass before a shot inside the dome? thats smart.

roo and for that matter bj are seen as sooks and get no love from the umps and that is also why they dont poll well in the brownlow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

roo and for that matter bj are seen as sooks and get no love from the umps and that is also why they dont poll well in the brownlow
Goddard is an angry ant and he does get in the umpys ears a bit so I can see why they don't always like him but Rooey hardly ever complains and when he does it usually is with good reason.

I just think they need to protect him a little bit more than they do.

PS...what happened to the Geelong idiots post?

The Voldt doesn't get nearly enough free kicks.. as you've said, he's a pure footballer and athlete. It'd be hard to continually spoil him as opposition players do unless infringing.. how many contested marks have you seen fists actually punching the ball away?.. It seems that if you can keep the pace with him and pretty much mirror his jump, keep your arms up and fall into the back of him, its ok.. its almost a case of not going for the spoil legitimises making contact because its deemed a marking contest... regardless of in the back or chopping the arms...

The Voldt doesn't get nearly enough free kicks.. as you've said, he's a pure footballer and athlete. It'd be hard to continually spoil him as opposition players do unless infringing.. how many contested marks have you seen fists actually punching the ball away?.. It seems that if you can keep the pace with him and pretty much mirror his jump, keep your arms up and fall into the back of him, its ok.. its almost a case of not going for the spoil legitimises making contact because its deemed a marking contest... regardless of in the back or chopping the arms...
That's probably the best explanation of it I have seen. The way to get around the free kick is to pretend to be going for the mark and then at the last second whack his arms or smash into him.

Umps have got to be more vigilant on that tactic.

Plenty things wrong with the current umpiring system (like shepherding the ball through for a goal after introudcing the ruling to stop people shepherding off the ball for instance) and there are far more forwards who do get a rough time as well, I was more worried and concerned when the tunneling was its highest point since, with someone like Rooey, there is serious concern for damage to happen. Ultimately though, a backmans job is hard enough as it is and forwards really do have it easy, sure I agree at times there are some that are not called, but it's quite minimal and not just specific to Roo.

good im sick of geelong and damos11 is a good mate and a good bloke but hes a filthy sook one eyed geelong moron who is still cyring about round 14 he thinks gardiners mark was touched

no. treated like nearly all forwards. have to say everytime he gets contact in the back he goes down like he has been shot though

While I do believe that Riewoldt is entitled to be ranked as the No. 1 player in 2009, there is not much to complain about with his umpire treatment.

As a comparison, Brad Johnson, who is often accused of playing for free kicks, has been heavily involved in the play consistently, with more possessions, more tackles and more inside 50's but a negative free kick count (0.7 for 1.2 ag) compared to Nick's positive count (1.4 for 0.5 ag)

Hoping the Saints are a bit tired for this week.

While I do believe that Riewoldt is entitled to be ranked as the No. 1 player in 2009, there is not much to complain about with his umpire treatment.

As a comparison, Brad Johnson, who is often accused of playing for free kicks, has been heavily involved in the play consistently, with more possessions, more tackles and more inside 50's but a negative free kick count (0.7 for 1.2 ag) compared to Nick's positive count (1.4 for 0.5 ag)

Hoping the Saints are a bit tired for this week.
I mention in the first post that Johnson is one of the group of forwards that gets a raw deal from the umpires. It seems the guys who work the hardest are the ones who get the worst of the umpiring for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back