Autopsy Round 1 2021: North vs Port - Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I am rushing. But right at this point of time we are so far behind. Even in the preseason games we were woeful. Just trying to be realistic

In saying that, as we’ve said, bring cunners, Jed and Tarrant back and we are in the mix

who are we behind exactly? all clubs are at different stages of their development. we're over a decade behind richmond and wce...we're about 5 years behind brisbane... etc etc.

Teams rebuild at different stages and be "behind"

we have a first year coach and flushed out the inherited lists of the past, of course we're behind....but geelong, wce and saints will be in our position within the next 2 years and we won't be behind. it all comes in swings and roundabouts.

your expectations need to be adjusted.

Need to hit the draft and recruit a forward line. Problem is it'll be hard to pass on that Horne bloke when we have the first pick
Given how long the forwards take to develop, it's puzzling why haven't addressed that issue even partially in the last draft. Other than Comben, who is no guarantee to make it, we have absolutely nobody on the list to develop in that area.

Yeah I am rushing. But right at this point of time we are so far behind. Even in the preseason games we were woeful. Just trying to be realistic

In saying that, as we’ve said, bring cunners, Jed and Tarrant back and we are in the mix

Ofcoarse we are behind the majority of clubs. We are rebuilding. New coach, new players, new game plan. People that expect anything else aren't realistic.

Not really sure what you mean by in the mix, but Cunnington, Anderson & Tarrant will definitely help the kids - they should even help us win a few games.

I think the only people that are really disappointed after yesterday are those who had completely unrealistic expectations going into 2021.

l've said it before and l will say it again that umpiring descision in the 2nd quarter where Corr got pushed in the back in the goal square only for a mark to be given to the Port player resulting in a goal cost us heaps. The game would have been a lot closer if not for that. We may not have won it BUT it would have been a lot closer..That descision WAS the game changer in my view....

wont win a game this year
I reckon we will win more than people think. Take yesterday's first quarter to build on, add Taz, Cunnington, Jed, Dumont, Hall and LMac and don't forget that we played a side that finished top in the Home and Away season in 2020 - plenty of easier opponents around.

Tyson I can see the rationale with selecting him with Cunners, Dumont and Anderson out on paper.

But boy he is ordinary.

You wonder how much input Roos has into playing him, given he effectively gave up Josh Kelly to get him to Melbourne.

That's a long bow to draw. I would say he played because Cunnington, Dumont and Anderson were out against a mature Port midfield and he was one our best in pre-season.

Also Adelaide had a couple of key forwards who presented and kicked goals. Makes a huge difference when you have a working forward line.
I know I went on about this last year but what about McKay to the forward line? He is coming along nicely down back but we won't make finals this year so for goodness sake, experiment a bit.

Larkey did quite well when rucking, or more correctly did much better than I thought he would do. He may eventually be a David Hale style tall.

I wonder if Brown lead so much that no one else bothered.

Fix the forward line.

who are we behind exactly? all clubs are at different stages of their development. we're over a decade behind richmond and wce...we're about 5 years behind brisbane... etc etc.

Teams rebuild at different stages and be "behind"

we have a first year coach and flushed out the inherited lists of the past, of course we're behind....but geelong, wce and saints will be in our position within the next 2 years and we won't be behind. it all comes in swings and roundabouts.

your expectations need to be adjusted.
Exactly right. Remember back in 2015 when we were ahead of Richmond? Good times.

Honestly you can't tell who is where on the clock until they actually are playing in and winning grand finals. Teams that on paper should, don't, and vice versa. Everyone tries to refresh/rebuild and no-one knows for sure their try will work out how they want. I loved playing in those finals and never wanted us to bottom out, but now we have landed low I'll enjoy what I can. And yesterday I saw plenty.

I know I went on about this last year but what about McKay to the forward line? He is coming along nicely down back but we won't make finals this year so for goodness sake, experiment a bit.

Larkey did quite well when rucking, or more correctly did much better than I thought he would do. He may eventually be a David Hale style tall.

Fix the forward line.

McKay is the long term replacement for Tazza imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fix the forward line.
l want to see brother vs brother when we play Carlton...His brother beat him soundly last time they played against eachother in the vfl.

This is our major issue atm. l know its only the first game but Larkey is still to light and Zuurhar just dont seem to be giving enough. We have a lot of very light bodied players on the forward line barring Walker. Let Larkey play CHF and Walker FF would be the best option l can see to try atm.

Exactly right. Remember back in 2015 when we were ahead of Richmond? Good times.

Honestly you can't tell who is where on the clock until they actually are playing in and winning grand finals. Teams that on paper should, don't, and vice versa. Everyone tries to refresh/rebuild and no-one knows for sure their try will work out how they want. I loved playing in those finals and never wanted us to bottom out, but now we have landed low I'll enjoy what I can. And yesterday I saw plenty.

It's a relief that this is happening. You can take the losses as long as the kids are doing good things and we pick up some quarters along the way. Might even snaffle a few victories. It's all good

On the whole did a lot better than I expected and enjoyed watching it. There are a few there that sadly can't hit a target. If there's none presenting, gee its better to hold it up and get caught holding the ball, at least it doesn't get ricocheted straight back. The ball movement through the middle was very slick at times. Still very little targeted kicking going inside 50 which is where it seems to be really breaking down. Few marks inside 50, and I think an opportunistic fast small forward or two is what we needed yesterday. Hoping Spicer plays next weekend.

Fix the forward line.
McKay is the long term replacement for Tazza imo

DERRINALPHIL I'm the same - would love to see BMac have a run up forward and I think he would be well suited and hungry; however as Val Keating stated I think he is slated as a replacement for Taz.

I would love to see BMac fwd and Walker go back.

DERRINALPHIL I'm the same - would love to see BMac have a run up forward and I think he would be well suited and hungry; however as Val Keating stated I think he is slated as a replacement for Taz.

I would love to see BMac fwd and Walker go back.

Only cause Walker and Taz are getting on, both late 20’s I think

Wow, I know we are all disappointed that the club is in this position, but making these statements after the coach has been here for 5 minutes, we are 1 round in and have 7 of our starting 22 out injured shows a pretty limited understanding of the game.

Check out the posting history. All negative North stuff

if you think those 7 are going to get us moving in the right direction you seriously need to invest in a melway!
So you don't think Perez, Hayden, Xerri, LMac, Jed make up a part of our future (not to mention Powell, Phillips, Comben, etc.)?

Or that Cunners, Dumont, Ziebell and Taz are the leaders that will help get them there?

Have you not seen what happened to Melbourne and Carlton - you simply cannot throw a heap of kids into the middle without senior support and expect them all to step up.

I think you need to invest in more than a Melway dude.

So you don't think Perez, Hayden, Xerri, LMac, Jed make up a part of our future (not to mention Powell, Phillips, Comben, etc.)?

Or that Cunners, Dumont, Ziebell and Taz are the leaders that will help get them there?

Have you not seen what happened to Melbourne and Carlton - you simply cannot throw a heap of kids into the middle without senior support and expect them all to step up.

I think you need to invest in more than a Melway dude.
Needs to invest in a brain transplant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back