Autopsy Round 10, 2023: Hawthorn demolish the Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a shame * got up this week because that was almost a quinella of joy for the weekend:

1. Hawks thumping win after another pathetic week of mudslinging at our club by the press and Norf officials.

2. Norf after constant sniping at us get smacked hard by the karma bus on a pure technicality free kick.

3. Cats get beat out west.

4. Our own supporters who are cheerleading us to a spoon can instead enjoy yet another instalment of our young blokes showing their will to win and can go sit the * down and take their will to lose and shove it up their pathetic asses.

It’s a shame * got up this week because that was almost a quinella of joy for the weekend:

1. Hawks thumping win after another pathetic week of mudslinging at our club by the press and Norf officials.

2. Norf after constant sniping at us get smacked hard by the karma bus on a pure technicality free kick.

3. Cats get beat out west.

4. Our own supporters who are cheerleading us to a spoon can instead enjoy yet another instalment of our young blokes showing their will to win and can go sit the * down and take their will to lose and shove it up their pathetic asses.

And the Tiges got pipped at the post. 🤣🤣
What a glorious weekend. ❤️👍

The third time this has happened. But the latest in the season that it has happened.

178 - 1979 R04 - coll v stk

If there was ever a side to get beat by 178 points by a side presently in last place of course it would be St Kilda.

Kane Cornes decided to give Twitter a miss today. Damian Barrett’s sole post is a link to an article on the AFL site in which he talks about WCE (though still gives Hawthorn a backhander in the opening sentence). Absolute flogs.

Kane Cornes decided to give Twitter a miss today.

What did Kane do today? I was watching the game on silent. I thought Kane was a ticket holder for the Sam Mitchell rebuild experience now.

Today was a sugar hit for the players and us as supporters.

But I don’t think we can take anything from it apart from the ruthlessness of the kill. Eagles were appalling and a 10 goal win was par for today.

Great result, bit of reward for effort but next few weeks will be a better gauge of where we are at.

Agree, but there are different aspects of the game to practise - one is defence and all those actions when we don't have the ball, the other is practising offensive ball movement and "locking the ball" I50. Was good for us to practise that in an easier setting.

I loved the hustle of our midfielders.. not sure how to explain it other than 'hustle' when the ball was in dispute

But I don’t think we can take anything from it apart from the ruthlessness of the kill. Eagles were appalling and a 10 goal win was par for today.

Great result, bit of reward for effort but next few weeks will be a better gauge of where we are at.
If 10 goals is par what’s a 20 goal win? Albatros? Condor?

The West Coast list management team were FILTHY when we drafted Brockman. They'd been hiding him.

They'll feel even worse today, he absolutely torched them.

We've got a genuine a-grader here, he's brilliant. Ridiclously agile, classy, tough.
That first goal he kicked where he sold two people candy, did a double cutback and nailed from around 50 was dare it was dare i say it, delicious.
WCE may end up having the last laugh if he decides to go home. As much as I hate thinking about it in this way I'm hoping he continues on an upwards trajectory pushing his trade value up. Hate to see him go for peanuts.

In saying that I trust that his re-signing is a priority at the club. Still developing but just oozes class which will only shine more brightly with more game time. Has to be a lock in everyweek too good for VFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE may end up having the last laugh if he decides to go home. As much as I hate thinking about it in this way I'm hoping he continues on an upwards trajectory pushing his trade value up. Hate to see him go for peanuts.

In saying that I trust that his resigning is a priority at the club. Still developing but just oozes class which will only shine more brightly with more game time. Has to be a lock in everyweek too good for VFL.
For the love of god the hyphen, won’t somebody think of the hyphen! Resign to quit, Re-sign to stay.

From the tackle

3. Weren’t they tanking?​

Some observers have argued Hawthorn were tanking this season, but the Hawks dismissed that foolish assumption, when they annihilated West Coast on Sunday. You can’t be tanking in the race for the Tongala Cup, aka Harley Reid, and at the same time record your greatest winning margin over the Eagles. The 116-point win was the biggest since Round 7, 2014, when the Hawks put St Kilda to the sword. In a terribly lop-sided match, the Hawks kicked their highest score since Round 12, 2016. At times, they looked like Collingwood with the way they were able to move the ball, and if the Hawks can beat the Eagles by 116, what in the heck will Collingwood win by? 150 points? A highlight on Sunday was Josh Weddle’s game. He was picked No.18 in the 2022 draft and in his fourth game, he had 28 and kicked two. Dare we say green shoots?

From the AFL’s 9 things we learnt article…

6) The Hawks have unearthed two more gems​

Hawthorn's midfield has already got some much-deserved credit despite the Hawks' struggles and, in further positive signs, they look to have unearthed two more talented youngsters. Josh Weddle, who Hawthorn traded up for to grab with pick No.18 in last year's draft, and Seamus Mitchell, delisted at the end of last year before being selected in the AFL Rookie Draft, were instrumental in their thrashing of West Coast on Sunday. Weddle had 28 disposals, kicked two goals and had seven intercept possessions in just his fourth AFL game, while Mitchell had 19 touches in his sixth senior game as both provided plenty of drive. – Dejan Kalinic

Here's the thing. I can tell from watching the game that Brockman was one stand out, but when you look at the raw stats you'd think "Yeah, he had a decent game" not that he was best on ground. I want to know exactly how Champion Data calculate that rating.

I have a feeling it's the 93% DE from disposals mostly in the front half, the high level of score involvements and goal assists per disposal, the 3 tackles I50. It would explain why Cyril was always one of Champion Data's darlings. Brocky had a very Cyril like game.

In saying that I trust that his re-signing is a priority at the club. Still developing but just oozes class which will only shine more brightly with more game time. Has to be a lock in everyweek too good for VFL.
If he does we will have pick 1 thanks.

Also after looking at WC yesterday not sure amyone would be attracted to going there

The day after the Sunday massacre, my take after watching live

• Our midfield is building nicely, shredded them all match
  • Sic looks so much better when Blank plays, frees him up to roam and do sic things
  • Nash is just a beast
  • Mitchell is all class, quick & skillful
  • Rucks were good, would like to see more marks around the ground
  • Weddle was everywhere and is quick
  • exciting group coming through
  • The spoon and tanking talk can now stop

Kane Cornes decided to give Twitter a miss today. Damian Barrett’s sole post is a link to an article on the AFL site in which he talks about WCE (though still gives Hawthorn a backhander in the opening sentence). Absolute flogs.
I know your trying to draw a parallel with the Hawks but Kane played in one of those CUB games on Saturday.
He had 6 touches, best he avoid social media, would have been torched beyond belief.

Sugar hit is a good description. It felt good, unlike if we just scrapped a 30 point win against that rubbish opponent. But it will be short lived enjoyment if we revert to get smacked against better opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back