Preview Round 13 - Essendon Bombers vs Carlton Blues - Sunday, June 11th - 7:15 pm - For The Emblem!!!

* Carlton?

• * Carlton!

Votes: 34 89.5%
  • * Carlton!

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m assuming 2MP will play as the back up ruck…..hope so, Weed isn’t up to battling either Pittonet or DeKonig.
He would be okay against TDK. Just okay.

This to me is the probably a fairly season defining match. Win this and go 8-5 and we can dream of a top 6 finish perhaps. Lose it we are 7-6 and battling to make top 8 and likely on a trajectory to either scrape in or just fall short of finals.

Carlton have been getting absolutely smashed in the media for a while and nothing like a match against your arch enemy's to get them up and about. They strike me as a bit of a wounded animal going into this match. Finals may be beyond them but they would like nothing more than to strike a blow on us there's no doubt.

From our side our form has been OK without being great. Our midfield is significantly depleted whereas the rest of our side is fairly healthy so we'll be relying on guys like Stringer, Perkins and Langford to fill in some gaps in the midfield this week. It'll be interesting to see what we get from Wright in his first game of the year after a long term injury.

Matchup wise their key forwards are an issue for us - I don't really trust Laverde or BZT 100%. But the rest of their forward line kind of sucks so at least we should be able to zone off. They definitely have a huge edge in contested ball through the midfield but the worry for them is I reckon our smaller defenders are just way better players than their small forwards. I'd back in Redman and McGrath to beat their man and rebound plenty in this game.

For me it comes down to how much of an edge they get in the midfield vs how much of an edge our defense can get over their forward line.

This to me is the probably a fairly season defining match. Win this and go 8-5 and we can dream of a top 6 finish perhaps. Lose it we are 7-6 and battling to make top 8 and likely on a trajectory to either scrape in or just fall short of finals.

Carlton have been getting absolutely smashed in the media for a while and nothing like a match against your arch enemy's to get them up and about. They strike me as a bit of a wounded animal going into this match. Finals may be beyond them but they would like nothing more than to strike a blow on us there's no doubt.

From our side our form has been OK without being great. Our midfield is significantly depleted whereas the rest of our side is fairly healthy so we'll be relying on guys like Stringer, Perkins and Langford to fill in some gaps in the midfield this week. It'll be interesting to see what we get from Wright in his first game of the year after a long term injury.

Matchup wise their key forwards are an issue for us - I don't really trust Laverde or BZT 100%. But the rest of their forward line kind of sucks so at least we should be able to zone off. They definitely have a huge edge in contested ball through the midfield but the worry for them is I reckon our smaller defenders are just way better players than their small forwards. I'd back in Redman and McGrath to beat their man and rebound plenty in this game.

For me it comes down to how much of an edge they get in the midfield vs how much of an edge our defense can get over their forward line.
Yeah, the Blues forward line is a worry.

As you say, the midfield battle will be crucial. On paper they have a definite edge.

We need to really pressure Saad and any run they get from their defensive 50. Saad can penetrate deep into their fwd line so keeping him out of the corridoor could force them wide and bring C.Curnow/McKay higher up on the wings where they don't pose the same threat.

In any case, all the pressure is on the Blues. Early scoreboard pressure might get into their heads a bit.

Yeah, the Blues forward line is a worry.

As you say, the midfield battle will be crucial. On paper they have a definite edge.

We need to really pressure Saad and any run they get from their defensive 50. Saad can penetrate deep into their fwd line so keeping him out of the corridoor could force them wide and bring C.Curnow/McKay higher up on the wings where they don't pose the same threat.

In any case, all the pressure is on the Blues. Early scoreboard pressure might get into their heads a bit.
Saad's been out of form. Our knowledge of his mindset and game is key to keeping him unsettled. Need to get into his head early to minimise his confidence and his set play to run through the corridor.

Ridley's arguably the most important player for us this week. If he can help out with nullifying Charlie and Harry, goes a LONG way to helping us win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a Hail Mary here but die anayine have a spare ticket?
That's a bit much.

You could always say "if you have spare tickets, then * you" instead :)

Bit of a Hail Mary here but die anayine have a spare ticket?
Crackhead Xeno Carr GIF by iLOVEFRiDAY

Weiderman will be back up ruck. With Phillips out it is clear Essendon is going for a game plan to exploit the lack of leg speed around the ground for Carlton. If we can neutralise the impact of their bigger marking players, except for Wright, we'll hope to run and carry as well as spread their defence with chipping the ball around.

Interesting to see how it goes. It will be a game of contrasting styles. Not sure if our skills have been clean enough over the last fortnight to pull it off tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back