Toast Ross Lyon returns to St.Kilda #UnfinishedBusiness

Happy?

• Yes

Votes: 225 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 13.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say that the general rule to which exceptions can apply.
If we land McKenna it's a no brainer, but with Coff, Paton, Leo there's already enough running power and they could rotate Sincs and Jones through there as the 7th man. Sincs was great, but with an ordinary midfield he's a wasted talent.
Based off performances so far, Leo should not be near the best 22. Him being the next in line to replace Sinclair at half back should be the biggest indication of why Sinclair needs to stay there. And Paton is a good defender, he is not someone who you want the ball in the hands of exisiting defence.

With the younger players who Sinclair would be taking midfield time from - Windy/Owens/Clark plus hopeful of pick 10 being a mid - having already shown promising signs of being AFL quality mids, we would be a lot stronger with Sinclair in the position he is proven elite than moving him to be 3rd/4th in line in the midfield rotation and those listed players less midfield opportunities.

For me our midfield was and has been our greatest weakness for years. We have some kids coming through but moving Sinclair into the middle is a no brainer IMO. Even if it means Jones or Ross play different roles.

I can understand people wanting to leave Sinclair across half back as obviously that was where he played well last year. We can garauntee Hill will go back to a wing under RTB, but we still have plenty of players who can play the role across HB eg Clark, Coffield, Paton, Webster, Conolly even Ross, Jones or Billings could go back. Or even Connor McKenna if he joins the Saints?

Given Sinclair's development last sesson I am confident given the chance he would take another step playing through the midfield? Moving him to the midfield is about using players strengths where they can do the most damage. IMO he would now make an outstanding midfielder and give us that quick spread and kicking skills we desperately need out of the centre.

Gresham, Ross, Crouch and Jones even when they win clearances their kicking is just a slap kick forward. Sinclair has the speed and composure to deliver a kick lace out to a leading forward.

Coaching is often about seeing the potential in where players can progress to, not where theyve been.

Last edited:

You said we bottomed out right as the compromised drafts began which is wrong. We didn’t bottom out until 2013 when the compromised drafts were finished. So again, we don’t have the compromised drafts as an excuse for anything. You can’t just make things up to suit your narrative.
In addition to Punter's arguments, 2013 WAS a compromised draft: while neither players career has turned out fabulously both Jack Martin & Jesse Hogan were projected top 10 picks (at minimum) drafted 12 months early via GWS concessions.

Based off performances so far, Leo should not be near the best 22. Him being the next in line to replace Sinclair at half back should be the biggest indication of why Sinclair needs to stay there. And Paton is a good defender, he is not someone who you want the ball in the hands of exisiting defence.

With the younger players who Sinclair would be taking midfield time from - Windy/Owens/Clark plus hopeful of pick 10 being a mid - having already shown promising signs of being AFL quality mids, we would be a lot stronger with Sinclair in the position he is proven elite than moving him to be 3rd/4th in line in the midfield rotation and those listed players less midfield opportunities.
Pato is a very good lock down defender but he has other skills too. He was rusty this year but 2 or 3 seasons ago he also did a good job being an intercepting and attacking defender.
I think you need to lift your gaze a bit. There's going to be some substantial structural changes happen and just coz you might not see a direct 1 for 1 switch it doesn't mean the pieces won't fit. Could easily have Sincs, Jones and Hunter rotating through defense whilst Steele, Gresh and Chito rotate forward.

We only have the $$ to spend in the footy department now thanks to Finnis' work in the commercial side (which his 'pet areas' has helped grow)

It staggers me that some supporters still can't see how vital Finnis work has been in getting us in a position to spend on footy like we are finally doing. All the Jamie Cox and Trout like appointments have been simply because we couldn't afford anyone better.

it had nothing to do with finnis. we can fund the footy dept now because of the new AFL equalisation measures that have been put in place that guarantee clubs can pay the minimum

there's not much difference to pre-finnis to finnis when it came to footy dept funding. take away the AFL equalisation and we are effectively cooked.

in 2013:
  • St Kilda – 19.45 million, up from 17.96 million
in 2021 23.927

someone else can dig in and show how it jumps when AFL equalisation kicks in. footy dept funding aint it either. theres not much different between the clubs and clubs that spend less than us have achieved significantly better results i.e. western bulldogs and sydney.

Last edited:
I was thinking Battle fwd but we will already have King/Skunk/Hayes IMO

Cordy I can see being immediate best 22
I cant.

He played 14 games in a dogs defence that was horribly undersized last year (granted he played a couple up forward).

Hes the same height as Battle (or 2 cm taller depending on your source) and a couple kgs heavier whilst Battle is younger, quicker and better by foot.

I cant see Battle, Howard and Cordy all playing in the same team, Battle had a career best year as a backman after years of being moved all over the place.

I honestly cant understand the logic of getting Cordy as anything more than backup and unless he shows something in pre season that we havent seen in his 8 years in the system i cant see why hed be getting a game ahead of the other two proper tall defenders.

I cant.

He played 14 games in a dogs defence that was horribly undersized last year (granted he played a couple up forward).

Hes the same height as Battle (or 2 cm taller depending on your source) and a couple kgs heavier whilst Battle is younger, quicker and better by foot.

I cant see Battle, Howard and Cordy all playing in the same team, Battle had a career best year as a backman after years of being moved all over the place.

I honestly cant understand the logic of getting Cordy as anything more than backup and unless he shows something in pre season that we havent seen in his 8 years in the system i cant see why hed be getting a game ahead of the other two proper tall defenders.
Unless Battle goes forward

Putting aside the stuff around factor.

King, Hayes/Roma, Membrey, Battle.

Real tall forward line.

I seriously think Cordy is surplus to needs. I dont mind getting him but getting a premiership player KPP who is 26 years old to play in the twos doesnt seem likely.

If he displaces any of our incumbents ill be pretty mad personally. Might be a case of Ratts wanted him, Ross wont?

I'm hopeful Cordy is backup only to be honest.

Height in the backline is somewhat overrated - having good players is more important, some of the very best key defenders are only around the 190-193cm mark anyway.
I'm getting major Zac Dawson vibes about this whole situation.

Next year I still hope we get Ben McKay which would push Cordy out or Battle forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He ended up a good player but no one wanted him before he arrived..
He had potential but the Hawks rolled him out to play on monsters when he was just a skinny kid and he got monstered.

As we saw at the saints his strength was his speed, discipline and knowledge of his own weaknesses.

When Ross and Co developed him into a play behind spoil first defender he became really reliable but that potential always existed.

Not sure how Hayes will go after injury, as he only played one really good game before going down and needs to show more. Out of all the midfield contenders, I would lean to Sinclair having a go in there as he has superior footskills to the rest, but I think we still lack a class midfielder. It will be interesting to see RL's take on how the midfield should be structured.

Hayes needs to show more... he showed more heart and effort in his three games than most Saints did for the entire season. You don't offer someone a contract extension after a handful of games when they go down with a long term injury if they need to show more. He is far from on our list of targets that need to step up imo

He had potential but the Hawks rolled him out to play on monsters when he was just a skinny kid and he got monstered.

As we saw at the saints his strength was his speed, discipline and knowledge of his own weaknesses.

When Ross and Co developed him into a play behind spoil first defender he became really reliable but that potential always existed.

One of Clarko's more bizarre baptisms. Looked like he was trying to break him.

One of Clarko's more bizarre baptisms. Looked like he was trying to break him.

His development was iffy.
He played as a ruck in juniors, but was expected to be a key position player in AFL.
I think the Hawks mostly played him as a defender, but he played forward at Box Hill a fair bit.

Rocca kicked 8 goals on him during 2006.

Might be something about him here, but i can't read it.

He played as a ruck in juniors, but was expected to be a key position player in AFL.
I think the Hawks mostly played him as a defender, but he played forward at Box Hill a fair bit.

His first game for the Saints was against Rocca and Dawson pantsed him if I recall correc-crec ??.

His first game for the Saints was against Rocca and Dawson pantsed him if I recall correc-crec ??.

Nope you're too old and losing it.

Dawson played 6 games for us before he came up against Rocca.
Rocca only played 4 games that year ( his final ). He kicked zero, 1,1, and 2.

Zac's game he kicked 1. So a bit like someone pantsing Kosi in 2013.

Rocca kicked 2 in the QF against us, but Zac wasn't playinig.
His 8 against the Hawks in 2006 is the most goals he ever kicked in a game.

I saw that game and Clarko wouldn't move him off Rocca despite his confidence looking absolutely destroyed. He gave away about 90 kgs. It was embarrassing for coach and player. Must have back chatted at training or something.

I saw that game and Clarko wouldn't move him off Rocca despite his confidence looking absolutely destroyed. He gave away about 90 kgs. It was embarrassing for coach and player. Must have back chatted at training or something.
I think clarko is just a prick

If you haven't you should listen to the episode of unpluggered with Zac on it's a good listen.

Back