Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

still too dinky..........
We are not prepared to move the ball bravely or quickly, was a noticeable difference between the two teams early.

Richmond got full reward for the way they moved the ball and spread with real energy & purpose.

We lacked the confidence and effort to do the same.

The big issue and the insanity of this year is there’s no VFL to send Dow or Setterfield to. It also means that players like LOB have next to no match practice.

Of course, it could all be moot in five days when the joint shuts down or one of the players contracts Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s going to be the same for every team though re no VFL, but agree they won’t get anywhere near 17 rds done

Was meaning as in you posters stay safe from the corona outbreak we’re all footy nuffs but at the end of the day compared to the real issues going on it means * all.

We need badly to get ourselves some big bodied quick midfielders, Cripps is a clearance bull but a team like Richmond is full of guys who can run hard all day and hurt us on the outside.

Guys like dow, walsh, sps, Fisher are all extremely light and only walsh has the endurance to match those seasoned bodies, we won't be pushing too many top sides until we can bulk these guys up or recruit some players to fill the gap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant win games whilst laying 27 tackles and allowing the oppo an 80% disposal efficiency .
Once again give a side a sizeable lead and make the game look respectable by coming back but never going to win so not buying the comeback this time as you really dont know how fair dinkum Richmond where for a period of time with a 40- 50 point lead .
Too many conditional efforts early too reliant on Cripps too get us going at stoppages thereafter .
Whilst not working hard enough when we haven't got the ball to pressure the oppo into turnovers .
Clearly some good signs with individual performances by newcomers in Martin and Newnes but as a team mostly the same critical errors and poor finishing letting us down .
Hollow feeling on that performance .

Last edited:
Neither were good at all, but Dow did more.
he's always in there scrapping away but will he ever get consistency with clean ball - his burst over 10 metres is his strength.........

Much better after qtr time all things considered, put our missing forwards in even closer. Jack Martin absolute weapon. Just need some luck with injuries which never happens and we need setterfield and Dow to step up.

Richmond are just too good - they’re a super footy team.

I can’t help think that the first qtr the moment or lack of moment really caught us out... Richmond came to play and I reckon we were thrown by no crowd. It looked like we didn’t adjust.
Yeah I agree the lack of crowd really rattled us in the first and we didn’t adjust which is no surprise really that the team with mountains more experience playing together would adjust better to a change in the game.

Was meaning as in you posters stay safe from the corona outbreak we’re all footy nuffs but at the end of the day compared to the real issues going on it means fu** all.
I hear you, champ......

Also, I think we are at the stage now where we don't make concessions for 3rd+ year players with a full pre-season who serve up garbage.

Cuningham was trash for most of the game, but he put himself in positions to impact the scoreboard, so gets a pass. He is a natural around goals.

Others, who I have named already, either butchered the ball in front of goals or simply looked disinterested in the game. That s**t doesn't get tolerated anymore, particularly with players like Williamson and Philp on the sidelines.

So what are his most talented attributes ?

I look at him and cannot see many.

It’s not like he is quick, clean by hand or foot or marks it well etc
has shown glimpses of talent in past games so it is there....did not see any tonight though. he was very poor. i was really expecting a good performance from him now that he is pretty much injury free and it was reported he had a good preseason.

We need badly to get ourselves some big bodied quick midfielders, Cripps is a clearance bull but a team like Richmond is full of guys who can run hard all day and hurt us on the outside.

Guys like dow, walsh, sps, Fisher are all extremely light and only walsh has the endurance to match those seasoned bodies, we won't be pushing too many top sides until we can bulk these guys up or recruit some players to fill the gap.

Yeah Richmond's midfield isn't actually full of stars, but it's very well balanced.
Pretty much their entire midfield are big bodied but can seriously run and spread. That's a big part of their strength.

We on the other hand, have Cripps who is a beast but he's not a strong runner and spreader.
Then we have guys like Dow/Fish/Setterfield who are also a bit one dimensional...they aren't big bodied or necessarily strong runners.

Basically Richmond's midfielders are all well-rounded and therefore have few weaknesses to exploit, whereas ours have their strengths but also obvious weaknesses.

An opposition team could look to spread off Cripps & Dow, beat Fisher in the contest with a bigger bodied player etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back