Preview Round 12, 2020: St.Kilda v Essendon - Gabba, Sunday 16th August, 3:35PM AEST *JONES 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Bombers

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expecting Jones, Ryder and Ross to be in.

Gresh, Bytel and Philips out. Need Ross to step up and replace Gresh around the clearances, where his work has been clean.

Gears will get a lock down role, potentially on Ridley who would not be accustomed to such attention.

Expecting us to bounce back hard, dominate clearances and pressure at a level that the pressure gauge will blow.

Why would you expect Phillips and Bytel to be tipped out? They were clearly among the best v Geelong :oops:

Why would you expect Phillips and Bytel to be tipped out? They were clearly among the best v Geelong :oops:

Victims of circumstance. Ryder, Jones and Ross will be back in.
Someone has to miss.

Hind was our best player and match winner 11 DAYS AGO!

He also played well in the Gold Coast game.

Against the Cats, even though his small forward partners couldn’t even get their hands on it, he actually did!

Sure, he missed a flying snap on goal in the first half, had a late error when he played on from advantage desperately trying to move the ball on as we were so far behind, and then missed a set shot after getting his head taken off.

But you know what? Compared to Butler and Kent you’d take Hind’s game every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. Why? Because against a team that totally dominated our forward line and starved our small forwards of possessions completely, he was still buzzing around in there getting his hands on the pill, and causing their defense problems. His partners in crime up there were completely invisible.

You’d take Hind’s game in the hardest position on the field against an insane Geelong defense at the top of their game over Butler’s and Kent’s invisible games all day long. Why he’s copping it on here and there’s a movement to drop him is just weird.

Dunstan. Round 1 2014. 21 disposals , 5 clearances, 8 CP's. Wow in a couple of years this kid is going to be awesome.

We have to put that Dunstan performance into context as well ... We won the spoon that year, and Melbourne were only above us on percentage, so a good debut against a team which was destined for only 4 wins looks a little different to a baptism of fire against a team which absolutely loaded up almost every experienced player on their list to exploit our youth, where he stood up pretty well under fire.

Hind was our best player and match winner 11 DAYS AGO!

He also played well in the Gold Coast game.

Against the Cats, even though his small forward partners couldn’t even get their hands on it, he actually did!

Sure, he missed a flying snap on goal in the first half, had a late error when he played on from advantage desperately trying to move the ball on as we were so far behind, and then missed a set shot after getting his head taken off.

But you know what? Compared to Butler and Kent you’d take Hind’s game every day of the week and twice on Tuesdays. Why? Because against a team that totally dominated our forward line and starved our small forwards of possessions completely, he was still buzzing around in there getting his hands on the pill, and causing their defense problems. His partners in crime up there were completely invisible.

You’d take Hind’s game in the hardest position on the field against an insane Geelong defense at the top of their game over Butler’s and Kent’s invisible games all day long. Why he’s copping it on here and there’s a movement to drop him is just weird.
Butler had a shocker, but kicked 4 the week before and has a few runs on the board… don't think anyone would want him dropped.

Hind had 8 disposals, ONE effective, ONE tackle, 6 pressure acts.

Kent had 13 disposals, 11 effective, 5 marks, 11 pressure acts. How is that invisible in comparison?

Hind was excellent against Sydney, but in the past 3 matches including that one he's had 11 shots on goal for 3.3… at some point you drop blokes for poor execution and selfish decision making… just like Lonie.

Agree - was an awful way to debut a mid. Very Richo-like

Ratts did a better job with Bytel, gave him a chance of success and Bytel did the rest
Completely different players I’d say by the looks of them. One is a pure inside mid like dunstan was. One is more your outside mid half forward flanker type. Seemed to play it right to me but we always want to blame the coach instead of the player.

Also the difference is you watched one thinking that watched the other with bias thinking the opposite. I reckon both players were the same with their selfishness.

I don't think either Hind or Lonie were being selfish.

Lonie's 'selfish acts' in Adelaide actually included the umpire picking him out incorrectly to take the free kick & having a shot from a distance that he's kicked before (but shanked).

Hind's selfishness was trying to create something when nothing else was working. The same supporters who are carrying on about his selfishness were no doubt praising his 3 goals against the Swans when he backed himself to finish off.

I can only imagine the heat poor Phillips would have copped if he'd missed the two shots on Monday night.

Last edited:
Butler had a shocker, but kicked 4 the week before and has a few runs on the board… don't think anyone would want him dropped.

Hind had 8 disposals, ONE effective, ONE tackle, 6 pressure acts.

Kent had 13 disposals, 11 effective, 5 marks, 11 pressure acts. How is that invisible in comparison?

Hind was excellent against Sydney, but in the past 3 matches including that one he's had 11 shots on goal for 3.3… at some point you drop blokes for poor execution and selfish decision making… just like Lonie.
Having watched the GC game a couple of times, Hind’s game was undersold.

Got involved in a lot of the scoring chains, did a lot of unselfish things, including setting up your stat comparison guy Kent for his goal with a very intelligent bit of play.

It was a good game from Hind and all the small forwards against the Suns. A few days before, he was the difference against the Swans. And he was possibly the best of the bunch against an extremely difficult opponent in the Cats.

How the above means Hind doesn’t have credits in the bank is absolutely beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched the GC game a couple of times, Hind’s game was undersold.

Got involved in a lot of the scoring chains, did a lot of unselfish things, including setting up your stat comparison guy Kent for his goal with a very intelligent bit of play.

It was a good game from Hind and all the small forwards against the Suns. A few days before, he was the difference against the Swans. And he was possibly the best of the bunch against an extremely difficult opponent in the Cats.

How the above means Hind doesn’t have credits in the bank is absolutely beyond me.

I also noticed Kent was hanging a lot further up the ground than he usually does. He seemed to be playing on a wing at one point.

I don't think either Hind or Lonie being selfish.

Lonie's 'selfish acts' in Adelaide actually included the umpire picking him out incorrectly to take the free kick & having a shot from a distance that he's kicked before (but shanked).

Hind's selfishness was trying to create something when nothing else was working. The same supporters who are carrying on about his selfishness were no doubt praising his 3 goals against the Swans when he backed himself to finish off.

I can only imagine the heat poor Phillips would have copped if he'd missed the two shots on Monday night.
I agree. And they should be selfish in their own way anyway.

One of, but not the only reason Geelong beat us was that Ratts got out-coached from the start, not to say he is a bad coach but he will learn a lot from that game, especially about having a predictable game plan. I would say the boys will come out against Essendon in a different frame of mind, and hopefully a lot harder at the ball. We need more goals from the forward line, and Membrey needs to step up a little bit more.
[/QUOTE]

We got pantsed for 2 reasons;

1. what was virtually a 3 day break
2. the inexperience of the side compared to our opposition.

You could have put anyone in the coach's seat and the result wouldn't have been any different.

I am the only one that has Essendon as my most despised team?

Can not stand those arrogant fu#kwits.

Closely followed by Carlton, but not at quite the same level.

I am the only one that has Essendon as my most despised team?

Can not stand those arrogant fu#kwits.

Closely followed by Carlton, but not at quite the same level.

No, me too. Born in 1980, I didn't see St Kilda beat Essendon until I was in high school.

Of the three small forwards against Geelong, I thought Kent was the best and Butler was the worst. Butler has the most credits in the bank.

I'm not sure I would drop any of them against Essendon, and if I did, it would only be for another non-marking forward (Lonie or Parker).
That is a really good point about Kent. Very few people had him in their best 22 pre-season. Has copped a lot in here about being a Ratts favourite

I thought he was pretty good last week (compared to most anyway).

Going at a goal a game. Top 15 in the league for tackles I50 (despite missing a few games). Averages 3rd most score involvements in the team (*more then 1 game). For those who just dismiss stats, the translation is that he is doing his job every week.

IMO he is quietly putting together a really nice season. His biggest compliment - nobody is calling for him to be dropped every week anymore!

Last edited:
This is how I describe Kent: you can win a premiership with a player like him in the side, but he won't necessarily be in your premiership side when you win one. He's in that 18-30 group in your list. And if you think of him like that, he's pretty handy. I'm never going to be heartbroken if he misses, but I'm more than happy to have him in the side.

And only Gresham has more goal assists for St Kilda since the start of last season than Kent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back