Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

Think most of the best and worst were obvious tonight.

Haven’t read the Autopsy.

Cripps will take 3 votes. Martin might even get 1 (Would love to see a few doubters raise their hands..) . Weiters very good and so promising. Doc, very good first game back and didn’t even kick one OOF. Cas also maintaining his great form from 2019.

Of the less obvious, Sammo looked so much more confident - from the moment he stood under the high ball. He just looked clean and composed with extra strength..definitely going to improve on last year and is something of a barometer in my book, so it’s promising. The other was Fisher - didn’t get a lot of it but was clean and composed. So much better than what we were seeing last year with the dinky kicks, hesitation etc.

Don’t appreciate the criticism of Gibbons. I’ll take his footy brain over most other players any day. Very Tough opponents for our small forwards. He’ll have his very good days and his below average days - comes with the role.

McG looked good. Happy with what I saw there. Have always been a big fan and looks ready to deliver.

Murphy was very disappointing - most disappointing, for mine. Simmo has me Worried.

Setters fairly disappointing but was never played in the guts. Still confident with him. Same with Dow - actually think Dow had some moments.

I don’t like the foot off the pedal comments - you don’t let a team get as close as we did... and ffs, their players didn’t step up - we stuffed up our later opportunities .. like Cunners’ snap.

To achieve what we did in terms of territory, repeat entries and possession against the reigning premier, with the injuries that we had holds us in good stead. Tough Rd2, but we should have Rd3 covered :)

Last edited:
Also, I think we are at the stage now where we don't make concessions for 3rd+ year players with a full pre-season who serve up garbage.

Cuningham was trash for most of the game, but he put himself in positions to impact the scoreboard, so gets a pass. He is a natural around goals.

Others, who I have named already, either butchered the ball in front of goals or simply looked disinterested in the game. That s**t doesn't get tolerated anymore, particularly with players like Williamson and Philp on the sidelines.
Players who I thought were most culpable tonight:

Murphy - I don't care about his 26 touches, was incredibly soft and butchered the ball in key moments.
Setterfield - Was he even playing.
Curnow - Garbage performance.

Dow at least tried hard to my eye despite ******* most things up.

Also, I think we are at the stage now where we don't make concessions for 3rd+ year players with a full pre-season who serve up garbage.

Cuningham was trash for most of the game, but he put himself in positions to impact the scoreboard, so gets a pass. He is a natural around goals.

Others, who I have named already, either butchered the ball in front of goals or simply looked disinterested in the game. That s**t doesn't get tolerated anymore, particularly with players like Williamson and Philp on the sidelines.

There were a lot of disappointing players. Not sure you make big changes after 1 game.

I'd definitely bring Willo in for Newman. TDK for Kreuze.
And then depending on how they want to line up, perhaps drop one of the others for Pittonet.

First quarter aside, was a reasonable performance.
Martin--Simply sublime. Will end up being the best recruit this year.
Cripps--Brownlow beckons.
Casboult--Manful performance. So happy that we did not trade him.
Docherty--Will only get better from here. Welcome back.
Weitering--He is a man now and could even make all Australian this year.

In both cases they have been asked to play(out of necessity) as the main forward option when thats not what they are.Being the only talls in the forward line means they are double and triple teamed at times.

A lot of people writing players off after one game against the best team in the competition.
Spot on and I think McGovern actually played really well, was just not quite taking his marks but came damn close a lot of times, could have easily kicked 3-4 with a bit of luck and his pressure once the ball hit the ground was really good actually had the most pressure acts of the forwards, overall a good first up run from the big McG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How close did we get despite appalling kicking into our forward line! you guys have said it all-Cripps, Martin, Doch, Weitering and Levi fantastic. Desperately disappointed in Setterfield and Dow. I look back on that ridiculous 50 that Lambert (i think) got and then another where they gave Soldo and absolute eternity for holding the ball then they got a goal. Dows shots and the goal Cunningham missed. What could have been. Why do we always start slowly?

People lambasting Murphy when Dow and Setterfield got half of his touches combined. Sure he made a couple mistakes, but at least he tried his guts out.
Look. I'm calling him out...what does.comparing his disposal numbers to anyone else have to do with anything?
Off the top of my head:
Multiple poor kick into our forward line to no-one, they are high and loopy. He has ample time to weigh up options etc. But his kicks are not to advantage.
He marks the ball about 40ish out, decides to play on and his kick lands short of the target.
He calls for the handball receive from Cripps in the centre square with a Tiger literally on his back.
With his 10 years of AFL experience (don't even want to bring up the fact that he's looked up to by the young ones given he's a previous captain) you would think that he'd make the right decision and execute it majority of the time. From my perspective though, it just does not happen.

i know its only been one game but to me cunners looked the same player as he was last year. He needs to kick goals.

No one, it just serves to highlight the weird the fixation that some of our cheeto-fingered fans have with our former skipper.
I dare you to run that through an english translator app.........

Yep.

Cunners kicked 2.1 and had 8 disposals...if he's playing as a half forward that's actually OK.

Castagna kicked 3.0 with 8 disposals.
Rioli 3.0 and 12.
Bolton 3.1 and 13.

And those dangerous forwards are one of Richmond's biggest strengths.

We have Martin & Cunners to play those roles...but we need a third to join them and Dow is not the answer. Betts only for 1 year so not counting him.
Dow was very poor, wasted some chances and had no real impact in the forward half. Replace him with a Papley who is another forward who just makes things happen and it makes a world of difference.

There were a lot of disappointing players. Not sure you make big changes after 1 game.

I'd definitely bring Willo in for Newman. TDK for Kreuze.
And then depending on how they want to line up, perhaps drop one of the others for Pittonet.

Pittonet is the next ruck in. We need a bustling big body around Cripps. I love what Pittonet brings.

TDK a serious chance but I'd want to make sure that McGovern is fine from a mobility standpoint before going with those 3 forwards.

The Tigers are well-oiled and we looked rusty, even for the excuses we could front up with, given lack of key personnel etc.
There were signs of fluidity but it's just not all there quite yet.

The scoreboard itself doesn't look too bad given the cellar-dweller vs the premier scenario, but some names will be put under the spotlight tomorrow.
Just not good enough from several players and they'd well know who they are....

i know its only been one game but to me cunners looked the same player as he was last year. He needs to kick goals.
had to nail that - that's what he's paid for........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back