Rookie Pick 26 (2016) - Brett Eddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh I won't be happy until I see heads roll for the debacle that has been our forward line for several years now.

Matthew Nicks, how is it possible you still have a job moite?

We've changed forward coach every year. It isn't all the line coaches fault. The one constant is Ken.

Sent from mTalk

He certainly fell out of favour very quickly.

Surely we'd give him more than one year to prove himself.

It's almost like there's something other than football that is the issue.

If he was 22 then i'd see the merit in keeping him. He's about to turn 28. I'd rather give that game time to Marshall, Frampton, Howard etc.

I think its pretty clear he won't be here next year. Its a shame it didnt work out but I think many have overrated his potential influence and overrated his performances at the start of the year.
I think you are wrong Mr Macca. I think the coaches have underrated his potential influence.
We have stuffed around with a squared wheel forward line most of the year. Eddy would have been influential.
I suppose everybody has their own idea of 'influential' but Eddy would have kicked 30 goals if he had been given a chance.

Of all the frustrating, rage-inducing, and ridiculous things our club has done this year, its treatment of Eddy stands out for me.

• We acquire Eddy - a mature, ready-made forward who has proven his quality and his value over successive seasons in the SANFL and VFL. Finally, we appear to have someone capable of assisting Dixon.

• In the first JLT Community Series game, Eddy is brought on for the second half and scores three behinds. It is his first game, so he is cut some slack.

• In the second JLT Community Series game, where our effort and skills appear average at best, Eddy scores one goal and two behinds from 63% time on ground. This performance is on par with Dixon, and better than Trengove.

• In the third JLT Community Series game, Eddy scores five goals and four behinds from fifteen kicks and 75% time on ground. Only after this performance is he guaranteed a place in our round one side.

• We debut Eddy in round one, against Sydney in Sydney, and afford him just 62% time on ground. He is immediately dropped after failing to score. He blew the opportunity our coach couldn't deny him, but probably would have.

• The following week, Eddy earns a late and unexpected recall. In his first home game, from 66% time on ground, he collects ten kicks, two goals, two goal assists, and three behinds. He survives at the selection table.

• Against Adelaide, Eddy is afforded 51% time on ground and scores one goal from seven disposals. He could have had two goals if a teammate *cough* Impey *cough* had not lead their opponent directly into his path. Only two other goals were scored by tall forwards that night - one each to Dixon and Westhoff, who were afforded 91% and 89% time on ground respectively - but Eddy was seemingly held to a different set of standards. Dropped, and never recalled.

Eighteen weeks after being dropped, Eddy now leads the Ken Farmer medal with a club and league-high fifty goals. Throughout that time, we have persisted with the following 'forwards' at AFL level:

• Jarman Impey (12 disposals, 0.8 goals, and 0.7 behinds) for eighteen more games.
• Jackson Trengove (13.1 disposals, 0.9 goals, and 0.6 behinds) for seventeen more games.
• Aaron Young (12.1 disposals, 0.8 goals, and 0.8 behinds) for ten more games, after being dropped and recalled on three separate occasions.
• Jake Neade (14.4 disposals, 0.8 goals, and 0.3 behinds) for two more games.
• With guest appearances from Aidyn Johnson, Matt White, Sam Gray, and Travis Boak.

'His defensive pressure isn't...'

'His fitness isn't...'

'His attitude isn't...'

'He isn't doing...'

'He was recruited as a backup...'

#&%@ off. This club doesn't deserve him.

I think you are wrong Mr Macca. I think the coaches have underrated his potential influence.
We have stuffed around with a squared wheel forward line most of the year. Eddy would have been influential.
I suppose everybody has their own idea of 'influential' but Eddy would have kicked 30 goals if he had been given a chance.

I reckon the too old bit isn't really a problem either, didn't the Pod play in a flag at geebung when he was nudging, or may have even been on the wrong side of 30?
Even if he wasn't quite that old he didn't get a crack at AFL until he was in his late 20's.
Barring another serious injury I suspect Eddy has at least 3 seasons left in him in top level footy.

Of all the frustrating, rage-inducing, and ridiculous things our club has done this year, its treatment of Eddy stands out for me.

• We acquire Eddy - a mature, ready-made forward who has proven his quality and his value over successive seasons in the SANFL and VFL. Finally, we appear to have someone capable of assisting Dixon.

• In the first JLT Community Series game, Eddy is brought on for the second half and scores three behinds. It is his first game, so he is cut some slack.

• In the second JLT Community Series game, where our effort and skills appear average at best, Eddy scores one goal and two behinds from 63% time on ground. This performance is on par with Dixon, and better than Trengove.

• In the third JLT Community Series game, Eddy scores five goals and four behinds from fifteen kicks and 75% time on ground. Only after this performance is he guaranteed a place in our round one side.

• We debut Eddy in round one, against Sydney in Sydney, and afford him just 62% time on ground. He is immediately dropped after failing to score. He blew the opportunity our coach couldn't deny him, but probably would have.

• The following week, Eddy earns a late and unexpected recall. In his first home game, from 66% time on ground, he collects ten kicks, two goals, two goal assists, and three behinds. He survives at the selection table.

• Against Adelaide, Eddy is afforded 51% time on ground and scores one goal from seven disposals. He could have had two goals if a teammate *cough* Impey *cough* had not lead their opponent directly into his path. Only two other goals were scored by tall forwards that night - one each to Dixon and Westhoff, who were afforded 91% and 89% time on ground respectively - but Eddy was seemingly held to a different set of standards. Dropped, and never recalled.

Eighteen weeks after being dropped, Eddy now leads the Ken Farmer medal with a club and league-high fifty goals. Throughout that time, we have persisted with the following 'forwards' at AFL level:

• Jarman Impey (12 disposals, 0.8 goals, and 0.7 behinds) for eighteen more games.
• Jackson Trengove (13.1 disposals, 0.9 goals, and 0.6 behinds) for seventeen more games.
• Aaron Young (12.1 disposals, 0.8 goals, and 0.8 behinds) for ten more games, after being dropped and recalled on three separate occasions.
• With guest appearances from Aidyn Johnson, Matt White, Sam Gray, and Travis Boak.

'His fitness isn't...'

'His attitude isn't...'

'He isn't doing...'

Great analysis. It's very sad! Could it be that we needed to find a role for Trengove so we could justify re-signing him after he showed himself a capable back up ruck and defender, but there was no space for him.

If he was 22 then i'd see the merit in keeping him. He's about to turn 28. I'd rather give that game time to Marshall, Frampton, Howard etc.

Totally disagree. None of those guys were deemed ready until round 21/22. There were 16 rounds after round 3 where he could have been played and taken some pressure off Dixon and given us some proper forward structure and nous. s**t he might have even made a go of it given the chance. Instead Hinkley decided to our back up ruckman/KPB as a makeshift forward or sat a 5 foot 7 Sam Gray at Full Forward. It's a fact that in 3 of our top 5/6 performances of the year, Brett Eddy was in the team.

I reckon the too old bit isn't really a problem either, didn't the Pod play in a flag at geebung when he was nudging, or may have even been on the wrong side of 30?
Even if he wasn't quite that old he didn't get a crack at AFL until he was in his late 20's.
Barring another serious injury I suspect Eddy has at least 3 seasons left in him in top level footy.

Podsiadly kicked 49 goals in his first year including 4 bags of 5 in his first 7 games. He took 22 marks in his first 2 games.

Eddy had zero impact in 2 games, and kicked a couple against a truly terrible Fremantle outfit. He took 3 marks in his first 2 games.

Chalk and cheese.

It's a fact that in 3 of our top 5/6 performances of the year, Brett Eddy was in the team.

I wouldnt have us losing to Adelaide or beating a shithouse Fremantle in our top 5-6 performances of the year.

Podsiadly kicked 49 goals in his first year including 4 bags of 5 in his first 7 games. He took 22 marks in his first 2 games.

Eddy had zero impact in 2 games, and kicked a couple against a truly terrible Fremantle outfit. He took 3 marks in his first 2 games.

Chalk and cheese.

Yes, comparing a prime Geelong to Port is chalk and cheese.

JPod only got recruited because Hawkins had stagnated. He was always surplus to needs and they knew they'd be right without him but it couldn't hurt to give him a go, and he seized it.

We have missed finals for two seasons, just made it in this year by two wins, and everything forward of centre has been our Achilles heel. Eddy was dropped after two games where Dixon was able get off the chain and one loss against the minor premier, but overall were three consistent weeks. After this he was dominant in the twos while the first team yoyo'd around for the rest of the year with attacking issues still our main concern and never even got a look in again.

We stopped him like we have a host of better options. We don't. It was negligence.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

'His fitness isn't...'

'His attitude isn't...'

'He isn't doing...'

This post is better than a million SPP gifs. It should be stapled to Ken Hinkley's head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get the Eddy love. He's a great SANFL player but ranks behind Trengove, Marshall, Westhoff and Howard as a KPF.

What Ken has to answer was why Trengove was persisted with for so long, as a KPF, despite it clearly not working. Marshall wasn't ready and Howard was finding his feet post his injury. Sure Westhoff should have been given the role until Howard or Marshall was ready.

I am becoming more and more convinced that they have Eddy just so we can win a SANFL flag.
Wish they would at least give him one more game this year in the AFL to give him something to work towards during the off season

Brett has deserved to be treated a lot better by our "selectors". It is a complete no brainer for him to be currently in the Power side. As previously mentioned in the Port v Norwood thread, 2 of his 3 goals in the 3rd quarter were just sublime, as it showed that he has a football brain along with an ability to kick a football. The club's treatment of him by our selectors for this season has been a complete fiasco. Ken and his bloody gold passes!!

I know a few freo guys as I have an ex port player staying with me, until he finds his feet, who has quite a few freo mates. Most of my sources re freo are pretty good but this one was very general.

but the buzz has it freo are not just looking for long term players to develop but would consider cheap mature players to plug gaps and stop the blow outs whilst rebuilding. Trengove's name was mentioned as the type of player they'd look at but was mentioned as "type" or "scenario" rather than specifically.

I don't get the Eddy love. He's a great SANFL player but ranks behind Trengove, Marshall, Westhoff and Howard as a KPF.

What Ken has to answer was why Trengove was persisted with for so long, as a KPF, despite it clearly not working. Marshall wasn't ready and Howard was finding his feet post his injury. Sure Westhoff should have been given the role until Howard or Marshall was ready.

Not sure what your point is here. How can he be behind Trengove when he clearly isn't a forward and you lament the coaches for trying to turn him into one?

Clearly he's not behind Westhoff (who isn't playing forward) and Howard (who isn't playing forward anymore either)

I know a few freo guys as I have an ex port player staying with me, until he finds his feet, who has quite a few freo mates. Most of my sources re freo are pretty good but this one was very general.

but the buzz has it freo are not just looking for long term players to develop but would consider cheap mature players to plug gaps and stop the blow outs whilst rebuilding. Trengove's name was mentioned as the type of player they'd look at but was mentioned as "type" or "scenario" rather than specifically.
mmm..interesting. He wouldn't be a cheap player though if it were a Jacko type. I guess there's also AhChee who is from WA.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eddy rewarded with another opportunity this week. His SANFL form over the past 3 weeks is pretty hard to ignore. Personally I'd like to see him come in for Marshall - whilst he (Marshall) showed some definite potential in Saturdays game he looks like he needs a bit more development and a few extra kg on him (reminds me of a baby giraffe at the moment).

I think its pretty clear he won't be here next year. Its a shame it didnt work out but I think many have overrated his potential influence and overrated his performances at the start of the year.
Such nonsense from someone who clearly doesn't watch him play.

Not sure what your point is here. How can he be behind Trengove when he clearly isn't a forward and you lament the coaches for trying to turn him into one?

Clearly he's not behind Westhoff (who isn't playing forward) and Howard (who isn't playing forward anymore either)

Trengove isn't an AFL standard forward but Eddy isn't AFL standard. I guess that's why Trengove gets the nod, ahead of Eddy, by Ken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back