Preview Round 1 2019: Adelaide vs Hawthorn, AO,Saturday 23rd of March 4:35 P.M.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone reckon Adelaide are such a lock? Am I wrong to be so bullish?
Because Tom Mitchell isn't playing and we all know there's no Hawthorn without Mitchell.

Oh, and because they all hate us and want us to lose

Not sure about Nash to be honest.

Played a really poor finals series and didnt exactly set it alight in the JLT.

I would have given him a run of games in the VFL to develop his kicking for goal and general game sense before bringing him in.

Also a bit confused about Mirra over Brand. If Mirra was a creative user out of half back I could understand but nothing I have see of him so far suggests he has this skill set. To me Brand gives contested marking in the back line (a poor man's Brian Lake so to speak) which can be very useful.

Clarko must have his reasons though so we will watch with interest how these two go.

5 games into an AFL career, 2 of those games being finals. Give the guy a chance.

I'm buying shares in the guy. 197cm, 93kg, 20yo, super fast and has tricks. What's not to like?

Given a chance I'm thinking he'll blossom. Not expected to get a huge load of stats, but will make 'em count when he does.

Because Tom Mitchell isn't playing and we all know there's no Hawthorn without Mitchell.

Oh, and because they all hate us and want us to lose

As good as Mitchell is, it's important for the rest of the midfield to develop. I wish they were developing with him having long rests in the forward pocket, but as it is, it will force the team to sink or swim. Teams win games, not individual players. Most years, the sides with a huge stating midfield player don't win or make the grand final, you want a spread.

A lot of negativity on this board. I don't see why to be honest. Walker and Jenkins are both highly overrated. I'd be more worried about Murphy, Lynch and Betts to be honest. We are lucky we have good match ups for them. If Gunner plays, i'm pretty confident otherwise we probably wont quite have enough forward power to kick a winning score.

Paging ThaiHawk...
5 games into an AFL career, 2 of those games being finals. Give the guy a chance.

I'm buying shares in the guy. 197cm, 93kg, 20yo, super fast and has tricks. What's not to like?

Given a chance I'm thinking he'll blossom. Not expected to get a huge load of stats, but will make 'em count when he does.

Tom Mitchell’s season ending injury is easily the greatest blow for any club this season. The only positive is that we can test players in his position and find talent which has been happening since January.

Really pleased for Cousins and in particular scrimshaw for managing to get a run so early.

For scrimshaw to be a starter speaks volumes and could be another masterful move.

If we can compete in the middle, we can win this and again shock the competition who have been desperate to see us fall for a lengthy period.

Worpel’s continuation to develop becomes crucial. Massive expectations after his break out. How he responds will be massive. Love worps! Hope he delivers.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Spectemur Agendo

Tom Mitchell’s season ending injury is easily the greatest blow for any club this season. The only positive is that we can test players in his position and find talent which has been happening since January.

Really pleased for Cousins and in particular scrimshaw for managing to get a run so early.

For scrimshaw to be a starter speaks volumes and could be another masterful move.

If we can compete in the middle, we can win this and again shock the competition who have been desperate to see us fall for a lengthy period.

Worpel’s continuation to develop becomes crucial. Massive expectations after his break out. How he responds will be massive. Love worps! Hope he delivers.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Spectemur Agendo
Rance may have just been its equal. Mitchell you can go some way of replacing. No team could go even close to replacing a Rance/ McGovern (WC) type player.

Mirra will be fine. A good a lock down player as you'll find. Takes intercept marks as well. Neat kick and a good decision maker. Only knock really is his pace, and maybe lack of height but that'll depend on his match-up. He certainly gives it his all and I hope he shows his wares on Saturday night, and changes the minds of the nay-sayers here.....I'm confident he can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mirra will be fine. A good a lock down player as you'll find. Takes intercept marks as well. Neat kick and a good decision maker. Only knock really is his pace, and maybe lack of height but that'll depend on his match-up. He certainly gives it his all and I hope he shows his wares on Saturday night, and changes the minds of the nay-sayers here.....I'm confident he can.

Can’t agree here. The problem is his decision making is nowhere near fast enough which slows us down. His kicking is neat because he will take the safe option 9/10. He isn’t damaging enough.

Not doubting his endeavour and good luck to him for getting a senior start. I just don’t feel at all confident with him in the starting 22. Hope I’m wrong, however he hasn’t been inspirational at all.

KOLOKOTRONIS

Spectemur Agendo

Not sure about Nash to be honest.

Played a really poor finals series and didnt exactly set it alight in the JLT.

I would have given him a run of games in the VFL to develop his kicking for goal and general game sense before bringing him in.

I don't think he's ready either, but obviously the coaching staff figure he'll develop better in the firsts than the seconds. While I agree he was ineffective in the finals, we had some shockers put in by players with a lot more experience than him. Breust and Poppy were both pretty ordinary in the first final, and not much better in the second. Looked like Nash got overwhelmed by the big stage, given his other games were not quite as diabolical as his two finals. The fact that AC is sticking with him is enough for me to think they are confident he has what it takes given more time at the level. On paper , the guy could be anything, so I can see the thinking. We'll get a stronger indicator of exactly how highly they rate him when Wingard comes back. If they keep Nash in, they'll have to push someone like Poppy out. If people are gnashing their teeth now, I look forward to the melts if that happens.

Also a bit confused about Mirra over Brand. If Mirra was a creative user out of half back I could understand but nothing I have see of him so far suggests he has this skill set. To me Brand gives contested marking in the back line (a poor man's Brian Lake so to speak) which can be very useful.

I also thought Brand would be picked ahead of Mirra. In fact Adelaide is one of the teams I'd have thought Brand before Mirra was the more obvious choice, and that Mirra might get ahead of Brand against smaller forward setups against other teams. I like Mirra in a contest, but like most, wish he'd get rid of the ball quicker when we are moving out of defence, seems to be always half a second behind the pace of play.

Now which of he and Sicily will play back

With 6-6-6 I reckon they'll plan to use Sicily's strong contested mark to advantage down forward as long as we are winning centre clearances, and will swing him back if we are getting pantsed in the middle. So he'll probably play largely back :)

Länderspielpause

A german word used to express the boredom one feels in the football off-season. Here's to the end of Länderspielpause.

I like our team, too. Sicily back in the forward half... soon to be joined by Wingard.

Ps. I notice how important flexibility is for Clarko. Notice how almost every player in the forward and back lines are capable of playing either role effectively. Except Stratts, bless him. Even Poppy used to be a backman.

Last edited:
Remember guys its all about the team never the individual its the collective that counts.
Dave is probably the best match up for lynch at this stage because Scrimshaw just hasn't got the fitness.
I reckon gunners is a late out Sic goes forward and brand comes in

Close there Fp.. ;)

Rolling the dice with Gunston & Brand 80% with that ankle I’d say.
A 90% Gunston at FF is better that a 80% Brand at CHB chasing Lynch.
Mirra is an odd selection but strats will play tall with Chip & roll through the match ups throughout the game anyway.
My guess would be Gunston out & Lewis in CHF, Rough FF.

Nash Lewis Breust
Sicily Rough Poppy

Rough out of the square with Lewis & Sicily at 30m... looks pretty dangerous to me at 6/6/6 with the other boys hitting up front & square.
Pace to burn & Breust as one of the best readers off hands going around running at goal.

We will win by 4 goals if the boys can win the clearances.

I rate B Crouch pretty high but not necessarily their midfield, as talented as it looks on paper they all really have to be in some good form to have a hurt factor. I think we match up well against the Crows in that area.

Nice one tige19! I'm a little confused as to the lack of training reports surrounding the club given that Chad was due to have his first fitness test today & the mystery surrounding Jack. Will be waiting with baited breath mate!

Sent from my office, chewing what's left of my finger nails!

Our club does most things right but it’s injury reporting to fans literally takes the piss... beyond frustrating

We're paying around $ 3.50 which pretty much how I feel about our chances, will be a massive job for our midfield trying to break even with Sloane, Gibbs and Crouch x 2.

We're paying around $ 3.50 which pretty much how I feel about our chances, will be a massive job for our midfield trying to break even with Sloane, Gibbs and Crouch x 2.

I don’t know.. I find their midfield vanilla, no superstars, those guys aren’t going to break games open. I feel if we can break even with inside 50s we are a massive chance, we are nowhere near full strength but I don’t give the godly status some are giving the crows. Geelong on paper to me have a much more dynamic and star studded midfield and we absolutely took them to the cleaners, I’m not saying the same will happen but I think we can more than compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back