Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianSpeaking

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2007
@BigFootyBrian
AFL Club
St Kilda
This will come out in the press tomorrow, our Ross is being HEAVILY courted by Melbourne, with 5 year $5 million dollar deal. He is contracted until the end of next year, what will the Saints offer as a counter?

I heard this on One Week at a Time.

He's under contract, I'd think he'll coach out this year, and decide on his future next year. If he goes next year, I couldn't begrudge him for what he's done.

I don't think he'll go to Melbourne. We'd have to release him from his contract, wouldn't we, which won't happen.

Would be absolutely gutted if he went. Would be a bigger loss than any single player leaving our club... and we wouldn't get any compensation.

I'm not sure if Ross wants a 5-year deal, but it's a lot of money. I feel that if we offered something in that ballpark for 2 years (say $800k a year) he'd stay.

He will be rapt, surely the Saints will counter with a nice sweetener, after all, if he wants to go for the $$$, you would have to let him go as you want a 100% committed coach, which I am sure he will be at St Kilda next year, albeit better paid than before the Demons jumped on his bandwagon :)

Article has no mention at all about any offer. its just Mike Sheahan trying to make up a story.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ld-get-ross-lyon/story-fn7shz1t-1226119956758

St Kilda is willing to extend - with conditions. Lyon's management apparently is willing to recommit - with fewer conditions.

he is under contract for 2012, but there is an industry understanding the contract contains the "Mark Thompson exit clause", which allows the coach to walk away on three months' notice, as Thompson did at Geelong 12 months ago.

While the likelihood is Lyon and St Kilda will continue together in 2012, it's not a lock.

According to Garry Lyon on Footy Classified Melbourne have just decided on a panel that will choose their next coach. Wouldn't that make the rumour false?

EDIT: I take that back because once it was put to Lyon towards the end of the show he didn't exactly deny that an offer was put to Ross.

Too right. Melbourne should be after him. He's the best in the biz. Of course, I reckon there's no chance he'll leave for a club more poorly resourced than the Saints.

Nevertheless, someone from the Saints should pop around there with a crowbar and a carload full of cash and get this deal done.

Ross Lyon was considering walking out on the Saints in February this year because he no longer believed he could take the club to a flag. He was also tired of the scandals - it was reported by Mark McClure and a few others earlier this season.

Does anyone believe this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon was considering walking out on the Saints in February this year because he no longer believed he could take the club to a flag. He was also tired of the scandals - it was reported by Mark McClure and a few others earlier this season.

Mark McClure is an a grade flog, so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

Isn't there a rule about too many Lyons in one club?

I dont necessarily believe it but stranger things have happened.
The worst thing would be that if he had an offer now, and announced it at the end of the season/finals campaign it wouldn't leave much time to arrange a decent replacement for drafting/preseason etc.
I guess if worse came to worse we could grab Rodney Eade for a year.

( Tim Watson put his name forward on SEN this morning. (mainly talking Melbourne ) but he said he wouldn't go through any lengthy interview process as his record is out there for everyone to see - much LOLs followed ).

Mark McClure is an idiot and doesn't like St Kilda so I wouldn't believe anything he says.

It will come down to this - Which one is most likely to win a flag in the next 5 years? Melbourne or St.kilda?

Isn't there a rule about too many Lyons in one club?

I dont necessarily believe it but stranger things have happened.
The worst thing would be that if he had an offer now, and announced it at the end of the season/finals campaign it wouldn't leave much time to arrange a decent replacement for drafting/preseason etc.
I guess if worse came to worse we could grab Rodney Eade for a year.

( Tim Watson put his name forward on SEN this morning. (mainly talking Melbourne ) but he said he wouldn't go through any lengthy interview process as his record is out there for everyone to see - much LOLs followed ).
Yes, for everybody but Brisbane.

His brother Troy however ...
ben-ripley-ben-ripley.jpg

"You might remember me from such AFL promotional shows as "Tasmania, where the devils live" and "Just give Geish a chance: Umpiring explained"..."

Putting my allegiances aside, best thing Melbourne have done in a long time*.

*If true.

I'd be pretty surprised if he did move across though, he's 1 flag away from becoming our greatest coach ever, arguably. And really I'd back him in to grab us one if given the time to do it, ie. work his own rebuild. However i wouldn't begrudge him if he did move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back